PDA

View Full Version : T16 conversion loom help needed

StragglaSteve
05-09-14, 09:08 AM
Ive finally finished my T16 engine swap into my ZS and when i went to turn the key for the first time, all i got is a "click".

I checked all of the live wiring from the battery to the engine bay and it all looks good except there is no live at the starter motor :-/

so i tried to start the car directly with a jump pack on the starter motor, which it turns the engine over but no fuel is injecting.

I think i have wired the loom in badly! Just wondered if anyone knew any auto electricians in the south east that could take a look at it.

Ive also got a dta ecu that i wanted to put in, but that looks like a mine field lol

talkingcars
05-09-14, 04:02 PM
Have you a matched ECU and alarm module?

Which engine loom have you used?

StragglaSteve
06-09-14, 04:53 PM
i took the ecu and loom from the rover 620. The central locking works so i assume that means the immobiliser will be disengaged?

talkingcars
06-09-14, 08:48 PM
Did you swap the whole 620 loom.

petet16
06-09-14, 09:00 PM
Is it the starter solenoid clicking ?

petet16
06-09-14, 09:03 PM
Another question, what part number is on the ecu, it should be MKC******.

StragglaSteve
07-09-14, 03:37 PM
Hmm i used only the engine bay part of the loom, the loom going into the cabin is the original ZS loom, i just spliced the wires and tried to match them up as there is only one plug in the 620 loom and two plugs from the ZS.

the part number from the ECU is MKC.

the starter solenoid clicks, but only once, as though my battery hasnt got enough juice, which isnt the case as i bought a new battery, which i am using for the first time and its got 660 CCA which i believe is more than the 620 battery usually has?

Im gonna take another look at it tomorrow (monday) but i did manage to find a local auto electrician, so if no luck, will leave it to him lol.

talkingcars
07-09-14, 04:01 PM
Hmm i used only the engine bay part of the loom, the loom going into the cabin is the original ZS loom, i just spliced the wires and tried to match them up as there is only one plug in the 620 loom and two plugs from the ZS.

Did the 620 5AS unit plug into the ZS?

the part number from the ECU is MKC.

MKC what?

petet16
07-09-14, 04:36 PM
As above, it should be MKC followed by 6 numbers.

StragglaSteve
07-09-14, 06:37 PM
I kept the original 5AS unit from my ZS, central locking all works

the ECU is MKC103810, does only certain numbers work? not sure that the ECU is my issue here, just probably wired one of the wires wrong where i had to chop and change them

petet16
07-09-14, 06:46 PM
Is the engine earth lead connected, and making a good connection.

StragglaSteve
07-09-14, 07:33 PM
Ive got an earth from the battery to the chassis and one from the gearbox to the chassis. That's right isn't it, as the starter motor earths through the gearbox?

petet16
07-09-14, 08:07 PM
That's right, are they making a good connection

talkingcars
08-09-14, 06:47 PM
I kept the original 5AS unit from my ZS, central locking all works

the ECU is MKC103810, does only certain numbers work? not sure that the ECU is my issue here, just probably wired one of the wires wrong where i had to chop and change them

Is the engine dizzy or wasted spark. If it is dizzy it should work fine, if it is wasted spark it will be looking for a signal from the 5AS to clear the immobiliser.

I understand it was possible to solder a wire between 2 terminals within the ECU to cancel the need for the signal from the 5AS but I haven't a clue which terminals.

It maybe worth asking the questions on www.rovertech.net , I did a search on the ECU part number and there is a link to Rovertech but I can't open it, until now I didn't know there was a hidden area over there.

Or speak to Technozen on .org ( http://forums.mg-rover.org/member.php?u=181 ) who should be able to match your 5AS and ECU, he is only down in Brighton so not too far to travel, or he does return post.

StragglaSteve
13-09-14, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your help guys, I managed to find the problems.

Turns out the eyelet disconnected from the live feed to the starter which is why it wasn't getting power. The fuel pump was wired wrong, there are two purple and black wires and it was wired to the wrong one.

And lastly, the timing was completely wrong! A quick chat to Darryl at motobuild sorted that.

Now the car is running beautifully with 12 bar pressure at all cylinders.

petet16
13-09-14, 11:49 AM
ptsssssh :cool1: