PDA

View Full Version : Something draining the battery

Snoopye
10-07-14, 04:12 PM
Hi i have a mk1 180 hatch and as i work away alot everytime someone goes to start it the battery has drained. This happens after a couple of days which osnt normal especially for a new battery. Im wondering if anyone has had the same problem?

peterzs
10-07-14, 04:15 PM
My derv will last a couple of weeks and then will need a slave battery to kick it over.

I bought a solar trickle charger off ebay, that seems to work. £13.50 ish.

Think it the clock, alarm etc that drains it down.

Suppose its worth checking all the earth points and battery terminals are tight and clean.

;););)

petet16
10-07-14, 04:29 PM
It's worth checking the glove box light, and boot light aren't staying on, the battery shouldn't be going flat in a few days.

easytime
10-07-14, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately this is normal. I have been struggling for a decade with this. I can get 5 days max before it is so low that it will not start. 7 days and it is below 6 volts and drained. If you are laying her up for a while disconnect the battery or hook up a trickle charger.

M17TT180
10-07-14, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately this is normal. I have been struggling for a decade with this. I can get 5 days max before it is so low that it will not start. 7 days and it is below 6 volts and drained. If you are laying her up for a while disconnect the battery or hook up a trickle charger.

Surely that's not normal! I've had 4 zs's on the road and the batterys have never gone flat.

Funny tho that I only had the astra a couple of months and the battery on that died lol

Jay-ZS+
10-07-14, 09:34 PM
Alternator definitely working? As said check connection points. I parked mine up for a few months over a snowy winter one year and it still fired up alright.

easytime
10-07-14, 10:06 PM
Surely that's not normal! I've had 4 zs's on the road and the batterys have never gone flat.

Funny tho that I only had the astra a couple of months and the battery on that died lol

It is for mine and has been since new. They use battery when parked up, it is not the alternator as I have a volt meter in the car dash.

ZS
10-07-14, 10:14 PM
It is for mine and has been since new. They use battery when parked up, it is not the alternator as I have a volt meter in the car dash.

All 7 of my previous ZS's have not suffered from this issue... So I don't think it's normal. Are you sure your battery is rated correctly for the car? And also that your aftermarket head unit or amp (if fitted) isn't pulling the power when the car is off?

M17TT180
10-07-14, 10:23 PM
All 7 of my previous ZS's have not suffered from this issue... So I don't think it's normal. Are you sure your battery is rated correctly for the car? And also that your aftermarket head unit or amp (if fitted) isn't pulling the power when the car is off?

That was my thought :)

ZRed
11-07-14, 08:36 AM
The wife? Bzzzzzzzzzzz

I`ll get me coat.....

petet16
11-07-14, 10:09 AM
A simple test to see what is drawing power when the car is dormant is to connect the multimeter between the battery negative terminal and the negative lead and see how much current is being pulled, you can then pull fuses until you find which circuit is the problem.

R8NMG
11-07-14, 11:16 AM
I don't know how long it will last but 3-4 weeks without driving, my car still starts up no problem.

Snoopye
12-07-14, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys ill try and find somewhere that might be draining it. Its definatly charging once driven so its not the alternator its only when it is stood for a few days it will die. Ill just disconect it whilse im away not really a problem.