PDA

View Full Version : feeling old

ZSZRANDRF900
22-07-14, 08:28 AM
Due to the vegetarians that run the City council highways department, and their decision to once again close all of the road tunnels in Birmingham for 6 weeks for spring cleaning, and the general carnage that then ensues due to 100 million ( most likely not insured) cars marauding about clogging up my commute to work and back, i decided to Cycle the 16 miles to work today. Now i am 47 next birthday, not fit, over weight and diabetic, but still enjoy a bit of a cycle about. My bike is possibly worth its weight in scrap so i was never going to set any land speed records, or even emulate the tour de garlic, so each time someone dressed as a sponsored wasp over took me going up hill on his £3 million pound Bordman special built from spufftanium by lotus, i just thought, 47 soon, fat and not fit, dont let it bother yu, just think of the £10 you save today on fuel. so you can imagine how heart breaking the humiliation is when a young piece of totty ( sorry girls, sexist i know) came past me, with a dog in the basket on her Nanny McFee special, I almost threw the bike in the canal and gave up. Oh well, a lot more down hill going home. not looking forward to it though, i feel like i have just taken my turn in the barrel !!!!

peterzs
22-07-14, 09:08 AM
couple of weeks and you will be zooming along!!!

:beer::beer::beer:

ZSZRANDRF900
22-07-14, 09:09 AM
or in a ditch ha ha

peterzs
22-07-14, 09:13 AM
long as she doesnt offer to put you in the basket!!!

:bike::bike::bike:

shycho
22-07-14, 09:16 AM
I've just started cycling to/from work once/twice a week. I'm 27, and not diabetic however i'm fairly certain I saw a pregnant woman pushing a pram up a hill faster than I was cycling.

The way I look at it is i'm having fun (on the down hill bits) and am doing myself some good so it's all worth it in the end.

Keep at it, and think of all the money you're saving which can then be spent on the car ;)

peterzs
22-07-14, 09:17 AM
Oops!!!

ZSZRANDRF900
22-07-14, 09:41 AM
my mate said, every day you cycle, stick a tenner in a drawer. if nothing else it'll buy a nice wreath. swine

stamford
22-07-14, 10:29 AM
I know exactly what you mean! After having cheapish bikes I soon realised that a quality bike does make a huge difference. I ditched my last bike which I thought was decent, had suspension all around and disc brakes but god was it heavy going. I bought an old Specialized mountain bike and what a difference. Easier to ride, smoother and many kilos lighter. Makes light work of gradients, I'm 49 and just over 15st and it goes very well. I would suggest if you intend on making a go of this try a better bike. My one cost less than £200 from a bike shop who deals with quality used as well as new. These all singing and dancing cheap brands are not worth it at all, better off buying quality even if well used.

Maxfly
22-07-14, 10:58 AM
I'll second micks sentiments and that Boardmans bike is not too pricey depending on model. I got mine through my works cycle2work scheme and for the route I take its near perfect. Some hilly sections, all road/pavement and the hybrid set works well. A bit of speed (although on some of the downhills i could use an extra cog or two).
I have started cycling every day i can to work now to lose weight and have shed a stone so far, also i have started using an app called Strava which i find great for competing against myself and seeing times fall. I have only been using it about a week and some segments i am around 10 secs quicker for about a half mile distance:)

ZSZRANDRF900
22-07-14, 12:07 PM
i will look out for a decent spec 2nd hand one. i will need a hybrid set up as i am as old and siezed as the tin man from Oz. thanks for the advice

MG ZS STE
22-07-14, 12:19 PM
You can get electric bicycles now you know.

ZSZRANDRF900
22-07-14, 12:23 PM
yeah but thats like kissing ya sister, just wrong. in my humble opinion.

Dan1971
22-07-14, 03:50 PM
Watched quite an inspirational cycling programme on sky sports and it's still on catch up if you've got it.

Basically - 3 1hr shows of Nelson the boxer, Will Greenwood rugby star, the female ice skater from the winter olympics that kept getting disqualified despite being the fastest there by miles, and a sky presenter training for and then doing the Yorkshire stage of the tour de france. About 130 miles.

Good watch if you're interested. Also got me looking at bikes and I've not done pedal bikes - plenty motorcycling in my past - for about 30yrs !

ZSZRANDRF900
23-07-14, 07:42 AM
cant move my legs today. total of 34 miles yesterday, then went out on my Motorbike for the tuesday night meet. Cramp from Midnight til 3 am in my thighs. Walking like i have soiled myself today.

p_b82
23-07-14, 08:43 AM
I second the get a decent bike comment - I bought myself a Scott hard tail 27 speed MTB with front forks, and have put on road orientated tyres... was a *lot* for me at the time of £350, but you can get so much better bikes out there for less now - and trawl the 2nd hand's.

Make sure the bike is as light as you can get away with in your price bracket, and then try it before you buy it - i'd go to a proper bike shop to get a frame fitting idea, being 6'4" obviously I need a larger frame than some - but the biggest which I assumed would be what I needed, was not comfortable - was reaching too much and put a lot of stress on my lower back and reduced efficiency at the pedals.

I have used a cateye style speedo on my bike for years, tracks total Odometer while the batteries last (just replaced with the 3rd set!) and a host of other trip stuff... though I am sure that you can get fancier ones, or things that tie into phone apps now.

I ride to an average speed on a journey - my aim is to get back fit enough to match 15mph on a 15 mile trip with a mixture of flat (mostly) and hills due to living in bristol...

I used to do this loop, where I had no hills to start it (and only a half mile rather than 1.5miles) to get to the cyclepath with MTB tyres on, so I should be able to crack it soon, but still way short last night after only 10 miles and 12mph average.... damn those hills lol

ZSZRANDRF900
23-07-14, 09:24 AM
I second the get a decent bike comment - I bought myself a Scott hard tail 27 speed MTB with front forks, and have put on road orientated tyres... was a *lot* for me at the time of £350, but you can get so much better bikes out there for less now - and trawl the 2nd hand's.

Make sure the bike is as light as you can get away with in your price bracket, and then try it before you buy it - i'd go to a proper bike shop to get a frame fitting idea, being 6'4" obviously I need a larger frame than some - but the biggest which I assumed would be what I needed, was not comfortable - was reaching too much and put a lot of stress on my lower back and reduced efficiency at the pedals.

I have used a cateye style speedo on my bike for years, tracks total Odometer while the batteries last (just replaced with the 3rd set!) and a host of other trip stuff... though I am sure that you can get fancier ones, or things that tie into phone apps now.

I ride to an average speed on a journey - my aim is to get back fit enough to match 15mph on a 15 mile trip with a mixture of flat (mostly) and hills due to living in bristol...

I used to do this loop, where I had no hills to start it (and only a half mile rather than 1.5miles) to get to the cyclepath with MTB tyres on, so I should be able to crack it soon, but still way short last night after only 10 miles and 12mph average.... damn those hills lol

I am off on Holiday next friday, so once i am back i will be looking to buy a 2nd hand bike.

peterzs
23-07-14, 09:32 AM
Have to come down to Poole Quay. Big motor bike event, every Tuesday night.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11258337.600_bikes_cruise_down_Poole_Quay_for_popu lar_Bike_of_the_Night_event/

stamford
23-07-14, 11:02 AM
If only just in the saddle I am not surprised you are stiff! Too much too soon matey! :laugh: Been there done it etc :whistle: