PDA

View Full Version : The zed awakens!

stamford
18-01-15, 09:24 AM
So I decided to work outside yesterday and make a start on the zed once again. From its enforced slumber where the last time it was used was way back in July 2014 when the tax ran out. What with my holiday last September and christmas I decided to sorn it. Wish I hadn't left it so long but sometimes other things take priority.

Anyway had a good look over it and the battery was fully charged so hooked it up and popped the fuel pump relay. Had to swap the fob battery over as this appeared dead. Cranked it over until the oil pressure light went out, popped the relay back in and if fired up straight away. The zed never fails! :thumbsup: It ran like it was used all the time.

Left it ticking over whilst I cleaned the new brakes up. Released the zeds brakes and managed to turn the car around and park it up nose out. So waiting for a dry patch so I can strip the front brakes and fit the biggies :D

Then get the rear brakes stripped and cleaned again and do the usual fluid replenish and order a couple of handbrake cables as one is partially seized.

Once I get Kathy's MGF MOT'd end of the month then I can look to get the zed finished and ready for its MOT, looks like it'll be ahead of schedule for this years POL.

Dan1971
18-01-15, 09:31 AM
Good man. :clap2:

It's making the start that is hard - you'll be all over it now.

Maxfly
18-01-15, 09:50 AM
Excellent stuff bud, think your car enjoys a bit of hibernation now. Great how it starts no problem.

stamford
18-01-15, 11:58 AM
Just been stripping the calipers and cleaning them up and all the other bits and bobs. Discs cleaned and painted, got the Flex-Hone out and cleaned the faces up nicely.

I did say last time I sorned it I wouldn't do it again as it is abuse! But sometimes you have little choice when you have such a car as a luxury. Wish I could garage it, have tried looking for a lock-up.

Dan1971
18-01-15, 12:04 PM
.....I did say last time I sorned it I wouldn't do it again as it is abuse! But sometimes you have little choice when you have such a car as a luxury. Wish I could garage it, have tried looking for a lock-up.

Looked into that myself a while back when I had "Red". There are some local authority garages behind my house but they wanted £15 a week !

Mrs C knows that when we eventually move, the house we go into will have a double garage for my toy.

Maxfly
18-01-15, 12:25 PM
Think prices vary quite a bit, when we were in the flat I hear a lock up and it was about £15 a month which great and I only had to be on the waiting list for 6 months at the most iirc..... Certainly worth looking into. I take it you wouldn't be able to build one of them kit garages which turn up for sale second hand?

stamford
18-01-15, 12:42 PM
I used to rent one years ago in a dodgy part of the area, was around £20 a month back then! I have looked at certain sites and the local council. My current garage is just too small for any car. I do have room to expand but there's a 25' caravan sitting on the plot! I do have plans to extend out and move the caravan at some time in the future. My last house had a double garage and was ideal when I was racing, there was room to work on the car and have another to one side but nowhere to park safely at night etc. So moved 10 years ago and can park three up the drive plus the garage and the hardstand. Sometimes you have to sacrifice things for a better life. I miss that garage!

After some surfing I should know which way these calipers go as there seems to be no orientation marks on them, but luckily the Brembo site has clarified that for me.

talkingcars
18-01-15, 01:51 PM
Mrs C knows that when we eventually move, the house we go into will have a double garage for my toy.

Snap - except Mrs TC doesn't quite understand it has to be a double.

stamford
18-01-15, 02:10 PM
Well for me this house is the only one where it would be a double as the next place will be a downsize for when we retire, long drive, big garage for the Mustang or Cobra ;)

ian zs180
18-01-15, 02:36 PM
Well done pal now the fun starts again zed time :thumbsup:

daytona365
18-01-15, 06:13 PM
Good to see it moving again.......................................... cant wait to see it fly past on way to POL lol.