PDA

View Full Version : Trackday camera mount for iPhone

dave23572
03-09-14, 09:58 AM
Anyone got any recommendations for an iPhone mount that could be used for filming trackday footage?

Obviously has to be strong, not fall off and be steady enough for non-shaky video footage.

stamford
03-09-14, 11:06 AM
Unless you make something there is little out there that is allowed for in-car mounting. I made one for the ZS using steel box section and mounted to the headrest pillars. Seemed a good idea at the time but the seat moved too much when on track! Windscreen suction mounts are not allowed for the majority of trackdays so leaves little options really. What mounts are available use the standard camera thread fitting and aren't cheap.

daytona365
03-09-14, 12:55 PM
As a marshal, I see plenty of ideas on how to fit a small camera, or i-phone. Basicallly forget it. They either dont keep still or are deemed not permanent. Non permanent fixings will be removed before you are allowed out. Best to invest in a proper camera and get a proper mount. Ive seen them screwed to the centre vent in the mk1 zeds. Number one rule, if you can take it off quickly then the marshals will tell you NO!!!!!

dave23572
04-09-14, 07:47 PM
As a marshal, I see plenty of ideas on how to fit a small camera, or i-phone. Basicallly forget it. They either dont keep still or are deemed not permanent. Non permanent fixings will be removed before you are allowed out. Best to invest in a proper camera and get a proper mount. Ive seen them screwed to the centre vent in the mk1 zeds. Number one rule, if you can take it off quickly then the marshals will tell you NO!!!!!

Is that you Gordon?
We test drove each others cars a while back.
Or have I got the wrong nickname?
Dave

daytona365
09-09-14, 01:49 PM
Yep thats me..........................................

dave23572
09-09-14, 01:55 PM
Yep thats me..........................................

Where do you marshall Gordon?
Any of the MSV circuits where they're really strict on camera mounts?

I've basically got until the spring (when I'll do my next trackday) to find a good iphone/camera mount that the MSV marshalls will pass. I don't want to damage the interior though with screw holes etc.

BTW: On the subject of our previous meeting: I've got my ZS mojo back now.
I put an MGF steering wheel on and that has made a difference to the apparent steering response, and also having done a couple of trackdays at Brands Hatch recently (which I really enjoyed and was very impressed with the ZS handling at the limit), has made me appreciate my ZS a lot more.
I've now scrapped my plans to replace it and am now doing some mods.

Dave

daytona365
09-09-14, 04:59 PM
Cool, ive heard the TF wheel can make a difference. I marshal at Brands Hatch, but have great experience of the problems, when the Ferrari Owners club does its track days, some of the road cars have owners with a variety of ways they try to hold the cameras on..............Velcro was one NO. Wrapping it round his crash helmet with sellotape was another NO.............

Glad you got the mojo back, I have done 3 track days in my Zed so far..

talkingcars
09-09-14, 06:09 PM
I found the TF wheel didn't suit road use but does in the ZR.

dave23572
09-09-14, 07:10 PM
I'm very pleased with the change to the TF steering wheel, for road and track.

Gordon,
Maybe see you at Brands for a trackday next year?