PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

Sx1990
18-10-14, 09:25 AM
Hello all, hopefully i'm posting this in the right section.

I've recently purchased an mk2 MG ZS 180, purchased it at the end of September. Parked it up and went on holiday for 2 weeks came back on Wednesday went to unlock with the key fob.

It unlocked but the alarm started going off, for some reason opening the engine bay silenced it however I had to lock the car manually as it wouldn't lock with the key fob. (dead battery)

Today I attempted to jump start it (had to unlock with the lock as it wasn't responding to the key fob).

However when I go to start the engine nothing happens. No lights on the dash, no clicking, absolutely nothing.

The battery has a receipt for 2012 so I don't think it's that, therefore i'm wondering if I have some how set the immobilizer off, and if there is anything I can do to reset it and try jump starting the car again.

petet16
18-10-14, 09:40 AM
It doesn't sound like an immobiliser problem to me, I would check and clean the battery connections, and the battery earth on the slam panel by the passenger headlight.

If you have a spare jump lead you could try earthing the engine to the body and see if it makes any difference.

Sx1990
18-10-14, 10:06 AM
Everything looks fine on those two fronts.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2gumxk8.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2mrv2x3.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/ruzpf6.jpg

..Assuming i'm looking at the right thing...Was impressed I found the bonnet catch lol.

petet16
18-10-14, 10:11 AM
Most strange that you have non standard battery connectors, is the negative one touching the metal shield for the ecu, it's hard from the picture to tell if it is or isn't

andys1981
18-10-14, 10:13 AM
i would check they battery connections as they look aftermarket connectors on the battery,i would also get the earth connection further down on the battery post,get a jump start and go from there,hope you can get it running mate.

andys1981
18-10-14, 10:14 AM
Most strange that you have non standard battery connectors, is the negative one touching the metal shield for the ecu, it's hard from the picture to tell if it is or isn't

it does look like its touching pete

shycho
18-10-14, 11:19 AM
Agree with Andy, looks like it is touching. Maybe try a different battery, or maybe adjust the connector and try jump starting again.

R8NMG
18-10-14, 02:14 PM
Is the jumping cable heavy duty and not just some cheap crap? It all sounds like a dodgy/drained battery to me.

Sx1990
18-10-14, 03:08 PM
Iirc the jumper cables are good up to 5000cc.

Tbh im not sure im comfortable messing with the connections without electrocuting myself, so might try and convince my local mechanic to come out and take a look for me. Im hoping im just not doing something right and it just needs jumping correctly, as it ran just fine before i parked it up.

petet16
18-10-14, 03:14 PM
That's fair enough if you're not comfortable with tinkering with it.

peterzs
18-10-14, 04:32 PM
where abouts are you??

Alan.F
19-10-14, 03:09 PM
My son had this issue with his mk2 after a flat battery nothing would work after a bit of research what we had to do was, (this is a 2 man job) 1 of us had to slacken the battery earth off and whilst the other was pressing the buttons on the fob the other had to keep connecting and disconnecting the earth lead untill the fob resynced with car (made like a tweet sound) then tighten earth back up sounds crazy but it worked