PDA

View Full Version : blue smoke on diesel

jonesy
28-07-14, 06:26 PM
mgzs td intermittent clouds of blue smoke when stationary sometimes,could this be a faulty pcv valve or is it the dreaded turbo oil seals,getting rather embarrassing when sitting in traffic,i cleaned out the pcv valve and I could blow through it both ways shouldn't it only blow one way, thought maybe oil is getting into the turbo and burning off

peterzs
28-07-14, 08:56 PM
How many miles you done.

Have you cleaned out the air intake on top of the engine.

Air filter OK.

What happens when its revving through the gears.

:beer::beer::beer:

ZS Phil
28-07-14, 09:43 PM
If it is progressively getting worse then turbo oil seals would be the first culprit especially if there is excessive play in the shaft.

If the turbo is sound then I had a leaking valve stem seal but I've never heard of that issue on the L series before but it is also a possibility.

If the connection from number 1 injector is damaged then this can also cause white smoke apparently.

My first port of call would be the turbo :)

jonesy
29-07-14, 07:11 AM
its done 120k,thers no power loss goes well with sdi injectors,any one now of a garage that does turbo overhaul in suffok area,i thought if oil goes back into the air intake woundnt this go into the turbo and burn off as blue smoke,its hard to tell when iam going through the gears,dont see clouds of blue smoke in the rear view mirror,but I come to stationary stop I sometimes get a big cloud of blue smoke :unsure:

peterzs
29-07-14, 09:24 AM
I dont know enough about turbos, but that sounds a good starting point.

You using a 10 - 40 oil.

Might be worth having a word with a Rolling Road place, they might be able to point you to a good garage that knows about turbos.

Let us know how you get on.