PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Sensor

ZS
31-03-15, 11:26 AM
Reverse lights don't work, so check bulbs and they are fine.

Checked quick release connectors in engine bay, corroded to hell, so cleaned them up...

Whilst cleaning them noticed that when the chimp that used to own this car fitted the Sheddist, fitted the slave bracket he has clamped the reverse sensor wires behind the bracket!

So... Anyone got a spare reverse sensor for sale? If not I'll hit up the bay of e's...

petet16
31-03-15, 12:06 PM
Brand new for not much ££ http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-CDU51P

petet16
31-03-15, 12:09 PM
Uber cheap on the bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCDU51.TRS 0&_nkw=CDU51&_sacat=0

ZS
31-03-15, 12:26 PM
Uber cheap on the bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XCDU51.TRS 0&_nkw=CDU51&_sacat=0

Last time I picked one up I'm sure it was £30 odd! Nice, I'll grab one from the bay then :)

Thanks Pete

ZS
09-04-15, 05:14 PM
Sensor arrived the other day, fitted tonight.

After fitting I noted two things:

First, reverse lights were on all the time.
Second, there is now a "Beeeeeep" from the back of the car (WTF??)

Since the sensor didn't come with a washer I had reused the old washer, but I hadn't any other suitable sized ones, so I cut up an old seatbelt bracket with a perfect sized hole and used that in place of a washer. Now the reverse lights work perfect.

However I still have a "Beeeeeep" every time I put the car in reverse from the back of the car. It lasts about 20 seconds then stops and doesn't happen again till the next time I select reverse. But if I take it out of Reverse and put it straight back in, there is no noise.

Oh and this car does not have any reverse sensors in the bumper before anyone thinks that is the reason... so I have no idea what it is!

talkingcars
09-04-15, 05:20 PM
Has the car got or ever had a tow bar?

There is a less common sort of reverse sensor that has a wire that runs along the inside of the bumper but has no external sensors.

ZS
09-04-15, 05:24 PM
Has the car got or ever had a tow bar?

There is a less common sort of reverse sensor that has a wire that runs along the inside of the bumper but has no external sensors.

There is no tow bar fitted, but I have not looked to see if there is anything under the bumper...

However the bumper will be coming off in a few weeks (after POL now) to be sprayed up so I guess I'll have to wait till then to find out for sure!

The beep doesn't occur again when the car is near a wall, so I am pretty sure its not reverse sensors, but that doesn't mean the car didn't have them in the past and its had a new bumper... so I will look out for signs of accident damage when I have the bumper off I guess!

Skillen
09-04-15, 05:24 PM
I think mine beeps when I select reverse, but not for 20s :/

petet16
09-04-15, 05:33 PM
If you look behind the l/h boot side trim I reckon you'll find the reversing sensor control box and the sounder unit

ZS
09-04-15, 05:36 PM
I'll go check now...

BTW 20s was a complete guess and probably too long, but was to emphasise it wasn't just a quick beep. more like 10 seconds or so maybe, will have to time it :pirate2:

M17TT180
09-04-15, 05:40 PM
I'll go check now...

BTW 20s was a complete guess and probably too long, but was to emphasise it wasn't just a quick beep. more like 10 seconds or so maybe, will have to time it :pirate2:

Yeah long beep is the sensors faulty alert.

ZS
09-04-15, 05:43 PM
Yup, its got a white box and a black speaker unit next to it.

So I guess at some point the car has had reverse sensors installed, ah well mystery solved then :) will remove that at some point as there is no actual sensors in the bumper...

M17TT180
09-04-15, 05:44 PM
Yup, its got a white box and a black speaker unit next to it.

So I guess at some point the car has had reverse sensors installed, ah well mystery solved then :) will remove that at some point as there is no actual sensors in the bumper...

I think you can just unplug it from the loom where it is, might as well leave it there just incase you ever feel the need to refit sensors.

R8NMG
10-04-15, 11:31 AM
A couple of weeks ago, my sensor gave me the dreaded long beep. Once selected revserse, it gave the standard short beep but then this was followed by a continuous long beep. This was an indication of a fault. I washed the bumper as it was quite dirty and everything worked as normal again.

henocsr
10-04-15, 09:56 PM
As above, if you select reverse and get a long beep of about 10 sec, it is a warning that a fault is detected in the system and the system will not work. For the rest of the time the ignition is on the system will not work when every reverse is selected. When the car is keyed off and then back on again the system does a new check when reverse is selected for the first time, and if a fault is detected again, the long beep is sounded, etc etc.

What you can do it is put the car in reverse with the ignition on, but engine off. Got a listen to each of the reverse sensors. They should click continuously. The ones that don't are the ones that have caused the fault. So check the wiring or swap the sensors with the ones that do click and see if the fault moves. that way you can work out if the sensor is faulty, or the wiring is faulty