PDA

View Full Version : kv6 engine

rover_ed
11-07-14, 06:45 PM
Am i right in saying the kv6 is rovers engine not bmw i no some parts mite be but every time i see a car add saying BMW engine really winds me up.am i mad ?

Lukeus101
11-07-14, 07:06 PM
Its a Rover engine as far as Im aware. First found in the 800, then the Zed ranges then went on into a Kia under license in later life :)

daytona365
11-07-14, 07:11 PM
Rover group 100%

petet16
11-07-14, 07:11 PM
Yep Rover engine, although some BMW money was used to do some re-engineering, the kv6 that appeared first in the 800 used to eat many head gaskets.

peterzs
11-07-14, 07:16 PM
The ZT Derv engine is a BMW Lump.

rover_ed
11-07-14, 07:34 PM
The derv is yes but ehen people put in brakets on there ad is a bmw engine so no issues makes me mad.and probley many of you think i am now

MG ZS STE
11-07-14, 09:04 PM
I guess technically it is the BMW "re-engineered" KV6. I know they got rid of the metal thermostat and plenum and replaced with plastic and redesigned the VIS system. Did they introduce the harmonic balancer on the cams as well?

pheelay
11-07-14, 10:00 PM
I've seen BMW marked on some small bits in the engine bay.

I guess technically it is the BMW "re-engineered" KV6. I know they got rid of the metal thermostat and plenum and replaced with plastic and redesigned the VIS system. Did they introduce the harmonic balancer on the cams as well?

Seriously? the 3 most common faliures on the kv6?

MG ZS STE
11-07-14, 10:28 PM
Seriously? the 3 most common faliures on the kv6?

Just something I read on the web so could be BS. In the known issues bit at the bottom.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_KV6_engine

Mark S
12-07-14, 09:02 AM
the plastic vis was designed in house by rover guys, bm did not get involved in the inlet,

many electrical connectors are bm and say that on them, that's about it!

ZSZRANDRF900
14-07-14, 01:47 PM
Ok, just to clarify, the engine was designed by Honda, as their 2.7 V^ was a great engine but had poor emmisions. Honda designed the engine and hand built the early ones under an old agreement to Rover ( honda needed to get more units built for their USA cars badged as Acura). the 800's took the engine but it was a constant problem for Rover as the engines varied from engine to engine due to the hand building and the tolerance stack up for cylinder liners causing over and under compression on head gaskets. BMW came in and redeisgned the process ( delaying the initial launch of 75's until BMW signed off quality as being consistent). Contrary to poppular belief, the Plastic Manifolds and VIS are NOT rover design but BMW design. Rover designed the VIS to be metal, but BMW veto'd that). see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_KV6_engine

I would love to be able to put the old 2.7 Honda lump in a ZS.

Skillen
14-07-14, 02:23 PM
Says in that link it was designed and built by rover to replace the Honda. Not designed by Honda to replace their own unit?

petet16
14-07-14, 02:35 PM
It wasn't designed by Honda.

MG ZS STE
14-07-14, 02:48 PM
Could they mean the honda C-Series?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C_engine

Skillen
14-07-14, 02:49 PM
More than likely as that has a 2.5 in the range

MG ZS STE
14-07-14, 03:00 PM
So Rover took the Honda C27A and developed that into the KV6? It does make reference to the variable length intake manifold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C_engine#C27A

Skillen
14-07-14, 03:09 PM
So Rover took the Honda C27A and developed that into the KV6? It does make reference to the variable length intake manifold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C_engine#C27A

I do t think it was based on another engine and was made and designed in house.
Also lots of engines have variable intakes so again I don't think it's taken maybe inspired though lol.

ZSZRANDRF900
14-07-14, 03:36 PM
i stand corrected. just checked with the main powertrain manager here, he was small engines manager at the time for Rover group. he tells me that the block, and heads were initially drafted by Honda with a terrible injection system and made in a bespoke workshop in Swindon. Honda tried to sting Rover on cost so the BMW parents told honda to shove it. BMW then invested in the tooling to cast the blocks and heads. a service bulitin was issued to replace every single engine that came in in 800 series with Oil consumption, or HG issues. BMW sent in a production "black belt" team to sort out the slippage in the liners, and make sure it was ready for 75 and freelander.
then the lads at longbridge designed the rocker covers and engine accoustics and BMW management told Rover who in Germany was making the manifolds and VIS, rover had no choice on sourcing. I was wrong. i admit it

easytime
14-07-14, 06:21 PM
i stand corrected. just checked with the main powertrain manager here, he was small engines manager at the time for Rover group. he tells me that the block, and heads were initially drafted by Honda with a terrible injection system and made in a bespoke workshop in Swindon. Honda tried to sting Rover on cost so the BMW parents told honda to shove it. BMW then invested in the tooling to cast the blocks and heads. a service bulitin was issued to replace every single engine that came in in 800 series with Oil consumption, or HG issues. BMW sent in a production "black belt" team to sort out the slippage in the liners, and make sure it was ready for 75 and freelander.
then the lads at longbridge designed the rocker covers and engine accoustics and BMW management told Rover who in Germany was making the manifolds and VIS, rover had no choice on sourcing. I was wrong. i admit it

Fair play bud.

talkingcars
14-07-14, 09:39 PM
......just checked with the main powertrain manager here, he was small engines manager..........

always room for stories like this.

peterzs
14-07-14, 09:59 PM
Honda, were daft enough to let me play with a Honda Legend Coupe. 3.2 V6 Great car and certainly shifted.

http://www.helpfindmea.co.uk/cars/specs/honda-legend-specifications-303/legend-coupe-91-95-32-v6-2dr-auto-specifications-5150.aspx

:wave::wave::wave:

Skillen
14-07-14, 10:32 PM
always room for stories like this.

Agreed! If you can get the info!