PDA

View Full Version : Horn MK2 diesel

dmc123
16-02-15, 03:44 PM
I've done a quick search, so apologies if this has been over before!

My Horn has stopped working, (mk2) i know most people will instantly say the BCU relay(s) have failed, but when I push the button you can hear the relay clicking, does this still mean its failed? or is the horn unit knackered? im not immune to a bit of soldering, but i would rather bypass, and make a circuit or something!!! (fog lights still work, aren't they on the same circuit?)

Thanks Dan

petet16
16-02-15, 04:40 PM
Most likely the horn itself.

talkingcars
16-02-15, 04:44 PM
Rear fogs and brake lights are on the same fuse, no 2, in the engine bay fuse box.

peterzs
16-02-15, 05:17 PM
Try the horn by putting a live wire to the terminal, to check if its working or not.

First thing I bought on here a s/h horn, still not used it, but thats life. Got a spare, the original will never fail!!!!

:wave::wave::wave:

andys1981
16-02-15, 05:40 PM
it will be the horn thats failed,this was the same symptoms when i got mine,fitted a new horn and its worked ever since.

Mark S
16-02-15, 06:50 PM
had a couple of horns fail, the mk2 has only 1 horn, but I think there is wiring both sides for 2 horns like the mk1, so a used horn from either side of a mk1 could be the way forward?

talkingcars
16-02-15, 06:53 PM
That was my plan but I assumed the wiring wouldn't be there.

LukeZS96
16-02-15, 11:42 PM
It will be the horn itself. Mine was like that. Because of its position it's very easy for water to get into them causing them to fail, I got away once with just leaving the horn unit to dry for 24 hours and it worked so try that first if the wires aren't badly corroded

R8NMG
17-02-15, 10:47 AM
I concur with others, it is most likely be the horn. Mine had the exact same symptoms with no horn but clicking relay on the horn buttons. Got a new horn and it was fixed.

Mk2 seems to be more prone to horn failure.

Djules
17-02-15, 09:36 PM
Fit both low and high tones from a mk1 on my mk2 was one of my favorite mod. It sounds lovely, even if I barely use the horn.
No wiring for the other side on mine, but add some wire from the n/s side is very easy.

andys1981
18-02-15, 06:06 PM
yip there isnt wiring for a second horn on the mk2,when i bought the horns off a mk1 i had to tap into the original wiring,and make a loom for the second horn.