PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust wrap worthwhile?

dave23572
03-09-14, 10:10 AM
I'm just about to fit my new Janspeed manifolds.
Is there any benefit in using exhaust wrap on the primaries before fitting to reduce heat in the area?

stamford
03-09-14, 11:09 AM
According to the blurb it is worthwhile as it retains the heat and also helps to keep ambient temperatures down therefore cooling the under bonnet temps. I used to use Thermotec. It would pay to do it whilst off the car and make a neat job of it, go for it.

Skillen
03-09-14, 02:40 PM
Think I'll give mine ago then since they aren't on the car yet can't hurt to have a cooler engine bay and hopefully keep the inlet manifold cooler as it seems to get pretty warm.

How much do you reckon to get?
And I take it I'll go right to the end of the collectors up to the decat.

Could do the decat to :/ any benefit in that?

dave23572
03-09-14, 02:57 PM
I would have thought just the Primaries, that was my thinking.

Skillen
03-09-14, 03:02 PM
Just done a bit of reading and there is a lot if opinions stating not to due to the excess heat causing the steel to go brittle and any gaps in the wrap cause very hot, hot spots and causing fires!

peterzs
03-09-14, 06:00 PM
On the back of Safety Fast, the monthly MGCC magazine they advertise, Zircotec, British Motor Heritage are the distributors www.motoringclassics.co.uk tel 01993 707200.

Or this link straight to it, http://www.motoringclassics.co.uk/zircoflex-heat-management/c479

Have to call for a quote, that always means lots of dosh!!!

henocsr
03-09-14, 06:01 PM
a friend had a WRX with the manifolds wrapped. Found that both manifolds rotted though, suspect down to the wrap getting water soaked and speeding up corrosion

petet16
03-09-14, 06:06 PM
There does seem to be a lot of mixed opinions about wrapping manifolds, it makes it hard to decide if it's a good thing, or not.

Skillen
03-09-14, 06:06 PM
After doing the reading of a few sites and forums I've decided against it.
Minimal gains for an increased risk of premature part failure and loss of the manifold.

Mark S
03-09-14, 07:52 PM
only wrap stainless, be careful as an oil leak/drips can cause a fire, I really wouldn't bother wrapping sub standard mani's like the janspeeds tho.

talkingcars
04-09-14, 06:34 PM
Probably worth it on a track car but not on a daily.

MG ZS STE
15-09-14, 02:24 PM
The wheeler dealers ceramic coated the manifold of a Jag XJc. They said the benefit was it prevented heat soak in the engine compartment and made the engine more efficient as keeping the heat in helps expel the gasses faster. Although, wouldn’t that increased localised heat lead to some form of premature failure on the welds or sommat?

carmadbaker
15-09-14, 02:36 PM
Currently have the turbo's manifold and turbine housing with zircotec being ceramic coated, not cheap but will report back any difference :)
Yes its been pulled apart again i know! I will update my thread in good time