PDA

View Full Version : Where did Audi go wrong with the A4 (B7)

ShireRoller
11-03-15, 03:47 PM
Had an unfortunate but neccissary hospital visit today in Leeds which is around 1:45hrs each way. My cars been leaking a little oil these last few days which will be getting sorted this week, Just going to whip engine out as its easier. Anyway to the point..

My darling old queen let me use her car as my insurance allows.. Trust me she had to see that one in writing haha.
I felt happy to be aloud such a chance as its a bloody good car to look at! A 2006 gloss red anniversary edition so has nice wide multispoke alloys, Its an S line so has a sportier kit and suspension and an interior I could only dream of in my MG! A catback miltek dual exit system is fitted as it a 'factory' map on the 2.0 TFSi engine bringing it up too 237ish BHP I have been informed by the previous owner.
Heading off down the road I couldnt gauge the steering too well, it litterally has NO feedback! Just a certain set weight. I soon got used to it but at first it just plain confused me!
Its power delivery is like that of a turbo diesel equivalent running out of puff around 5000ish. Maybe im missing the point of the car?
I just felt Audi had gone wrong with this one? Driving down the road the body feels detatched from the wheels/suspension asif the bushes are made of air and the car wallows a fair bit and that suprised me with it been the sports version!
The brakes are incredible with a great feel and good bite, clutch operation makes my ZS look like a tractor and the 6 speed box has a great throw and notchey feel to it, An the seats... oohhhhhh if they would go into my car easily I would be made up!

All in all the car has just left me confused, Am I missing the point of it, It is supposed to be a sports saloon.

When I returned home I chatted to the queen about her car as she was keen to hear my verdict. I suggested some firmer springs and a new map and an open filter as she agrees the induction side of the sound is none existent.
Hell, The woman didnt fit a miltek system because she hates cars and by hell does she wring this Audis neck so it wouldnt suprise me if Im fitting some springs and taking it for a map soon.

Still, Dont suppose anyone knows if anything can be done with the steering feel on these? Its already on 235/40/18's so its not like high sidewalls are dissolving the road surface?

Penny for your thoughts chaps and chapettes!

StragglaSteve
11-03-15, 07:18 PM
its probably Audi's "luxury" feel... smooth, no bumps!

To feel more, apart from the low profiles you already have, instead of springs, go for adjustable coilovers. Then you can set the firmness of the dampers and play about with the ride height to get the feel your happy with.

Only other thing i can think of is poly bushes, but i haven't tried these yet to know the effects.

ShireRoller
12-03-15, 12:45 PM
It feels like the actual steering pump whats wrong more than the suspension. I cant quite describe it..
Like a bad force feedback steering wheel for an xbox haha.

talkingcars
12-03-15, 08:19 PM
I think Audi is trying to give the driver the impresion of sporty while trying to remain responsible.

I was already driving MGs when I was working at VW/Audi, I prefered the MGs and Austins over the VAG's as they were more involving, more of a drivers car.

redzs
12-03-15, 09:21 PM
Most modern cars feel much the same, electric power steering has killed the feel, and emission regs/economy demands have strangled throttle response.

A year ago when I was in the market for a new car, i tried many makes/models and none of the present class of sporty hatches have the alive feel of the ZS.

String together a series of bends when driving the ZS- and you get the feeling the rear axle is under the seat, but it's not like that in newer cars?
Dare I say they're getting too refined and not raw enough?

top_man_eldo
13-03-15, 04:14 AM
Christ if you want poor steering feedback you should drive the Kia Ceed we have! It's absolutely awful.

...and slow, noisy, poorly built, ugly, uncomfortable. The gearbox is without a doubt the worst I have ever experienced. In fact the only good thing about it is the fuel economy! And the car is only four years old.

Dan1971
13-03-15, 06:32 AM
Straight line speed from the lights, but cumfy.

Not everyone feels the need to cane it through bends and roundabouts - driving on the edge of both the car and their own abilities.

Cars like the ZS are for people who simply enjoy driving.

Cars like the Audi are for people who simply have to drive and want it to look good, and be easy.

Maybe it's not so much - how did Audi get it wrong - but - wow - MG got it sooo right !

ShireRoller
13-03-15, 07:44 AM
Honestly Im not referring to on the limit feel, I mean just normal driving. Its hard to judge steering inputs!
electric power steering just sounds baad!

jaorton
13-03-15, 09:27 AM
I know how you feel about Audi's steering. I used to have a 2002 S3 and it was so lumpy at the front end. I found out that the standard "quattro" is about 90% drive to the front and 10% to the back when I went to get it tuned at QS. I also think they have pretty bad weight problems so can't be pushed very much. But if you just wanna cruise along doing business, then they're good for that.