PDA

View Full Version : Passed the milestone tonight (+ a couple of niggles I need help with)

Skillen
20-07-14, 10:38 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/cskil/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsba176cd3.jpg

Tried to catch it on 100k but I forgot about it and by the time I pulled in in was 100,001!

Not too bad for the old girl!

Now to the niggles:
I noticed before when it was pouring down in Cambridgeshire that every time my wipers wiped the radio signal got noticeably worse then returned to normal at rest.

Is this a bad earth? Do they even share a common earth? Anyone else experienced this?

Second niggle:
When I'm moving along wether with constant speed/revs or accelerating I get a high pitched whine which changes with revs. It goes when I lift off the accelerator (I forgot to check with the clutch disengaged.)

Gearbox it seems like to me but which bit would people say it is? Bearing somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Deckz
20-07-14, 11:18 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh142/cskil/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsba176cd3.jpg

Tried to catch it on 100k but I forgot about it and by the time I pulled in in was 100,001!

You pulled in and where still doing 40mph? :shutup:

B8sy
20-07-14, 11:34 PM
Lol

Skillen
20-07-14, 11:39 PM
You pulled in and where still doing 40mph? :shutup:

Busted
Haha I kinda did it on the fly lol. :look::innocent:
'Twas a long lay-by so just went for it ha!

andys1981
21-07-14, 12:45 PM
i have the same problem with mine,when the wipers are on,my car has the alledged wire fitted to the earth,to stop the voltage spiking,but ive had a look,and its not there,have been meaning to get the wire/suppressor thing,as when my wipers are on my rear heated switch illuminates every 3 swipes or so,window has went down once lol.

Skillen
21-07-14, 12:57 PM
I didn't know there was a wire!
Where would I find this?

andys1981
21-07-14, 01:04 PM
if its been fitted,you should have a white blob of paint on the drivers side bonnet hinge,i havent got the wire fitted,petet16 has some knowledge on this aswell,im just going to work sorry mate.

petet16
21-07-14, 03:02 PM
As Andy say's, if it was fitted at build, or by a dealer there should be a blob of White paint on the drivers bonnet hinge.

The suppressor itself should be spliced into the loom from the wiper stalk on the steering column.

petet16
21-07-14, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by MG ROVER GROUP
SERVICE ACTION BULLETIN – AD196 ISSUE 1 ENGLISH Page 1 of 4
© MG Rover Group Ltd 2004
MG ROVER GROUP
SERVICE ACTION BULLETIN
Model/Derivative:
Rover 25 / MG ZR / Streetwise (04 MY)
Rover 45 / MG ZS (04 MY)
No:
Date:
Section:
AD196 Issue 1
ELECTRICAL
Title:
SCU MALFUNCTION – TRANSIENT SPIKE FROM WIPER MOTOR
Affected range:
Selective vehicles only between the following VIN ranges, refer to separate VIN list relating to your CI Code
for vehicles requiring action.
Rover 25 / MG ZR / Streetwise RF 778997 to 788993 (04 MY)
Rover 45 / MG ZS RT 637209 to 646264 (04 MY)
VIN LIST: To obtain a VIN list applicable to your CI code, refer to the mgroverconnections.com web site. Go to Technical Help –
Bulletins – Service Action Bulletins….follow instructions on Service Action Bulletins welcome page.
Description:
During windscreen wiper intermittent wipe operation, involuntary operation of either of the following may
occur:
• The boot or tailgate latch may electronically release, (unlock sound can be heard from rear of vehicle
and the boot/tailgate light may illuminate)
• The drivers window may open
• The horn may sound
• Auxiliary lamps may flash on and off.
This condition is caused by the emission of a high voltage transient spike from the wiper motor system
during intermittent wipe operation. This causes the SCU to malfunction may result in the above functional
problems.
Action required: (for detailed procedure – see page 2)
• Fit suppressor to the wiper circuit as shown.
• Confirm vehicle has been actioned by applying identification paint to the right hand bonnet hinge bracket
bolt, see illustrations below.
Rover 25 / MG ZR / Streetwise Rover 45 / MG ZS
CUSTOMER CONTACT: The Service Manager should contact owners to arrange to carry out this action IMMEDIATELY (in cases
where you are unable to carry out this action during PDI or prior to sale).
VEHICLE TRANSFERS: Should any vehicle on your list have been transferred to another dealer, please notify the Service Manager so
that he / she can ensure the transferred vehicles receive the required attention.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If a vehicle sold by your company is operating in another part of the country, advise the owner/operator to make
arrangements with a conveniently placed MG Rover dealer to enable this Service Action to be carried out.
SERVICE ACTION BULLETIN – AD196 ISSUE 1 ENGLISH Page 2 of 4
Parts information:
XBS000040 Suppressor (1 off required)
YPC116330 IDC Connector (1 off required) NOTE: These are supplied 5 per bag
Warranty information:
UK & Importer markets
Use Campaign code: A196
Quote option code: A
This will credit you with 0.30 hours labour plus the value of material (including connector)
NSCs
Use Complaint code: D196
Use S.R.O. 86.70.88/71
Time allowance: 0.30 hours
Detail:
Rover 25 / MG ZR / Streetwise:
1. Remove lower facia closing panel from drivers side.
2. Remove the upper half of the steering column cowl.
NOTE: Use a trim tool to assist separation, take care not to damage the plastic cowl halves.
3. Locate the rear of the wiper switch and disconnect the 8 way connector.
4. Referring to illustration 1, locate and remove the 10mm fixing nut ‘A’ from the right hand side of the incar
fuse-box.
5. Obtain suppressor ‘B’ (part number XBS000040) and position the earth foot between fuse-box lug and
the fixing bracket with the suppressor facing up. Refit fuse-box fixing nut and tighten.
6. Route the suppressor fly-lead up the steering column so that it terminates adjacent to the wiper switch
connector and cut off the bared wires from the end of the lead.
7. Using the IDC connector (part number YPC116330), connect the suppressor fly-lead to the ‘Blue and
Light Green’ wire at the rear of the wiper switch connector (illustration 2).
SERVICE ACTION BULLETIN – AD196 ISSUE 1 ENGLISH Page 3 of 4
8. Using black electrical tape, secure the fly-lead to the steering column harness protection, ensure that flylead
is tidy, i.e. that no hanging wire sections exist.
9. Refit the wiper switch connector.
10. Refit the steering column cowls and closing panel.
11. Confirm that vehicle has been actioned by applying a dab of white identification paint to the right hand
bonnet hinge bracket bolt. NOTE: For white vehicles use black identification paint.
Rover 45 / MG ZS:
1. Remove lower facia closing panel from drivers side.
2. Remove the upper half of the steering column cowl.
NOTE: Use a trim tool to assist separation, take care not to damage the plastic cowl halves.
3. Locate the rear of the wiper switch and disconnect the 8 way connector.
4. Referring to illustration 1 (RHD) or illustration 2 (LHD), locate and remove the 10mm fixing nut ‘A’ from
the in-car fuse-box extension bracket as shown.
1 2
5. Obtain suppressor ‘B’ (part number XBS000040) and position the earth foot between fuse-box lug ‘C’
and the fixing bracket with the suppressor facing up. Refit fuse-box fixing nut and tighten.
6. Route the suppressor fly-lead up the steering column so that it terminates adjacent to the wiper switch
connector and cut off the bared wires from the end of the lead.
7. Using the IDC connector (part number YPC116330), connect the suppressor fly-lead to the ‘Blue’ wire at
the rear of the wiper switch connector (illustration 3).
SERVICE ACTION BULLETIN – AD196 ISSUE 1 ENGLISH Page 4 of 4
8. Using black electrical tape, secure the fly-lead to the steering column harness protection, ensure that flylead
is tidy, i.e. that no hanging wire sections exist.
9. Refit the wiper switch connector.
10. Refit the steering column cowls and closing panel.
11. Confirm that vehicle has been actioned by applying a dab of white identification paint to the right hand
bonnet hinge bracket bolt. NOTE: For white vehicles use black identification paint.
Additional information:
Prior to the above instruction, some vehicles in service were rectified by fitting a suppressor with a crimp
type connector to the wiper wiring adjacent to the wiper motor. Since this is an under bonnet (wet) area,
corrosion of the connector can take place after a period of time. Due to this, the suppressor will require to
be removed and the wiring repaired by using an approved solder sleeve connector part number YZV000010.
Following this, the vehicle will then require the latest suppressor to be fitted as described in this bulletin.

petet16
21-07-14, 03:17 PM
Suppressor kit http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XBS000040