PDA

View Full Version : Dash cam caught an accident

Jay-ZS+
17-12-14, 10:04 PM
So I had a bit of a bump tonight and caught it on dash cam, wondered who you guys thought was at fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7UUzA_EWwY&feature=youtu.be

Skillen
17-12-14, 10:05 PM
Video is private mate
Good idea on the cam though!

Jay-ZS+
17-12-14, 10:10 PM
Should be viewable now.

Yer for the sake of £40 it gives a bit of piece of mind.

Skillen
17-12-14, 10:14 PM
I'm not 100% certain on what insurers would say but I'm going to go he's at fault. He had ample time to keep checking nothing was coming before trying to switch lanes id say.
He checked and committed and failed to check again while pulling out although he was indicating it wasn't clear in a line of standing traffic and he pulled out from a standing line on the left about halfway down where I'd be thinking they'd be committed to the left lane and not pull out.

petet16
17-12-14, 10:21 PM
Don't shout at me, but what speed were you doing, I would say it was his fault for not checking 100% it was clear to change lanes.

Jay-ZS+
17-12-14, 10:25 PM
Honestly not sure on my speed, annoying as I was less than a minute from my house!

welshone
17-12-14, 10:25 PM
Looks like it may be a bit of a speed factor coming up to a junction. I would say 50/50. Also from that evidence it doesn't show that you had your indicators on when pulling into the other lane.

Smokey
17-12-14, 11:14 PM
In my humble opinion it does appear to be a combination of your speed and direction and his abrupt change in lane.

Not easy to lay blame as certain factors are missing like your speed.

Should you be travelling at that speed passing stationary traffic?
Were you considering the hazards like other drivers not keen to wait in the queue? (People do like to jump into the right lane, go all the way round a roundabout to their exit to avoid waiting in the correct lane)
Were you driving to the conditions of the road ie heavy stationary traffic vs speed vs weather/visibility

The other driver, did he check his mirror before pulling out?
His indicator cancelled pretty quickly so wasn't visible to you.
He judged your speed incorrectly (although your quick lane change may be a factor in not seeing you)

I think overall, the odds are more in his favour on just the video alone although he has to take some responsibility for pulling out into traffic especially at such a laboured speed.

All just my opinion but tough one for the insurance company who might just settle for @the driver behind is at fault' scenario.

A little bit of impatience from both parties I would suggest.

Hope you are both ok though, quite the impact.

Maxfly
17-12-14, 11:16 PM
Hmm, prob 50/50 but after several watches, as he checked and pulled out the road would have been clear because you were a bit late changing lanes and as others have said speed looks to be a factor also.

Smokey
17-12-14, 11:39 PM
At a rough estimate of 30m between lamposts (this does vary so could only be calculated by measuring) the video starts pretty much in line with a lamppost so covering 2 lengths in 3 seconds equals 60m per 3 secs or 20m/s. This equals roughly 44mph.

I'm not suggesting this was your speed as there are too many variables but even if it was within the region of 30mph, really tricky to react in these circumstances.

talkingcars
18-12-14, 04:42 AM
My first thought - woh, how fast were you going?

Honestly not sure on my speed, annoying as I was less than a minute from my house!

and this makes it worse.

Dan1971
18-12-14, 06:07 AM
I reckon yours mate. Too fast passing stationary traffic. Sorry ....

Mark S
18-12-14, 06:40 AM
is that a warning sign telling of queues likely?

you were driving way to fast past near stationary traffic, too fast to be able to stop, the other car was indicating and pulled into what was at the time a clear lane, you left your overtaking maneuver quite late considering, you were travelling way too fast to stop and you couldn't.
Your fault.
It would be a sad state of affairs if they decided any other way. SLOW DOWN!!!

peterzs
18-12-14, 09:57 AM
I've gone 50/50, sorry Jay.

I reckon when he checked to change lanes you would be on the L/H lane.

You signalled and pulled out into the R/H lane at roughly the same time as he pulled across.

The speed difference means you met, a few meters past where he pulled out. He could have put his foot down more and it might have been enough to avoid the hit.

As others have said if you were going a bit slower you would have had room to stop. Looks like a 40 mph speed limit, so you wernt speeding, but with the stationary traffic, a bit slower would have been better.

Dont know how the insurance company will view it, but they seem to go knock for knock. So you both pay for your own repairs. The old insurance rule, of the person that hits the other car is automatically to blame, seems to have changed.

If its only his boot, wonder if any scrappys have one in that colour???

Daughter got hit in her mini a few years back, coming out of a shopping centre. Bloke admitted it was his fault, few months later, he said she rolled back into him!! No witnesses, so that was settled knock for knock.

Looks like he had a witness, you alone in yours??

Good Luck with it.

hansligg
18-12-14, 11:12 AM
Warning sign 2 seconds into video ''Queues likely'' then 30mph as approaching Round About. looking from that your approach does seem quicker than that.

on the other hand if you pull out into another lane it is the drivers responsibility to check the lane is clear to enter before pulling into the lane.

judging by that both parties are to blame. It avoid using that video as evidence if your planning on not taking 50/50

p_b82
18-12-14, 11:18 AM
I think I would say it was probably your fault for going past a line of stationary traffic at 'considerable' speed difference to them, in the dark, with a wet road, with a late lane change....

Yes he should not have pulled into your lane without checking a final time, but in the time it took him to start his manoeuvre you popped out from a place he could not see.

If the road was dry, you would probably have stopped in time, and that is why I say it was probably more your fault than his... 60\40 blame there

stamford
18-12-14, 11:44 AM
I initially thought the other driver at fault as he was the one who pulled out of a stationary queue into an empty lane and didn't meet the speed required to do so safely. However looking at the footage again it is clear that you were leaving it very late to change lanes and at speed.

On the approach to where you entered the right hand lane how long was the approach and was it two lanes or one lane that widens to two? There could be an argument where you were leaving it late and going too fast for the conditions.

If there were any witnesses they would side with the SEAT driver as you appeared to be too fast for the scenario and driving a BMW means it's always your fault!

Dan1971
18-12-14, 11:52 AM
Just had another look and you don't appear to react to him pulling out, almost until impact .... Lucky the impact was more severe in that case to be honest.

M17TT180
18-12-14, 12:12 PM
I'd say without the video you'd be at fault, with the video 50/50

Supercharged_Z
18-12-14, 04:05 PM
personally, that looked way to fast in traffic also in the wet. IMO, your fault due to the speed you were carrying.

Jay-ZS+
18-12-14, 05:15 PM
Interesting to see peoples opinions. The road is a dual carriage way stretching between two roundabouts. Will be interested to see what the insurance say, at the time I was willing to take the blame as I went into him, however looking at the footage don't believe I was 100% to blame. Have to see, just one of those things, easy to look back and say would have, should have could have. Could have been worse passed a car on my way home tonight that had had its wheel and suspension torn right off!

talkingcars
18-12-14, 05:21 PM
but when all is said and done, we still love ya.

If you do share the video with the insurance company lose the last bit, looks almost like you were working together.

Jay-ZS+
18-12-14, 05:24 PM
Emailed them it this morning after speaking with them they said I was to blame , so thought I had little to loose by giving it to them. We are both insured by the same company so hopefully should be fairly straightforward.

petet16
18-12-14, 05:32 PM
You could have been on a bike, potentially a much worse outcome

Dan1971
18-12-14, 05:45 PM
Hmm ... Dont think I'd have sent it in to be honest, but hey, what happened happened ....

Smokey
18-12-14, 05:55 PM
I'd have kept the video to myself tbh. More damning for you as it shows your speed/road conditions as opposed to him just pulling out in front of you.

Jason04r
18-12-14, 06:05 PM
Sorry but i'd also say it was your fault :/ doesnt look like you indicated when changing lanes.

Any pictures of the damage to the BMW?

LukeZS96
18-12-14, 06:09 PM
50/50 on that, I failed my driving test today on the same kind of situation. It's one the them things were both parties feel the other was in the wrong

top_man_eldo
18-12-14, 06:51 PM
Emailed them it this morning after speaking with them they said I was to blame , so thought I had little to loose by giving it to them. We are both insured by the same company so hopefully should be fairly straightforward.

What reasoning did they give for you being at fault?

Supercharged_Z
18-12-14, 07:22 PM
probably going into the back of somebody. :strongbench:

Jay-ZS+
18-12-14, 07:23 PM
This ^

R8NMG
18-12-14, 07:49 PM
This video will be good to use as an example on a driver awareness course.

MG ZS STE
18-12-14, 08:17 PM
too fast so not in full control of your vehicle. but, i would have thought the old right of way might come into play as he pulled into your lane? i definitely would not be passing the video evidence over to the insurance and if they got a wiff that i had any id say it wasnt recording at the time.

Gott
18-12-14, 09:14 PM
Just interested, what camera is it? The quality looks really good and should make a good piece of evidence to support someone in the case.

I kinda wanna say 50/50. Seat driver should really be looking until the very second he starts pulling away; which it doesn't look like they're doing else they would've stayed in the lane.
However I think your movement might have been too fast, watching the video I want to say you couldn't stopped sooner too but reaction times though...
I'm sticking with 50/50. It might be worth you both trying to come to that agreement and keeping your no claims discount by repairing your own vehicle.

Dunno though, my main interest was in what dashcam but it felt rude to not contribute...

Jay-ZS+
18-12-14, 09:39 PM
Lol it's a mobius can't remember model , tiny rectangular one. Cost £40-50, Meant to be 1080p but if my tv looked like that I'd be pissed!

tallgeese
19-12-14, 10:27 AM
He pulled out so I'd say him but your naughty going that fast so I shake my finger of woe at you all the same :P