PDA

View Full Version : no black smoke

jonesy
12-09-14, 10:34 AM
mgzs td+115 sdi,s decat pipe,performance airfilter, under hard ecceleration I get loads of black smoke out the back and iam talking a smoke screen its that bad,but if I desconect my maf sensor I get no smoke whatsoever it picks up a little quicker but a bit slower top end,does this mean I need a new maf thxs for any replies....

talkingcars
12-09-14, 11:09 AM
I don't know modern diesels but is the maf electric? Could you fit a switch to turn it on and off?

jonesy
12-09-14, 12:06 PM
I think the only way to turn the maf off is to pull out the plug,just leaves the engine manegment light on on dash,strange that it stops it from smokeing,someone might know

ZS Phil
12-09-14, 01:01 PM
Will it rev past 4k rpm? If not then the maf is the problem.

jonesy
12-09-14, 03:44 PM
ill give it a try next time iam out,

Dan1971
12-09-14, 06:47 PM
Quite simply - sdis = black smoke.

Unplugging the MAF sensor will cause the hesitation at the top end, because that's what the sensor does - make sure that it pulls all the way through the rev range effectively. That's why when you've unplugged it - it's gutless. That shows that your MAF sensor is working fine.

The only thing you can do as far as I'm aware would be to get it remapped. That will help in relation to your upgrades and the smoke.

ZS Phil
12-09-14, 07:04 PM
Just another thought, no mention of upping your boost? If you are running standard boost on sdis you will get smoke. On a non-mapped car with SDIs and 19 psi boost smoke should be nothing more than a light haze. Getting a remap for performance will not necessarily reduce smoke.

peterzs
12-09-14, 08:49 PM
Boot it in 3/4/5 I get black smoke, does die away.

Specially useful for all the white Audis, that try and push me along.

jonesy
13-09-14, 07:48 AM
I am running at 18psi just wondering whats the safest maxim boost I can go to maybe 20psi,i think if iam spotted by the the police giving out that much soot out the back ill get pulled,it completely blanks out any car behind me,just seems strange as soon as I unplug the maf I get no smoke,

Mark S
13-09-14, 08:09 AM
All that black smoke will be causing bore wash too, the engine won't last long like that.

We used to run 2 bar on one TD (30psi) but its all down to the turbo, I doubt 2psi will clear up all that smoke?

Remap to get the fuelling right sounds more like what you need?

Is there not a bigger turbo that can be fitted to these engines? Or/and a higher pressure fuel pump?

p_b82
15-09-14, 01:46 PM
sounds like the MAF is working as expected, don't go much above 19PSI on the turbo as longer term it is not reliable, a spike of 20 would be limit i would set mine at. There are many people who will tell you otherwise, but it is up to you.

If smoke is that bad though it suggests something is up, and it doesn't explain why why you take the maf out, you get less smoke though - otherwise my thought would be that you have got boost leak somewhere.

As said with SDI's there should be a visible haze, but not a bond style screen, maybe try and get a vid if you can or look online for other clips to compare, as it might just be perspective!

on the OE 115 map though, the smoke would be less than after a 'remap' as you are only looking at around 135bhp and 230lbsft torque, and the remap will bump both of those typically.

jonesy
16-09-14, 06:21 PM
just noticed on ebay you can buy the cable that plugs into the diagnostic plug then into a laptop come with programme on cd to alter things,just how easy is it to get these remaps and enter them yourself the cables only 12 pounds,just wondering if its something you can do yourself.

buff-1
16-09-14, 08:48 PM
my zs decatted, sdis, remapped (mafless) by mad tunning running 20psi car is extremly smokey on hard take off, mines pulls like a train to 4.5k once it hits 4k a severe cloud is present behind car.

p_b82
17-09-14, 10:54 AM
just noticed on ebay you can buy the cable that plugs into the diagnostic plug then into a laptop come with programme on cd to alter things,just how easy is it to get these remaps and enter them yourself the cables only 12 pounds,just wondering if its something you can do yourself.

You wont be able to get your hands on the software to remap for £12 or even a cable that will do anymore more than read the values shown via OBDII.

it still wont read fault codes on a MK1, which I can't remember if yours is or not.