PDA

View Full Version : would you put these on a road car?

MG ZS STE
05-01-15, 10:29 PM
need some replacment rubber and these are keenly priced. seem to have good reviews from track and road users in wet and dry conditions.
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?Marke=Federal&X-Profil=595%20RS-R&X-Name=215%2F40%20ZR17%2083W&dsco=110&details=Ordern&typ=R-248197&ranzahl=4&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&sowigan=So&Breite=215&Quer=40&Felge=17&Speed=W

Radiomike
05-01-15, 11:33 PM
We use them on our 460bhp LS3 RX7 trackday car and once warmed them up they are very good in the dry and just about useable with care on the road. On a cold wet day they are lethal and I would not suggest using them on your everyday driver, breakaway in the wet is unpredictable and once sliding they stay sliding.

stamford
06-01-15, 07:39 AM
As said, only for dry track use. Wouldn't use them for road use for all conditions. I have used the road spec Federals on track and found them to be as good as any other branded tyre with no loss of grip during the day and that included a damp track.

top_man_eldo
06-01-15, 03:02 PM
I had a similar set of Yokohama's fitted to a Delta HF Turbo and as said above, there was zero wet grip but on dry track was superb. I think they were A048s I had, nearly ten years ago now!

dave23572
06-01-15, 03:19 PM
I have just fitted Federal 595 RSR's to my 180 (used mostly on road but a few trackdays per year).

I was recommended them by a mate that uses them on both his cars (Subaru Impreza and Clio182) as every day tyres and trackdays and said he never had a problem.
The Subaru has 575BHP!

So I decided to give them a try as daily driver and track tyres as well.

No problems to report so far on the road.
No worse in the wet than my previous "road" Pirelli Pzero Nero's.
But I do slow down in the wet and never push my luck on the road, which is what you should do anyway.
Haven't hit any really big puddles at high speed yet though, but I think any tyres would aquaplane in that situation.

If they turn out not to be good in the wet, I'll get my spare set of wheels refurbished and fitted with "road" tyres and keep the RSR's for track use. Based on my findings so far, I'm optimistic that the RSR's will be fine for me though on the road, as long as I take care in the wet, which I already do.

Given the time of year, I haven't got to use them much in the dry yet, but that's not really a worry for these tyres, we know they'll be good in the dry. Haven't been on track yet either, but looking forward to doing so.

Wear rate is yet to be seen as I've only had them for a few weeks.
But they're a lot cheaper than my previous Pirelli's!, so not such a problem.
Actually, they were only £65 each when I ordered them a few months ago, but £88 is still great value for good tyres.

Road noise is no higher as far as I can tell.

MPG seems about the same, though I need to do a few more tanks to get a more accurate trend.

The only issue is that these tyres are unfortunately not available in 205/45/17.
The closest size is 215/45/17 which is a slightly larger overall diameter, which of course is an increase in overall gearing.
I haven't noticed a reduction in acceleration, but the good news is the speedo is now more accurate than it was before! Pretty much bang on actually (GPS matches speedo now even at 80mph).

I have had a few minor rubbing issues though with the bigger tyres. If I hit a big bump at high speed the fronts glance the arch liners, but not too serious though. Also some very light rubbing sometimes on full lock parking turns, but not a problem.
Hopefully this will stop once the tyres are scrubbed in.
FYI: My 180 is standard height, springs and (original) dampers.

Dave

Mark S
06-01-15, 03:20 PM
£75 at bmtr