PDA

View Full Version : Facebook advice

petet16
11-10-14, 03:58 PM
The sage advice you read on the fb zs pages, lol.

"Dump valves stop over boosting" no, they really don't.

"Your dumping over a bar of boost, so a petrol dump valve won't work" really !!

Maxfly
11-10-14, 04:12 PM
Everyday I read something on FB the more I come to realise that being stupid is a disease and it appears to be transmitted via social networking sites

stamford
11-10-14, 04:20 PM
Unfortunately it is quite common in the workplace too, I had a manager once who never caught the concept of engage brain before mouth. I always use this little ditty:

It is better to be a thought a fool then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

petet16
11-10-14, 04:27 PM
Very true comment Mick.

peterzs
11-10-14, 04:54 PM
As I have got older, I take a much more laid back approach to it all.

If you dont know, you dont know.

What might be obvious to most, can be like rocket science to others.

Might be some that think they do know it all, when in fact they know very little, but I must admit it annoys me a tad, when someone is made to feel stupid for asking a question and all they want is the answer.

Someone just moaned about someone asking a simple question on F/B, that all you have to do is "google", it and you can find the answer. But then thats what's the F/B groups are for, finding out.

Takes all sorts I suppose, ignore the rubbish and try and help the genuine queries.

Just a quick heads up, make sure you know the date when your MOT runs out. Cough !!

:yay::yay::yay:

petet16
11-10-14, 04:56 PM
Apparently a dump valve stops air entering the turbo and making it spin backwards :wall::wall::wall:

peterzs
11-10-14, 05:16 PM
Thought that was the Flux Capacitor!!

:mbounce::mbounce::mbounce:

peterzs
11-10-14, 05:18 PM
Reckon they do it to wind us up!!!

Maybe F/B needs this icon. :shutup2::shutup2::shutup2:

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

petet16
11-10-14, 05:26 PM
Exactly Pete, I thought the use of the flux capacitor was common knowledge

henocsr
11-10-14, 06:41 PM
Everyday I read something on FB the more I come to realise that being stupid is a disease and it appears to be transmitted via social networking sites

yes it seems that there is a large amount of people that have not and will not grow up. They all seem to have the same out look on life, other people, and the world with the eyes of an annoying 14-16 year old. FB and other simular sites just grow and stimulate it. Even the news on TV and documenties are now all dumbed down with childlike presnters.

Maybe now i am 30 i have turned into a grumpy old man, or was it just a better world 10 years ago when the internet was something people would look at to get information or buy something. Not tell the world what they ate for breakfast or that the woman in front of them in the bus queue is a horrible b**** because she looked at me funny and was wearing the same coat as me etc etc

LukeZS96
11-10-14, 07:19 PM
Maybe now i am 30 i have turned into a grumpy old man, or was it just a better world 10 years ago when the internet was something people would look at to get information or buy something. Not tell the world what they ate for breakfast or that the woman in front of them in the bus queue is a horrible b**** because she looked at me funny and was wearing the same coat as me etc etc

No it's not age related mate I'm 18 and feel the very same. Hate some of the sh1te that's posted on fb... Makes me wonder weather some people should be allowed on the internet imo

grimmy
11-10-14, 07:22 PM
I deactivated my account three weeks ago.wish I.had done it three years ago

Skillen
11-10-14, 10:04 PM
Another of the reasons I deactivated my account three years ago at 23.
Cretins.
And as you say, it spreads false workings of bits that shouldn't be confused.
Imagine trying to use your dump valve actually as a boost controller?

Rocket Red
12-10-14, 10:13 AM
I have never had a Facebook account, so the only advice I can give is bin it cause all I ever hear about is a load of grief

Smokey
12-10-14, 10:43 AM
It depends on your reasons for using Facebook. I initially signed up to keep in touch with my sister (south africa) and mother (florida) and it is perfect for that. I don't need to keep asking for regular updates on how things are because they post messages and pictures so it doesn't quite feel like I'm hundreds of miles away.

I also don't mind glancing through friends and work colleagues posts as it's sometimes interesting.

I don't post very often as I don't think my life is interesting enough to share with the world and tend only to post things involving other people.

I am signed up to 3 MG related groups and is purely for selfish reasons of seeing what parts/cars are available. I have my daily facepalm ready though because of the highlighted messages.

Yes, not everyone know about the cars or cars in general. I didn't many years ago. But I wouldn't have asked an open forum question before searching for the answer first (such as a forum like this one) People are lazy so just ask first. This is dangerous because then another list of uneducated people come on with the dumbest answers imaginable!

This is exactly why forums will never die. All the info is at your finger tips and an educated question reaps the correct answer with some banter behind it. That's all I need. A solution to my problem and a friendly reply. Plus ideas for upgrades!

As sh!t as the Facebook groups can be, I suffer them so I don't miss out on a potential bargain, helped by the lack of knowledge or value.

I always know I have the option to control what I see on Facebook so won't be closing my account unnecessarily.

stamford
12-10-14, 12:05 PM
I deactivated mine several weeks ago and only miss certain aspects. One day I may go back on but no rush. Not missing it at all tbh.

grimmy
12-10-14, 01:26 PM
I deactivated mine several weeks ago and only miss certain aspects. One day I may go back on but no rush. Not missing it at all tbh.

That's exactly how I feel Mick and to be honest it's brought me back here more often. before I deactivated it anyone who wanted to keep in touch I swapped details with so that's fine with me a lot of Facebook friends are members here anyway.

talkingcars
12-10-14, 02:06 PM
It depends on your reasons for using Facebook................I always know I have the option to control what I see on Facebook so won't be closing my account unnecessarily.

If there was a like button on the forum I'd press it, the post sums up my main reason for having a faceache account.

Smokey
12-10-14, 11:21 PM
I must say, every day its more tempting to remove the odd page! A person asked about rear calipers needing wound back but it wasn't clear what he was asking and said he had drums. I was quite polite about it but others didn't understand him either. Gave him advice anyway and he removed the thread! Charming!

petet16
13-10-14, 09:39 AM
I must say, every day its more tempting to remove the odd page! A person asked about rear calipers needing wound back but it wasn't clear what he was asking and said he had drums. I was quite polite about it but others didn't understand him either. Gave him advice anyway and he removed the thread! Charming!

flol, I noticed that thread as well.

M17TT180
17-10-14, 07:48 AM
Facebook for me is 3 things. Buying laptops, selling laptops and watching crazy cat videos!

mattyprice4004
17-10-14, 06:31 PM
Facebook for me is 3 things. Buying laptops, selling laptops and watching crazy cat videos!

And memes, don't forget those! :D

-=FUBES=-
18-10-14, 11:03 AM
I only really use FB to keep up with close friends and family, and have always kept it like that. I subscribe to a few of the car related pages just to keep abreast of things but other than that I am not bothered.

And in a hark back to Stamfords comment, I used to manage a team of engineers from all around the world. I had one simple premise:

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers." Old but gold.

I would never berate them for asking a question, but I would seriously berate them for not asking one.

-=F=-

petet16
02-11-14, 10:20 AM
Apparently, discs and pads have to be changed together !!!???

grimmy
02-11-14, 10:32 AM

Dammit I knew I was doing something wrong.so.do pads have to have that black grainy stuff on them or is it okay if it's just metal left.:wacko:

petet16
02-11-14, 10:36 AM
Just metal left is fine, but try to use the brakes as little as possible:smile2:

Skillen
02-11-14, 10:37 AM
Dammit I knew I was doing something wrong.so.do pads have to have that black grainy stuff on them or is it okay if it's just metal left.:wacko:

Metal has good heat dissapation properties so they'll be great.

grimmy
02-11-14, 11:14 AM
Just metal left is fine, but try to use the brakes as little as possible:smile2:

I do that anyway lol.

talkingcars
02-11-14, 03:59 PM

To be fair you should fit new pads when you change discs so that's not totally wrong.

talkingcars
02-11-14, 04:12 PM
Do pads have to have that black grainy stuff on them or is it okay if it's just metal left.:wacko:

Just use lard on the front of them to keep the noise down and snip those wires cos the light on the dash is annoying.

petet16
02-11-14, 04:46 PM
I'd agree with that James, but in this instance someone was asking about changing pads, his discs were fine.

petet16
06-11-14, 09:35 AM
Contentious one this, chopping coils to lower your car, yay, or nay, I'll be 100% honest in saying that I've done it before without any ill effects.

adam
06-11-14, 09:44 AM
Contentious one this, chopping coils to lower your car, yay, or nay, I'll be 100% honest in saying that I've done it before without any ill effects.

I've been dead against this, seen a couple of nasty accidents from chopped springs in the past. A lot of it is how it's done, people generally just lop off coils and don't take into consideration any modification to the spring to allow it to mount properly.

Saying that the old black Avo's for the ZR were so short you had to cable tie them in as they flopped out of the cups at full travel...so are those manufactured springs safer than chopped?

grimmy
06-11-14, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't. I just don't think I would trust them.but that's just me.

stamford
06-11-14, 02:25 PM
Although I have seen it done it is something I wouldn't be happy with unless it was to trial something but in order to get proper ones made later. The spring seat should be ground flat and if done correctly the last coil is tighter so you get a relatively flat surface to purchase against. Same with any compression spring in any given situation, die springs and valve springs. With a chopped off coil there is a tendancy for the spring to 'box' and will try and find the quickest escape route.

petet16
25-12-14, 07:24 PM
Some kid asking if anyone has tried to put a 6R4 engine in a zs, :wacko:, A little too much egg nog over xmas:santa:

Lukeus101
25-12-14, 07:32 PM
Some kid asking if anyone has tried to put a 6R4 engine in a zs, :wacko:, A little too much egg nog over xmas:santa:

Sod the ZS id be doing a full 6R4 build if I could afford the engine lol

petet16
25-12-14, 07:53 PM
Me too

Dan1971
25-12-14, 08:29 PM

Unless he's one of those kids who can go .... "Daddy ....."

Lukeus101
25-12-14, 08:36 PM
Unless he's one of those kids who can go .... "Daddy ....."

Ahhh the Bank of Mummy and Daddy....

BUCKYDEVIL
25-12-14, 10:59 PM
Only Facebook advice I have is stop using it
I'm nearly a year Facebook sober (Jan1st) & I've survived just fine
Have old friends calling me now & and actually talking instead of people I hardly knew telling me what they ate for dinner or what they are watching on TV...

Maxfly
26-12-14, 11:01 PM
Only Facebook advice I have is stop using it
I'm nearly a year Facebook sober (Jan1st) & I've survived just fine
Have old friends calling me now & and actually talking instead of people I hardly knew telling me what they ate for dinner or what they are watching on TV...

The more time ticks on the more that looks to be the only option tbh..... Its, in general either a feed full of folk posting how fantastic their lives are or the other attention seekers - woe is me, my life is so hard....that will be my fud of a brother or his dug off a leash haha

mattyprice4004
28-12-14, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately it's the only way I can keep in touch with friends and members of the community in all corners of the world - I just hide people that are annoying from what I see.
Works wonders!

petet16
31-12-14, 02:04 PM
So, a guy on of the fb groups posts a picture of his oil filler cap with some mayo on it, instantly all the fb experts diagnose hgf, I despair :axe:

Do none of these people ever consider a more measured approach, cold weather, short journeys, also result in mayo on the cap.

splinter
01-01-15, 10:55 AM
but surely this I'd the case is it not? :wall:
Seriously considering deleting my account. Only set it up when I had the mini for the 'Ring trips we used to do. Not doing them anymore so don't really see the point.

On the subject of questionable info....a while ago I asked (on here) about tps on a mk2 180 after adjusting cable. Was told 180 doesn't have it. Just read in another thread here about cleaning tps which I believe related to a 180. Does the 180 have a tps sensor?

(Thread was about IAVC whatever that is (?!!) posted by MG ZS STE)

petet16
01-01-15, 11:34 AM
The 180 does have a TPS it's fitted to the end of the throttle spindle, IACV is the idle air control valve, it's on the top of the throttle body

petet16
01-01-15, 11:42 AM
Not trying to be arsey but the answer to your previous tps question was that there is no tps reset.

splinter
01-01-15, 11:47 AM
Cheers Pete......wasn't trying to be funny about anything. Just after clarification.
Always first stop here for info as by far the best place.

splinter
01-01-15, 04:21 PM
This has been bugging me. I don't like to think I've said something to cause offence. Re read my post and yep that is possibly one of the worst cases of badly worded sentence or 3 that I've seen. My deepest apologies for any offence caused. None was meant in any way. In fact it reminded me of the sort of stuff posted on Facebook so I'm obviously spending far to much time there!

My only defence is a lack of knowledge re the V6, hence asking some stupid things every now and then, but no defence for fb style language.

I stand disgraced and await my punishment :police:

petet16
01-01-15, 05:09 PM
No punishment, this isn't that kind of forum. :gathering: