PDA

View Full Version : First MOT Due.......

markyzs180
28-01-08, 07:05 PM
Well its booked in for its first MOT tomorrow....anything that might spring a surprise??
I went over it all pretty well when I bought it but theres only so much you can tell from kicking a tyre (:laugh:)

afcbadam
28-01-08, 07:29 PM
good luck mate

stamford
28-01-08, 07:36 PM
It'll go straight through mate :thumbsup:

Maxfly
29-01-08, 06:24 AM
Will pass no bother fella, just check all your bulbs just before she is booked in as they are the stupid wee things that like to go pop 5 mins before the test!!

Good Luck:clover:

wilko66
29-01-08, 07:33 AM
It'll be fine bud :clap:

arwilson80
29-01-08, 08:52 AM
It'll be fine... Everyone worrys about these wee things before and they generally all go through.

Boot Hill Bandit
29-01-08, 08:57 AM
Yeah it will pass easy unless your car is a bit dogged around the edges :oops:

Easy thing to check is all the water and oil levels, then onto the tyres, windscreen for chips and cracks in the drivers view........you do know a lot of garages offer cheap 'Pre MOT' checks......but generally I just give mine a good run out in the morning to clear the engine and exhaust of any crap and get her up to temperature and hope for the best.

If it fails it will only be minor anyway on a young car I'm sure of it ;) Have faith you will be fine.

Jim

Mat C
29-01-08, 09:42 AM
Make sure the inside faces of the tyres are OK as ZS's run quite a bit of camber and have a habit of uneven tyre wear. Other than that just do what others here have mentioned. Mine sailed through a couple of weeks back and that was with a sports cat' fitted too - infact the emissions results were cleaner than a ZS with a standard cat' fitted !

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 12:55 PM
make sure you take any phone/sat nav brackets off of the windscreen. If the place is following the book anything inside the wiper sweep is a fail - including sun strips too. Apart from that you should be fine

arwilson80
29-01-08, 01:06 PM
Ross - The sunstrip part... does that apply only if it is on the outside of the windscreen, or will it still fail if it's in the inside?

I'm just curious as i have to take mine off (as well as the driver & passenger side window tints) before MOT time and would put one on the inside if it was going to be OK.

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 01:11 PM
no it doesn't make any diffence buddy. Just put smaller wipers on it for the MOT - problem solved!

arwilson80
29-01-08, 01:21 PM
Ach! Don't you think they notice (and fail it with) 14" wipers on it though. :)

Oh, and 1 other question. :) Is it the same outcome regardless of whether it is a solid sunstrip or a tinted one (the same as you get on some new cars - say Volvo?)

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 01:23 PM
I'm not too sure, but I'd imagine new cars will miss the wipers

How much does it catch by? If it's tiny they might let you off

arwilson80
29-01-08, 01:32 PM
About 2 inches i'd say... So the answer will be 'Fail'. :(

And 'over here' the test centres are goverment own and run so they are strictly by the book.

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 01:35 PM
on both wipers? Smaller wipers it is then!

markyzs180
29-01-08, 06:54 PM
Woo hooooooo ....sailed through :mbounce:

Time to buy some more nice bits instead of needed bits...

Re the post earlier about drivers/passenger tints, this is how I get round it.....

Take the car to an MOT station that doesn't mind you staying in the car while they do the first part of the mot (the lights/washers/horn then up in the air while they check underneath) this saves them having one of their blokes doing it but your reason for doing it is.......because you need to hear the mot tester shouting out 'lights' 'handbrake on mate' etc etc you need to have your drivers and passenger window OPEN, do this before you drive it onto the ramps and I GUARANTEE they will never put the windows up to check..:shifty:

Worth a try before having the tint removed......

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 06:59 PM
haha nice plan!

Luckily we get our MOT's done by a guy who was at school with my dad, so if anything is ever wrong he just says "you'll get that fixed, right?" lol

just shows it's not what you know...

well done on the pass!

wilko66
29-01-08, 07:02 PM
well done bud, :clap: its all over for a year :bounce:

arwilson80
29-01-08, 09:49 PM
Take the car to an MOT station that doesn't mind you staying in the car while they do the first part of the mot (the lights/washers/horn then up in the air while they check underneath) this saves them having one of their blokes doing it but your reason for doing it is.......because you need to hear the mot tester shouting out 'lights' 'handbrake on mate' etc etc you need to have your drivers and passenger window OPEN, do this before you drive it onto the ramps and I GUARANTEE they will never put the windows up to check..:shifty:

Worth a try before having the tint removed......

Can't do that... The first thing they make you do is get out of the car.

Southern Storm
30-01-08, 01:37 AM
Can't do that... The first thing they make you do is get out of the car.

Yep not allowed to at our place. A customer on the ramp contravenes health and safety. You are allowed to watch from the designated MOT viewing area but thats it. You have to stay behind the yellow line / guard rail.
However as I work there I climb in it on it over it under it etc.