PDA

View Full Version : The New 180

ZS
07-12-14, 10:47 AM
So picked up the new 180 yesterday evening, was a bit too dark to give it a once over but everything seemed to be fine from what I could see and after talking to the seller for the last week or so everything seemed to be in order.

Anyway got it home so initial thoughts...

Paintwork is as expected and will get sorted, hence the reason we got the car, but someone has removed the Extreme spoiler and filled in the holes badly with filler then badly sprayed over the boot lid. (bad spraying we knew about, but bad filling we did not)

Clutch is abysmal so popped out this morning to have a look at it (in the pouring rain), no fluid in the reservoir... Also it turns out its not a Sheddist, but a Dark Ice kit, which has not been fitted correctly, so once it stops raining that's one of the first jobs!

Whilst looking at the Clutch hydraulics I noticed that the BMC is not fitted properly either, its just floating around which means that the journey down here (300 odd miles) was driven non filtered and who knows for how long the previous owner was driving without the BMC connected?!? So also got to fix that first!

Also noticed someone has "stolen" the antenna so no music on the way home either... so another antenna is required.

Not looked much further than that so far, but enough to be getting started with at least.

So it needs more work than the seller let on and certainly not as much money has gone into it as the seller has said. On the plus side, it does have four brand new tyres and very good condition alloys.

petet16
07-12-14, 12:01 PM
Not too bad overall, it'll be a nice car when it's all sorted.

ZS
07-12-14, 12:22 PM
Not too bad overall, it'll be a nice car when it's all sorted.

Just gone back out now its stopped raining...

Every panel has over spray. You can see where the guy has masked off and then over sprayed over the masking!

Has standard boot water leak.
Has standard bonnet catch issue.
Lights have over spray on them.
ATC is in E4 and flashes service. Plus the blower doesn't blow.

Oh and many bulbs out... Including both reverse lights!

petet16
07-12-14, 12:53 PM
E4 is the external temp sensor, may be disconnected if the front bumpers been off.

Headlights will restore with wet'n'dry and plastic polish but you'll need endless patience.

The paintwork sounds like a nightmare

Dan1971
07-12-14, 01:43 PM
Good luck with it Sam .... Time and patience I think and you have the know-how to get it sorted.

stamford
07-12-14, 02:24 PM
Sounds like you'll be busy for some time but at least you are back in a zed again.

MG ZS STE
07-12-14, 02:56 PM
Think I saw a green mk2 saloon boot lid on eBay a couple of days ago.

grimmy
07-12-14, 03:00 PM
Sounds like a decent base to start from Sam.sure you will have it spick and span in no time and another 180 survives.well done for saving it.

talkingcars
07-12-14, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a project.

I still have the extreme spoiler from my yellow one if you are looking for one.

andys1981
07-12-14, 05:21 PM
as pete sayes e4 will be the temp sensor not plugged in properly,or sensor missing,if you have a spare min,could you roughly measure where the holes have been drilled for the spoiler,hopefully you can get it all sorted with not much to spend,look forward to the progress sam.

ZS
07-12-14, 05:31 PM
Sounds like a project.

I still have the extreme spoiler from my yellow one if you are looking for one.

I will be looking for one in the new year... :)

if you have a spare min,could you roughly measure where the holes have been drilled for the spoiler

I can measure no problem, how come you want the measurements?

Djules
07-12-14, 06:10 PM
I have a green mk2 bootlid with the lip spoiler, but I'm unsure of the paint code. And as you may know, I'm in France so not really helpful I guess...

andys1981
07-12-14, 06:43 PM
I will be looking for one in the new year... :)

I can measure no problem, how come you want the measurements?

as ive had to buy a new bootlid etc,and extreme spoiler,and unfortunately have to drill to get it to fit.

ZS
07-12-14, 06:46 PM
I have a green mk2 bootlid with the lip spoiler, but I'm unsure of the paint code. And as you may know, I'm in France so not really helpful I guess...

Once we catch a break from the weather the plan is to get the car down to the garage and respray the whole thing... Not decided if its going to be a restore to original colour or some arty airbrush work over the whole car yet though ;)

Smokey
07-12-14, 10:17 PM
Arty airbrush for the win. Make it special if you're going to put so much time, effort and love in to it!

Dan1971
08-12-14, 07:07 AM
Arty airbrush for the win. Make it special if you're going to put so much time, effort and love in to it!

Hot wheels style direct onto the car - no stickers - oooh yeah !

ZS
08-12-14, 02:28 PM
E4 is the external temp sensor, may be disconnected if the front bumpers been off.

Headlights will restore with wet'n'dry and plastic polish but you'll need endless patience.

The paintwork sounds like a nightmare

E4 is external temp sensor... Hmmm... Which Fog light bracket is that in? As the drivers side is flapping about as is its not attached at the top! Only noticed it on way out the house this morning, so am going to have to investigate further later.

Headlights will be getting some special treatment anyway so will see what comes of that :)

petet16
08-12-14, 02:31 PM
It should be clipped to the passenger side bracket, you should be able to see it through the lower mesh, it's a small cylindrical probe pointing forwards

andys1981
08-12-14, 04:12 PM
It should be clipped to the passenger side bracket, you should be able to see it through the lower mesh, it's a small cylindrical probe pointing forwards

yip as pete says pass side fog light should be clipped on to the back of the fog light,and just be able to see the sensor through the mesh.

ZS
08-12-14, 04:25 PM
Nope can't see it, just an empty space where it should be, so need to get a new external temp sensor then... Also need to get some clip things to hold the fog light bracket to the bumper, anyone know what they are called or where to get them from?

petet16
08-12-14, 04:37 PM
From memory the clips are an integral part of the bumper and fog light mounting, they just snap together.

petet16
08-12-14, 04:42 PM
Post #6 for the part number for the sensor

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=28834&highlight=reader

ZS
08-12-14, 04:44 PM
From memory the clips are an integral part of the bumper and fog light mounting, they just snap together.

In that case I think the fog light mounting might be broke then... I can see the "tab" on the bumper and the hole on the bracket but it looks like a clip or something is missing that should push on behind the bracket to hold it against the bumper... I'll have to get the bumper off to have a proper look I guess!

As for the temp sender thing, is that a Rimmer brothers job?

petet16
08-12-14, 04:48 PM
Or failing that part number 068680 from Reader Air. You might need to solder the old plug on though.

petet16
08-12-14, 04:50 PM
If you email them with the part number they will be able sort you the right part.
http://www.readerair.co.uk/

ZS
08-12-14, 05:50 PM
Or failing that part number 068680 from Reader Air. You might need to solder the old plug on though.

I don't have the old plug to solder on :) but I will be able to sort something :smart:

talkingcars
08-12-14, 06:49 PM
You can buy water proof plugs on ebay, look for motorcycle ones.

andys1981
08-12-14, 07:23 PM
still waiting on an email from reader air,think it was priced at £46 for a new sensor,i got quoted £26 off breakerlink and the like for one,could try that sam.

andys1981
09-12-14, 05:47 AM
spoke to a guy on facebook who i got my headlights and spoiler off,he can do your sensor for 25 posted sam,not sure if your on facebook,gimme a pm i you like.

Lukeus101
09-12-14, 02:09 PM
Good to see you back in a ZS mate :) Cant wait to see what you do with this one

ZS
09-12-14, 02:24 PM
Good to see you back in a ZS mate :) Cant wait to see what you do with this one

First... fix it! lol!

Then, sort the paint out :) I'm leaning towards an all out attack on the car with the Airbrush (well letting the other half attack it with the airbrush) as then there is no problems with colour matching and since every single panel needs a respray anyway, or at the very least the over-spray removing (how the hell you get over-spray on the roof and bonnet when working on the boot and body-kit I don't know!!) it makes sense to put the effort in to get something special out at the end of it.

So the question comes now... what theme to go for with the airbrushing? The possibilities are endless!!! The limit really is my imagination, if I can imagine it (and explain it to the other half) then she can paint it on the car!

petet16
09-12-14, 04:23 PM
Poor or non existent masking is how you end up with overspray where you don't want it

Dan1971
09-12-14, 04:43 PM
Probably done outside, not that I've done that or anything ... :whistle: ... and the wind got it .... as well as was Pete suggests...

ZS
09-12-14, 07:12 PM
Poor or non existent masking is how you end up with overspray where you don't want it

Oh no no no... you can see the nice clear spot where it was masked then over-spray the other side! :no: