PDA

View Full Version : mpg for 180's

afcbadam
29-01-08, 04:15 PM
so how amy miles per tank do the 180 owners get. i get on average about 260 before im in the red never pushed it further than this but know theres a few more in the tank

Mat C
29-01-08, 04:42 PM
Similar for me, and around 310 if i drive like an Eco-puff.

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 06:00 PM
I normally get 300 from mine, a good mix of driving with some town driving, some on the motorway and the odd bit of thrashage!

markyzs180
29-01-08, 06:42 PM
I normally get 300 from mine, a good mix of driving with some town driving, some on the motorway and the odd bit of thrashage!

GULP.....best I've managed is 214 !!!! :slap:

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 06:47 PM
must have a big heavy right foot then!

markyzs180
29-01-08, 06:58 PM
must have a big heavy right foot then!

hehehe....only filled it up five times since I've had it.....still too tempting to drive it with a BIG smile (and BIG boot) everywhere....worrying thing is I can't see that feeling going away....:weirdo:

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 07:00 PM
it does when you have to fill it twice a week, it's surprising how quickly sensibility kicks in when the wallet is involved!

markyzs180
29-01-08, 07:03 PM
it does when you have to fill it twice a week, it's surprising how quickly sensibility kicks in when the wallet is involved!

Yeah, you're right...I'll be back to the freelander td4 for trapping to and from work soon...40mpg is a bit more sensible :cry:

ZS180V6
29-01-08, 07:11 PM
Also depends on where you are driving.

I use to get to work and back in London and get about 180 but don't go to the red.

Not that good on mpg............

markyzs180
29-01-08, 07:16 PM
hey, come on, we don't buy a 180 for their fuel efficiency

Maxxed_Ross
29-01-08, 07:18 PM
Damn right!

the 180 seems to get alot more on the motorway. I got from Manchester to mine and a fair bit of driving to and from Kev's (roughly 250 miles in total) on 1/2 a tank!

City driving kills it though, so avoid at all costs

saying that driving at above 3.5k on the rev counter is just as bad as that's into the power band

foggy
29-01-08, 07:27 PM
This is the first i have entered into a thread,i have the 180 and drive it from gatwick to heathrow a round trip of 110 miles,on a fuel tank of fuel driving like a granddad i get 330-360 miles a tank. But on my days of only 200 miles

KevG
29-01-08, 07:30 PM
Day to day driving/Commuting etc will give me a max of 310 miles, but a good bit of thashage the miles drop to around 215 miles to the tank, so really anything from 25.6mpg at current pump prices to 17.7mpg. Pretty shocking, but I'm not an eco warrior and enjoy a bit of fun.

SimonMGZS
29-01-08, 07:31 PM
i have managed to get 330 miles out of a full tank of fuel in mine but that just wasn't driving at a slow speed that was also giving it a bootful of throttle overtaking the other slower drivers aswell.but if was to drive it hard all the time i would only get 300 miles out of it

KevG
29-01-08, 07:50 PM
i have managed to get 330 miles out of a full tank of fuel in mine but that just wasn't driving at a slow speed that was also giving it a bootful of throttle overtaking the other slower drivers aswell.but if was to drive it hard all the time i would only get 300 miles out of it

I think you would get a lot less than 300Miles, If I were to give a bit lead right foot all the time and still return 300miles I'd be laughing.

Southern Storm
29-01-08, 07:53 PM
On the motorway, including a few sessions of heavy right foot action got around 300mpg including driving headlong into strong winds, and a dodgy VIS.
I say a few, no more than a couple. Since doing the VIS i have more power but will it drink more? Soon find out.
Giving it large around town it goes into the high teens at times.

Boot Hill Bandit
29-01-08, 08:01 PM
180 miles to a full tank for me. Best I have ever had is 250 miles........that was night time driving in the cool air as well.

Jim

Mat C
29-01-08, 08:05 PM
Then i would suggest your car is completely fooked and the olny thing you should be putting in your petrol tank is a lit match to do an insurance job !

Boot Hill Bandit
29-01-08, 08:09 PM
Then i would suggest your car is completely fooked and the olny thing you should be putting in your petrol tank is a lit match to do an insurance job !

Nah its just the way I drive :D I know I can get 'economy' out of it......but I prefer the speed :happy2:

Jim

stamford
29-01-08, 08:10 PM
When commuting I averaged 320 miles to the light. On holiday I managed over 400 miles, how I did that I do not know!

I really don't think about MPG otherwise I would have bought a diesel.

Mat C
29-01-08, 08:14 PM
Nah its just the way I drive :D I know I can get 'economy' out of it......but I prefer the speed :happy2:

Jim

Yeah but i drive enthusiasticly too and there are far more rural routes to enjoy around Lincs' than where you are but I and everyone else here is getting supperior economy to you so it's either one of two things ; 1) Your car is fooked or 2) you need to stop pretending your on a race track ! :laugh:

Boot Hill Bandit
29-01-08, 08:16 PM
Yeah but i drive enthusiasticly too and there are far more rural routes to enjoy around Lincs' than where you are but I and everyone else here is getting supperior economy to you so it's either one of two things ; 1) Your car is fooked or 2) you need to stop pretending your on a race track ! :laugh:

I opt for number 2 if I am honest :cap:

People only ever get in a car with me once :please: dunno why.

Jim

Mat C
29-01-08, 08:17 PM
And you'll only kill a person once - sleep on that tonight chief ;)

Boot Hill Bandit
29-01-08, 08:19 PM
And you'll only kill a person once - sleep on that tonight chief ;)

Very true. I will drive slower :)

Jim

Mat C
29-01-08, 08:22 PM
I hope so bud, not being preachy but i'd hate to hear of someone i know-of being involved in a bad accident - especially one they couldn't live with :( I always say enjoy the power, but use your head as well as the foot :)

Boot Hill Bandit
29-01-08, 08:24 PM
I hope so bud, not being preachy but i'd hate to hear of someone i know of being involved in a bad accident - especially one they couldn't live with :( I alweays say enjoy the power, butuse your head as well as the foot :)

Wise words bud. I will try using my head on the throttle tomorrow see how I go. I dunno who will steer though :joker:

No worries I am not that bigger risk taker ;)

Jim

georgiansoccer
29-01-08, 08:46 PM
i get between 280 - 330 miles out of my 180 normally.

Lowest mpg i have had is 26 highest is 37

Normally average about 31mpg and thats a mix of short and long journeys

Z Scotland
29-01-08, 08:48 PM
On the motorway, including a few sessions of heavy right foot action got around 300mpg including driving headlong into strong winds,
300mpg were you being towed lol.:laugh:

SimonMGZS
29-01-08, 08:59 PM

i did do sixty miles a day for five days a week and still have enough fuel for a one way trip to my place of work but would have top it for the return journey but that was before i got another car to use for my journey to and from work

afcbadam
29-01-08, 09:14 PM
300mpg were you being towed lol.:laugh:

blimey 300mpg thats 277 more than i average. lol

afcbadam
29-01-08, 09:19 PM
does any body find the first quater of a tank drops really slowley and the the other 3/4 drops really quickly

Mat C
29-01-08, 09:37 PM
Yeah, the other day i was doing a long distance run from a full tank. The 1st quater lasted 110 miles and i was thinking i was in for mega economy ! By the time i had reached 150 miles i was bang on the half way line ! It's about as accurate and true as a Labour party manifesto !

afcbadam
29-01-08, 09:48 PM
mines similar the first quater lasts between 80-95 depending on a 70mph run on a motorway or town driving then the next quater goes in within 40-50 miles after that. i know what you mean about accuracy buts thats mg rover for you

arwilson80
29-01-08, 10:09 PM
Day to day driving/Commuting etc will give me a max of 310 miles, but a good bit of thashage the miles drop to around 215 miles to the tank, so really anything from 25.6mpg at current pump prices to 17.7mpg. Pretty shocking, but I'm not an eco warrior and enjoy a bit of fun.

Almost the same as Kev...although i did get about 32mpg out of it once or twice.

Southern Storm
30-01-08, 01:21 AM
300mpg. I meant per tank dammit. Looking after a 5 month old and trying to type don't work. lol. Well spotted.
Pass a tissue for this rather yellowey egg on my face.

Rik3776
30-01-08, 02:28 PM
I'm in a state of shock, I wish I could afford to fill up my lean green machine and as for the MPG, I just daren't work it out cos of my frail disposition !!!

Maxxed_Ross
30-01-08, 03:45 PM
mines similar the first quater lasts between 80-95 depending on a 70mph run on a motorway or town driving then the next quater goes in within 40-50 miles after that. i know what you mean about accuracy buts thats mg rover for you

that's because it's a predictive needle - IE it's telling you what you will use if you keep driving like that.

Never noticed that the needle plummets if you thrash it for a period but then rises back up to almost where it was when you lift off and drive normally again? :book:

arwilson80
30-01-08, 03:51 PM
tNever noticed that the needle plummets if you thrash it for a period but then rises back up to almost where it was when you lift off and drive normally again? :book:

That confirms it then... I had a suspicion that this was what it did but i didn't even know if such a thing existed. :)

afcbadam
30-01-08, 05:19 PM
300mpg. I meant per tank dammit. Looking after a 5 month old and trying to type don't work. lol. Well spotted.
Pass a tissue for this rather yellowey egg on my face.

at least you took it well

Southern Storm
30-01-08, 05:28 PM
at least you took it well

I take it however I can get it.

markyzs180
30-01-08, 05:59 PM
that's because it's a predictive needle - IE it's telling you what you will use if you keep driving like that.

Never noticed that the needle plummets if you thrash it for a period but then rises back up to almost where it was when you lift off and drive normally again? :book:

so the moral of the story is DON'T LOOK AT THE GAUGE WHEN YOU'RE RAGGING IT AROUND, but stare at it when u pick your gran up.....:laugh:

afcbadam
30-01-08, 07:01 PM
so the moral of the story is DON'T LOOK AT THE GAUGE WHEN YOU'RE RAGGING IT AROUND, but stare at it when u pick your gran up.....:laugh:

or just cover it up completley and not look at it atall and just wait untill the light comes on

mattie007
30-01-08, 09:33 PM

No way! You learn summat every day!

I know this is a 180 thread, but just to rub it in, I got 460 out of my tank, 60 mph all the way. Woohoo!

Normally get 350-400.
I do find myself looking at the flipping guage alot! :blink:

markyzs180
14-02-08, 05:35 AM
wooooohooooo....just got 226 out of the last tank !!

stamford
14-02-08, 05:59 AM
wooooohooooo....just got 226 out of the last tank !!

I take it you are fairly heavy on the right foot then!

I have averaged 320 to a tankful and that's a combination of town driving and dual carriageway (13 miles @70 ish) over a 2-2.5 hour commute each day.

markyzs180
14-02-08, 06:52 PM
I take it you are fairly heavy on the right foot then!

I have averaged 320 to a tankful and that's a combination of town driving and dual carriageway (13 miles @70 ish) over a 2-2.5 hour commute each day.

most of our driving is round town (birmingham) so most of the time just sitting listening to it tickover!!
when it does get onto some open roads it ges thrashed!! hence only 220ish...but hey they're fun miles!!

ps...i have a 20 minute commute, 10 there 10 back..

stamford
14-02-08, 09:44 PM
most of our driving is round town (birmingham) so most of the time just sitting listening to it tickover!!
when it does get onto some open roads it ges thrashed!! hence only 220ish...but hey they're fun miles!!

Ah! good old Birmingeham......................the ******** of the world!.......................my daughters boyfriend lives opposite Longbridge on the Lickey Road...................or what's left of it :cry:

markyzs180
15-02-08, 05:29 AM
[/QUOTE][QUOTE=stamford;39791 boyfriend lives opposite Longbridge on the Lickey Road...................or what's left of it :cry:[/QUOTE]

yep...not alot of it left now...don't get over that side of town much but it always saddens me to see massive chunks of it demolished when i do :(

talkingcars
15-02-08, 05:57 AM
On my first long run from near Gatwick to Stafford I used 23litres, on the same run in my Rover 114SLi I normally use 20 litres so I was very pleased with that.

However on the way back with my 16 year old son was encouraging me to keep the speed down (yeah, right) the econnomy wasn't so good but the time was.

papa_lazaroo
15-02-08, 07:41 AM
Ah! good old Birmingeham......................the ******** of the world!.......................my daughters boyfriend lives opposite Longbridge on the Lickey Road...................or what's left of it :cry:

Thats a bit harsh towards Brum ! And I thought you're supposed to be the site Ambassador?????!!!!!

I don't agree with the predictive needle comments. I have been a fuel system designer for 18 years, and 6 of them were for Rover, the only "Sophistication" in this entire system is the signal damping. This is the system taking time to display what the float is doing so that it can surpress the gauges reaction. For example, stop quickly with half a tank, you'll hear the fuel "Slap" the front of the tank, and then it'll slush about, but if you look at your gauge, it isn't showing teh needle dancing all over the place, as the system surpresses this. The Software running your gauge then takes a snap shot reading of the float about 40 times per minute, and the signal we read on the gauge is the mean average.

It's all done by about 32 stepped resistance tiles on the float reader.

Any one still awake ???:thankyou:

papa_lazaroo
15-02-08, 07:43 AM
By the way, I drive 85 miles each way to work, on Petrol My "Z" gives me 335 per tank, and on LPG 310 (this is 60litres of LPG)

papa_lazaroo
15-02-08, 07:44 AM

Where in Brum are you Mark, I'm Erdington

papa_lazaroo
15-02-08, 07:51 AM

Where in Brum are you Mark, I'm Erdington