PDA

View Full Version : Shell V-Power Nitro+ Petrol

hansligg
30-06-14, 03:23 PM
Anyone used this and is this designed for ''V'' engines?

full tank for £60,

Was on bottom red line and filled to 40 Litres exactly, below red line must be 15 litres??? (v6 has 55 Litre capacity)

talkingcars
30-06-14, 05:38 PM

http://www.shell.co.uk/gbr/products-services/on-the-road/shell-fuels/shell-vpower-experience/shell-vpower-nitro-plus-unleaded.html

full tank for £60,

Was on bottom red line and filled to 40 Litres exactly, below red line must be 15 litres??? (v6 has 55 Litre capacity)

I get over 50 litres when my light comes on permanent.

I got 50 litres in the MGF and that wasn't that low.

easytime
30-06-14, 05:49 PM

full tank for £60,

It doesn't actually say it is for V engines. If you want a super fuel get some super and add a fuel octane booster.

Ritchy
30-06-14, 06:02 PM
I don't know if that is actually a serios question, what makes you think a v configured engine requires different fuelling to a In line engine?

petet16
30-06-14, 06:06 PM
How would fuel know if it was an inline, or v, or flat 4 or 6 engine :noexpression:

easytime
30-06-14, 06:42 PM
How would fuel know if it was an inline, or v, or flat 4 or 6 engine :noexpression:

It's those clever chaps at shell you know, they tinker about with it so as to make it really good for V engines and not work at all in any other. Very clever.

Bobdope2002
30-06-14, 07:11 PM
Is this a serious post

hansligg
30-06-14, 07:23 PM
So it takes a.post like this to get a response :whistle:

Bobdope2002
30-06-14, 08:02 PM
????

dave23572
01-07-14, 08:59 AM
I'm guessing the OP was asking if this fuel is worth the extra money over normal 95 octane unleaded?

I've tried V-power a few times in the 9 years I've had my 180 and never noticed any difference in engine performance.
Economy varies from tank to tank anyway (depending on driving and conditions) so it's hard to see if there's a difference in MPG.

Even if there was, I'd doubt it would be enough to offset the extra cost.
ie, it would still have a higher cost per mile.

hansligg
01-07-14, 12:13 PM
I'm guessing the OP was asking if this fuel is worth the extra money over normal 95 octane unleaded?

I've tried V-power a few times in the 9 years I've had my 180 and never noticed any difference in engine performance.
Economy varies from tank to tank anyway (depending on driving and conditions) so it's hard to see if there's a difference in MPG.

Even if there was, I'd doubt it would be enough to offset the extra cost.
ie, it would still have a higher cost per mile.

Exactly! ^

dave23572
01-07-14, 03:52 PM
Shell claim that the V-Power fuel cleans your engine over time, so benefits may be seen in the long term, but it's too expensive for me to experiment with over a long term, to find out if the claims are true.

talkingcars
01-07-14, 05:10 PM
I ran my mk1 for a while on Sainsburys and BP 98 ron and while the MPG was better than the mk2 by 1 MPG it wasn't cheaper to run overall.

Ritchy
01-07-14, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately I have to run v power in my car or it doesn't run right at all

Jason04r
01-07-14, 06:46 PM
Difference is to stop early combustion when the fuel is entered into the cylinder therefore a cleaner running engine and less knocking

ZSZRANDRF900
02-07-14, 11:52 AM
i may have mentioned this before ( cough cough) but i am a fuel system designer, and have been for 22 years. the uk 95 RON fuel is actually around 97. so stop throwing your money away folks. just buy the Normal 95 Ron. it has to be over spec so that on really hot spells in remote areas the spec never falls below advertised. you are best buying from a busy fuel station as they dont have it sitting in their fank for as long.

hansligg
02-07-14, 01:55 PM
i may have mentioned this before ( cough cough) but i am a fuel system designer, and have been for 22 years. the uk 95 RON fuel is actually around 97. so stop throwing your money away folks. just buy the Normal 95 Ron. it has to be over spec so that on really hot spells in remote areas the spec never falls below advertised. you are best buying from a busy fuel station as they dont have it sitting in their fank for as long.

So which in your opinion would you go for?

Jason04r
02-07-14, 02:16 PM
So which in your opinion would you go for?

As he stated - 95 :slap:

haha

ZSZRANDRF900
02-07-14, 03:39 PM
my 180 is making a bit more power at the moment, and i run it on 95 RON. i used to run my old one on LPG and you could feel a 10% ( ish) drop in power then, but i did a europe wide PSI Survey and RON survey and in the UK and in Germany the standard unleaded was at least 2 RON over stated at the pumps. Dont make this knowledge too widespread though or the fascists that run the fuel companies will use it to hike prices no doubt.

Fred68
02-07-14, 07:29 PM
I always ran my 180's on V power. They definitely do run better on it. I wouldn't say they use less fuel, they are just a bit more responsive.
I don't bother with my V6 Freelander as any improvements in response would be absorbed by the stupid auto gearbox LR decided to fit the KV6 with in a Freelander.

ZSZRANDRF900
03-07-14, 07:44 AM
its the higher PSI of the expensive fuels. they vapourise easier. uk fuel is between 6 and 9 PSI. when we are testing fuel systems in hot climate we use 14 and 16PSI fuel so it generates much higher vapour quicker. this enables us to check for carbon cannister saturation. the more efficient the fuel vapourises the less unburnt fuel left in the bore post ignition. this then " Cleans" the engine as the advert buff says, by actually slowing down the amount of carbon that blackens the engine oil.

hansligg
03-07-14, 09:17 AM
forgive my questioning... what is RON?

M17TT180
03-07-14, 09:32 AM
There is a really great wiki page on Ron makes interesting reading.

ZSZRANDRF900
03-07-14, 10:51 AM
Research Octane Number. its a standard that enable the engine designers and the fuel induatry to have a measureable octane scale.

in laymans terms the lower the Ron the faster the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder will burn. if the fuel burns too fast you get "Knocking" and engine components suffer damage. but the higher the RON the higher the exhaust emissions. this is why USA and Australian cars use a lower RON fuel. so to avoid knocking they adjust the ignition timing and reduce the knocking. at the expense of engine output. one of the reasons that yank tanks have bigger engines, they are running on low octane fuel and make less power.

ian zs180
05-07-14, 08:48 AM
I have always used v power in my zed and it runs fine on it my main reason for using it is for the cleaning it does but recently my local shell garage is closed for refurb work and wont be open until September . So I have started using Tesco momentum and ive got to say my zed feels a little smoother and a bit more responsive now I don't know if its my imagination but I think I might stick on this momentum seems good stuff . It,s only 1p a litre more than standard shell fuel so happy days .

red robbo
05-07-14, 10:27 AM
I run my 180 religiously on Momentum.
And I can say it's no figment of my imagination that the engine LOVES it!
Idle, throttle response, acceleration noticeably better.
A few pence more per litre over regular unleaded, but worth it for my car. Obviously, different cars, different results.

Lukeus101
05-07-14, 11:51 AM
Since we had the Focus ST ive never put "normal" unleaded in...just seems wrong to even think about it.

easytime
05-07-14, 08:34 PM
I run my 180 religiously on Momentum.
And I can say it's no figment of my imagination that the engine LOVES it!
Idle, throttle response, acceleration noticeably better.
A few pence more per litre over regular unleaded, but worth it for my car. Obviously, different cars, different results.

I agree the 180 does go better with the good fuel. Many years ago on forums people would argue about whether the engine could actually use the fuel. Many said the car could not adjust the timing! More said that it could adjust in advance only but not retard!!! These folks swore by those sentiments and not until someone from MGR confirmed that timing is fluid that the argument was closed.

Fred68
06-07-14, 02:24 PM
I agree the 180 does go better with the good fuel. Many years ago on forums people would argue about whether the engine could actually use the fuel. Many said the car could not adjust the timing! More said that it could adjust in advance only but not retard!!! These folks swore by those sentiments and not until someone from MGR confirmed that timing is fluid that the argument was closed.

From memory, the timing will advance a few degrees if the ECU doesn't get any knock returned by the knock sensors. This is why better fuels work better. I didn't think engine ECU could advance the ignition very far, far enough for optimum performance anyway, but at least it won't be retarding the ignition either. But if the MG Rover guy says timing is fluid, I guess it must be. Maybe I should run my V6 Freelander on it too.

hansligg
07-07-14, 09:59 AM
Filled up 2 tanks of V Shell V-Power now and It uses the petrol so quickly i can actually watch it diminish! used a quarter of a tank (sittong the the first line from full tank, and ive just managed over 90 miles. not good considering I done 90 miles before it went below the full tank mark on usual standard unleaded.

Gonna try Morrisons fuel next full tank.

Although I prefer sainsburies prices regardless of what they have. £55 for a full tank is spot on!

ZSZRANDRF900
07-07-14, 11:54 AM
the biggest benefit will be less carbon into your engine oil every 1000 miles.