PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase vent pipework

davidowen66
07-02-15, 08:55 PM
I've got signs of mayonnaise in the crankcase vent pipe that is between the air filter and throttle butterfly. Also signs of water (more like condensation) in the throttle body. Has anyone else experienced this? As this is the line that allows air to be drawn into the crankshaft case, the water must be coming in via the air filter, or am I missing something? I'm happy the HG is ok but don't like the mayo in the crankcase vent hose.

petet16
08-02-15, 07:39 AM
Is the car used for a lot of short journeys ?

talkingcars
08-02-15, 07:51 AM
This can happen if there is a small hole in the breathers.

top_man_eldo
08-02-15, 01:05 PM
I run two catch tanks on mine, I catch oily, mayonnaise style gunk in one tank and water in the other. The mayonnaise is just a mixture of condensation and oil - goes nice on a burger though.

davidowen66
08-02-15, 01:17 PM
Yeah car rarely gets a long run. Was going to go the catch tank route but on the breather pipe the other side of the butterfly to try and stop the butterfly oiling up. I don't like the idea of water being drawn into the crankcase so might have to fit two catch tanks, one downstream of the butterfly to catch the water and one upstream to catch the oil mist.

mattyprice4004
08-02-15, 01:43 PM
It's quite normal on small runs - particularly in the throttle body.
A cold throttle body and damp air = condensation, which mixes with the oil in the intake to make lots of mayo. :(