PDA

View Full Version : forums quiet,or getting quieter

andys1981
02-07-14, 11:21 PM
when i joined 4 years ago it was booming with info,met new folk local to me,and ive met some great new guys,but its going quiet,hate logging in and seeing hardly any replies to posts,i know a few guys have got new cars etc,but they still come on,if i see a thread i will comment with any knowledge i know of,but it seems your getting more views than comments these days,can we make it any better lads???

talkingcars
03-07-14, 04:17 AM
In the short term most forums get quitter in summer, in the long term there are less ZS's on the road.

Jay-ZS+
03-07-14, 05:48 AM
Part of the problem may be that as a forum gets older it builds up a wealth of knowledge that is archived. Then people can search for previous topics and may not have to post new threads. With the lack of new models/development that's worth doing on the zs engines, there's only so much that can really be talked about.

Think a lot of people talk on faceache now which will have an impact.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

dave23572
03-07-14, 06:21 AM
Incidentally the MGZS X-Powerforums have come alive again recently after being virtually dead for a long time. Lots of new posts. Maybe everyone's gone over there.
I always check both.

daytona365
03-07-14, 06:53 AM
Im always on and posting useless junk lol...

ZS
03-07-14, 06:54 AM
To be honest I admin a few Car forums and can say that it is the same across all the boards.

If you can think of anything that we can do to stimulate interest then please let us know and we will consider if its possible :)

The biggest problem we have as a single model forum, a model that hasn't been produced for 8 years or so, is that there are more and more ZS's being broken for spares rather than sold to enthusiasts, or they are going to boy racers who pick them up for cheap and rag the bones off of them.

That and Facebook and other social media sites, back in the day they didn't exist and people used these forums to communicate with each other, nowadays you are spoilt for choice on how to communicate and people tend to meet on the forum, then move to facebook to chat, thus detracting from the forum's post count.

These are the issues affecting quite a few of the forums around the Internet.

Smokey
03-07-14, 07:05 AM
I agree it is quieter and as mentioned, the summer months, single model forum etc are a cause. I would say Facebook is the biggest contributor though as it is always buzzing with pictures, questions etc. It is so much more accessible than a forum these days.

The only sad thing is, it's the same mundane questions being asked that has been answered plenty on the forums but people just aren't interested in signing up.

There also aren't as many meets as there used to be, most notable in Scotland. The site track car project will be brought back to life next year once I have sorted out other things that are taking up time.

The only other thing that kept the forum buzzing was Forza but there just isn't enough interest to run a season yet on the XBOX One.

Either way, although the posts have died down, it will no doubt pick up again, there have been a few member looking to or already having returned to a ZS so it has it's hook!

M17TT180
03-07-14, 07:06 AM
Regardless of how quiet it is i'm sure there will always be the base group of supporters.

stamford
03-07-14, 07:10 AM
A sign of the times and as already highlighted we own a particular model that is obsolete with fewer ZS's on the road plus information can be found without interaction. Not sure what can be done without losing the core focus and it becoming another facebook group, do we actually need another? I don't think it is a problem due to the fact we know we are in a niche group here with very little room to expand. It'll continue as long as there are ZS owners, one day it will be even smaller with less zeds out there. Another forum I frequent from time to time has less traffic as the cars are very rare so it is expected.

ZS
03-07-14, 07:28 AM
It'll continue as long as there are ZS owners, one day it will be even smaller with less zeds out there.

Or people who like the ZS, you know those Enthusiasts :)

TBH I think long term the other ZS forums will probably die off due to costs etc, where as (at the moment at least) we are in a fairly unique position with regards hosting and forum costs...

When that happens it will condense the enthusiasts down to one or two forums and there will be some very special cars on them... or so I would like to think :)

petet16
03-07-14, 07:42 AM
As stated in the above posts, all forums are quieter these days, the RT forums used to be buzzing, but are virtually dead now, all the good info is still there though.
One thing I have noticed on the faceache groups is the amount of duff info that gets posted compared to the good stuff available on the forums.

6282tom
03-07-14, 09:34 AM
Agree with all the above about facebook groups frequently see questions about coolant/head gaskets, induction, kv6 manifolds when all the info can be found with some patient searching of the forums. Although I'm fairly new to this forum I find it's a better resource for info and feedback than facebook. The increasing domination of social media continues...

grimmy
03-07-14, 09:43 AM
For me this was always on the cards but the saving grace for us is that there are a couple of tight groups around us that have became personal friends through the forum and for me that is the reason why this site will have a bit of longevity than many other single model forums.

peterzs
03-07-14, 09:51 AM
Maybe we should promote a few more meets, I know we dont get a big turn out but it would grow. Specially if we promoted them of F/B.

Same old story though, petrol costs, just finding the time.

All make it difficult.

If I see anything on F/B I try and post up one of our replies, keeps theMGZS.co.uk in front of new owners that may not know of us.

As they say, "use it or lose it."

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

andys1981
03-07-14, 11:02 AM
yeah i can see that it gets quieter in summer,prefer logging in here,rather than facebook,this sites always my first click lol,ive learned a hell of a lot off this forum,with doing stuff,and met a lot of good friends,who are fairly local aswell.
us scottish guys need to get a wee meet on the go soon,and blair,we need to get the track car going again,it all takes time and money,but glad to be part of this forum as its a good one.

adam
03-07-14, 11:08 AM
I left most of the Facebook groups as they were just annoying me in the end, my news feed was filling up with rubbish. I much prefer a forum where I can pick and choose what I look at.

p_b82
03-07-14, 11:24 AM
I always hit new posts when I log in, but unless I have anything real to add I dont tend to comment ' for the sake of it'

I have turned off the 'following' options on the faceache groups, as got fed up of the ***** they generate, and the repeated and often incorrect responses.

I'll scan through the posts most days to see if there is anything I care about though!

And more meets would be good, but as ever with a group as diverse as we are location wise, finding a time/place to get people there is always going to be difficult.

Not sure how to generate more traffic, but most of us are either finished projects, still going on them slowly, or sold up, so not much 'new' things to add

M17TT180
03-07-14, 12:41 PM
I'll be down in Sussex in September could throw together some sort of seaside meet for those of us down south.

peterzs
03-07-14, 01:24 PM
Always good to meet up and get to know, whos, who.

:-D:-D:-D

Dan1971
03-07-14, 08:14 PM
I am on here every day - most days there's a fair few threads with updates on them. New members still signing up and a fair few of us who don't even have a ZS any more coming on and giving our input.

Everything has a shelf life, but, in my opinion we have a good while to go before we reach our sell by date ...

Ritchy
03-07-14, 08:21 PM
This is the only forum I really go on these days, bu only really for the people and if I can help I input, but most subjects have been covered so many times and this forum doesn't seem to attract half as many tech questions as the zr forum did, still good to see what people are doing but tbh personally I have lost most of my intrest in cars these days as it is my job,

daytona365
04-07-14, 07:20 AM
I am on here every day - most days there's a fair few threads with updates on them. New members still signing up and a fair few of us who don't even have a ZS any more coming on and giving our input.

Everything has a shelf life, but, in my opinion we have a good while to go before we reach our sell by date ... lol............:rofl: