PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for tool kit.

BUCKYDEVIL
14-12-14, 05:25 PM
Looking to clear out all my old tools, Mostly Poundland tat,Argos Budget etc
To have a nice cabinet and tools that will last a long time
Tied to a budget of around £300
seen this one by Clarke at £312 https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cht624-mechanics-tool-chest-and-tools-p
Haven't heard of the make though.
Other options are Halfords Cabinet at £80 and fill with premium sets they have.
Grateful if someone more knowledgable on tool brands could point me right direction.

petet16
14-12-14, 05:37 PM
The Clarke one looks fair value tbh

BUCKYDEVIL
14-12-14, 05:45 PM
Cheers Pete, know I'd get more for my money buying from Gumtree etc but it's a gift so looking to get new
Have you heard of Clarke before ?

talkingcars
14-12-14, 06:10 PM
Clarke have been around for as long as I can remember but I wouldn't rate them as a top make, more middle of the road.

I have slowly replaced all my tools with Halfords Pro as and when they are on offer or I need something. The great thing is the lifetime guarantee, also worth mentioning that they are actually made by the likes of Snap-On and Teng.

Christmas is always a good time to pick up cheap tools from Halfords, they sell off last years designs so they can introduce the new range.

However if there is something I won't use often I'd consider Clarke.

talkingcars
14-12-14, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure if the Premium range has the same life time guarantee as the Pro range.

BUCKYDEVIL
14-12-14, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure if the Premium range has the same life time guarantee as the Pro range.

Cheers James, will go Instore at Halfords tomorrow and find out what's available and what the lifetime cover offer is on.

petet16
14-12-14, 06:22 PM
As James says, Clarke have been around for years, their stuff is aimed more at the home user rather than pro users.

Also anything that wears out/gets broken can be replaced with better quality items, the Halfords Pro stuff I've been really impressed with.

petet16
14-12-14, 06:26 PM
One other thing that springs to mind is the design of the sockets, hex sockets are much less likely to round off nuts, 12 point ones are designed primarily for 12 point nuts and bolts, and while they do work on hex heads there's more chance of damaging the nut or bolt because they drive on the points of the nut rather than the flats

talkingcars
14-12-14, 06:37 PM
Looking on their website it would appear that Halfords Advanced Professional tools have the lifetime guarantee.

stamford
14-12-14, 07:01 PM
Clarke are okay if using occassionally, other tools are fine but not their mechanics budget range as the tools are very cheap. I have bought their small kits to give away with our machines, a sweetener to keep the workshop staff happy when our own engineers are installing abroad. All they see is a bright red toolbox and shiny tools! Clarke's quality tools are much better and I have bought these on and off. Over the years I have bought Kamasa, Britool, Snap-On and Halfords tools. I have bought a decent toolkit and replaced them gradually with quality ones for common jobs. Hard to advise as cost is the key and you get what you pay for.

sneekyparrot
14-12-14, 07:07 PM
I'd go with a decent chest then select a range of tools that are going to be of use.

torque range
deep sockets set
ratchet ring spanner are superb
breaker bar missing from Clarke

plus i doubt you would need tap and die / riveter or 11 piece file set.

i buy tools as i go along and need them.

just got a pipe flaring tool / bore hone and die grinder. but i have bought tools for years.

I bought so stuff from aldi and snapped them on first use lol.

P.

grimmy
14-12-14, 07:15 PM
The b+q stuff I bought a couple of years ago have been excellent for me mate pretty decent spec and quality for reasonable money.

BUCKYDEVIL
14-12-14, 07:32 PM
Mick Id love to have the funds for big premium brand & I know my budget barely covers a Snap on lunch box but thanks for info on Clarke

OK guys thanks & looks like I'm heading for Halfords, like the look of this socket set £80 to start http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet//motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-120-piece-socket-set?storeId=10001&tduid=2f29f20c20d5dc232b98daccd6d5f462&_%24ja=kw%3A1736887%7Ctsid%3A35533&msg=&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-TradeDoubler-_-1736887-_-banner&catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&seo=true&isMobile
=true (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet//motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-120-piece-socket-set?storeId=10001&tduid=2f29f20c20d5dc232b98daccd6d5f462&_%24ja=kw%3A1736887%7Ctsid%3A35533&msg=&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-TradeDoubler-_-1736887-_-banner&catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&seo=true&isMobile=true)
And the Cabinet at £80
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=255214&productId=991989&storeId=10001
With Halfords 28 day return policy I at least have the chance to return them in the event of a January Sale price drop as long as unused.
then can watch for further items in sale.
Cheers Paul for info on the Hex sockets rather than 12 sided & It brought it to mind that I just remembered ED China also gave the same advice..

Maxfly
14-12-14, 08:12 PM
Have mostly cheap crap myself but when getting some decent stuff have used Halford and been happy. An yes ratchet spanners are excellent!

ZS180V6
14-12-14, 10:20 PM
Most of the sets are half price in halfords at the moment.

Ive used them and they have been spot on ...

6282tom
14-12-14, 10:25 PM
I have a Halfords advanced pro socket set and a ratchet ring spanner set and I've been happy with them both. Halfords seem to get a lot of stick on the forums (not this one generally) which is unjustified in my opinion. Whilst they can be a bit pricey, they have some good stuff and with the advanced pro stuff at half price at the moment you can't go far wrong.

As for Clarke - my trolley jack and axle stands are Clarke and they've served me well over the last 5 years so happy with those also.

top_man_eldo
14-12-14, 11:15 PM
For me..

First choice is Sealey
Second choice Draper Expert
Third choice Halfords Professional

Snap-on will beat the lot in my opinion, but I'd never get my money's worth!

6282tom
14-12-14, 11:51 PM
For me..

First choice is Sealey
Second choice Draper Expert
Third choice Halfords Professional

Snap-on will beat the lot in my opinion, but I'd never get my money's worth!

Agree with Sealey being decent, I've got 3 torque wrenches and spark plug sockets from them - can't fault their stuff.

Mark S
15-12-14, 08:17 AM
i'd avoid halfords pro.

petet16
15-12-14, 09:55 AM
i'd avoid halfords pro.

Why is that ?

Skillen
15-12-14, 10:38 AM
Never had a problem with the halfords pro apart from the box was a bit flimsy and one 1/2 to 1/4 drive adaptor snapped which was replace without question but it had an obvious imperfection inside and the other one has stood up to the task.

BUCKYDEVIL
15-12-14, 10:54 AM
For me..
First choice is Sealey

Was given this advice on another forum and as I said before I know nothing about what is or isn't a good tool brand.
Had a PM from a good guy who is going to set me up with this Sealey kit at Trade price plus a few beers reward.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Tool-Chest-Combination-6-Drawer-Red-Grey-with-128pc-Tool-Kit-Sealey-AP2200BBCOMBO
I'm sure the tools that come with it may not be Top of the Sealey range but a good starter kit and plenty left in my budget to add to.

Supercharged_Z
15-12-14, 11:57 AM
Get the 150 Quid's halfords 200 piece set. Wait until boxing day out should pick one up for 120 ish.

Buy the 80 quid halfords tool box or if you can wait and spend a bit more in the future maybe 150? Put the rest into the other stuff you need

talkingcars
15-12-14, 04:40 PM
I went for seperate 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 sets, reduces the amount of tools one carries around (mine are stored in the shed at the bottom of the garden and I work either at the front of the house, work, my dads or the scrapy). I've also got a set of ring spanners and ratchet spanners as well as lots of other stuff.

talkingcars
15-12-14, 04:44 PM
i'd avoid halfords pro.Why is that ?

Yes Mark, you normally have a decent point of veiw so

why?

top_man_eldo
15-12-14, 08:44 PM
Was given this advice on another forum and as I said before I know nothing about what is or isn't a good tool brand.
Had a PM from a good guy who is going to set me up with this Sealey kit at Trade price plus a few beers reward.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Tool-Chest-Combination-6-Drawer-Red-Grey-with-128pc-Tool-Kit-Sealey-AP2200BBCOMBO
I'm sure the tools that come with it may not be Top of the Sealey range but a good starter kit and plenty left in my budget to add to.

Sealey Professional is their top brand
Siegen Tools is their lower quality/everyday brand

BUCKYDEVIL
16-12-14, 10:22 AM
Sealey Professional is their top brand
Siegen Tools is their lower quality/everyday brand

Correct mate
was told the tools that are supplied with the cabinet are indeed the Siegen but getting them at a cost of not much more than the Cabinet itself
And will give me something to build to with plenty left in my budget for Halfords Pro items in Sale...

mattyprice4004
16-12-14, 11:09 PM
I've always had Bergen tools - they've been fantastic.
No idea where they rate with the professionals, but a 19mm socket of theirs took all 20 stone of me on a scaffold bar. Enough of a test in my book!

top_man_eldo
17-12-14, 02:29 AM
I've always had Bergen tools - they've been fantastic.
No idea where they rate with the professionals, but a 19mm socket of theirs took all 20 stone of me on a scaffold bar. Enough of a test in my book!

+1 them as well.