PDA

View Full Version : Remote turbo

Jason04r
16-07-14, 10:19 AM
Been looking into turbos for some reason , seems the engine bay is cramped i looked for other ways and came across this:

http://ststurbo.com/why_rear_mount.php < Website

Quick pic:

http://ststurbo.com/img_sliders/twin_turbo_rear_view.jpg

Seems the large amount of room we have behind the rear bumper i wonder why nobody has given this a go in the ZS.

thoughts?

ZS
16-07-14, 10:22 AM
I think there was a thread about this a year or so ago... Can't remember the reasons it wasn't worth it, but I think power increase was next to nothing

petet16
16-07-14, 10:25 AM
It has been discussed at length on other forums, the Yanks are pretty keen on the idea, one of the obvious drawbacks is that a turbo requires high energy exhaust gasses to work effectively, which is why they are generally mounted close to the engine, there is also the problem of the long journey the intake air has to make from the compressor outlet to the engine, oil and water feeds for the turbo are also going to take some thought, an oil tank and pump in the boot seems to be the easiest solution.

stamford
16-07-14, 12:11 PM
It's been around for some years, a novel idea but not something that could work 100% efficiently without ongoing development I reckon. Plus the components will be open to the elements.

petet16
16-07-14, 12:51 PM
They appear to work better on large capacity V8's as well, if you'd achieve the same results on a smaller capacity V6 or inline 4 is debateable.

Mark S
16-07-14, 12:53 PM
you could turbo the zs v6 with a decent large turbo running very low boost and get some great results, lots of torque, no lag etc, it just needs doing right. how does 260bhp at 4psi sound?

Skillen
16-07-14, 01:44 PM
you could turbo the zs v6 with a decent large turbo running very low boost and get some great results, lots of torque, no lag etc, it just needs doing right. how does 260bhp at 4psi sound?

Good I suppose.
I'd push it far too far lol

DuckFeet
16-07-14, 01:57 PM
Wasn't it the mx5 turboot, and I think there was a 205gti tailbo. Lot of work involved. And talk of cracked turbos when driving through puddles.

petet16
16-07-14, 02:05 PM
You would certainly need to do some work to protect the turbo and filter from getting waterlogged.

carmadbaker
16-07-14, 06:08 PM
i fancied doing this as a project! stripped out, turbo in tyre well, exhaust out the centre, boost pipes running inside to an I/C up front, rear coolant and oil setup, forged engine, omex management etc etc.. would be epic