PDA

View Full Version : Rust!!!!!!

daytona365
30-08-14, 04:05 PM
Gave Zed a bit if tlc, then found some rust, just round the jacking point, so going to ahve to find a friend to weld him up..Biggest problem was getting the damm skirts off..............

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/daytona365gt/library/RUST

Dan1971
30-08-14, 04:08 PM
"Da da dum dum dum .... another one ......."

Sad to see though pal. Jacking point was the first area on Red to go.

daytona365
30-08-14, 04:20 PM
"Da da dum dum dum .... another one ......."

Sad to see though pal. Jacking point was the first area on Red to go.

Less of the death march.............Zed is not going the way of the red one...He is being repaired :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

petet16
30-08-14, 04:53 PM
Front jacking points are very vulnerable to the tin worm, I treated mine last year, there were no holes but I was surprised at how much rust was there, I also removed the rubber bungs inboard from the jacking points, there was a lot of water in there which had probably contributed to the rusting, I left the bungs out, and flooded the box section with wax.

talkingcars
30-08-14, 04:54 PM
Not good, I noticed both sides of the black one looking rough when I was doing the exhaust the other week, Think I will make cleaning them up a priority.

petet16
30-08-14, 04:58 PM
A before picture of mine, the 2 holes in the bottom left corner are normally plugged with rubber bungs, I left these out when I'd finished, I also opened up the drain hole, to try and prevent the drain hole getting blocked.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3749/12026504566_e267489c3d_z.jpg

peterzs
30-08-14, 04:59 PM
Shame, but a good welder back as good as new.

:yes::yes::yes:

Maxfly
30-08-14, 08:28 PM
Yep all mine have looked like petes to varying degrees, soon sorted with wire brush on a drill, rust treatment and underseal. Don't understand how some have managed to hope through unless they go swimming in the sea regular :D

daytona365
30-08-14, 09:28 PM
Glad mines not the only one, will take the bungs out tomorrow, as well as checking the other side.....monday one of my customers will be asked for a quote, a few bit of metal and a few minutes welding and he will be as go as new. Then just got to put the side skirts back on....Where do I get new white clips??

petet16
30-08-14, 09:45 PM
I think Rimmers for the clips.

petet16
30-08-14, 09:52 PM
These ? http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-EYC100830

daytona365
30-08-14, 10:14 PM
These ? http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-EYC100830

Spot on, thanks muchly.........:thankyou:

stamford
31-08-14, 08:20 AM
Mine need looking at as well, will know more when I start cleaning off the seal and see how far, it looks surface but you never can tell.

daytona365
31-08-14, 09:42 AM
Over the garage to take the other skirt off. check the other side for any rust, plus chance to give them a good clean.................................. Hate seeing the Zed tatty, makes me feel sad...:sad::sad:

petet16
31-08-14, 09:55 AM
The good thing is knowing the bits you don't see every day are also in good nick.

daytona365
31-08-14, 04:07 PM
Just back from garage.............Took other skirt off, the o/s underneath has NO holes just a lot of surface rust.....SO only one side to repair, then have both underneaths undersealed.......................just have to wait for the clips to arrive before putting the skirts back on......On hindsight no a very good design as the skirts are mudtraps......
Still while underneath saw no rust anywhere else so the old boy is still in good nick...Feel a lot better now knowing my baby is ok......Will spend tomorrow going round my customers to see who will give me (sorry my mum) the best quote......

jaorton
01-09-14, 12:17 PM
Recently had some welding done to my ZS. Had a patch of rust behind the f/o/s wheel. Luckily it hadn't spread to the suspension mounts and it was fairly cheap to get fixed but will give the rest of the car a once over now!

daytona365
01-09-14, 02:30 PM
All done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will post up pictures when I have taken them. But good to have friends in the motor trade......Went and got a quote, and then was told I could have it done in a few hours...Brill. And on top of that, the underneath was re undersealed from front to back FOC............And a fre cup of tea too.......Very pleased with myself, now that the Zed is healthy again. In fact the welder, who is their MOT tester told me he wouldnt have failed it, the holes were not structual..Plenty of good metal around the jacking point.....:thumbsup::hooray::thumbsup:

peterzs
01-09-14, 04:02 PM
Result, well done car.

Maxfly
01-09-14, 04:05 PM
Excellent stuff, the zed fit as a fiddle again!