PDA

View Full Version : Roundabouts Rant!

sduk
07-02-08, 01:01 AM
This is my rant about people who don't know how to use roundabouts!

There are several types of roundabout users....

- those who don't feel the need to indicate at all (i didnt say BMW driver lol)

- those who go right round without indication but indicate when leaving (cos that's helpfull).

- those who decide to pull out infront of you

- and finally those who don't have a flamin scooby and just sit there giving way to left and right.

Is it really difficult??????????? I use about 35-40 roundabouts (no exaggeration) on my way to and from work and its a nightmare!

Maxfly
07-02-08, 06:35 AM
i know exactly what you mean fella, though it aint just bimmer drivers, round most places i know when you drive a taxi you become exempt from indicating anywhere, but especially on roundabouts!!

Another one, those that travel roundabouts at approx 1-2 miles per hour, christ how hard is it??

grimmy
07-02-08, 06:36 AM
The one that really rips my knitting is people who use the wrong lane sitting in the right hand lane when going straight over even though the lanes are clearly marked and also not on roundabouts but dual carriageways the amount of people who hog the OVERTAKING LANE because they are turning right at the end of the road a BLOODY MILE AWAY:rant:

Southern Storm
07-02-08, 08:25 AM
Roundabouts..................Dual Carriageways.........people with no road sense..............
Gaaaaaa. Kill em all.

hmmmm that feels better

arwilson80
07-02-08, 08:38 AM
I did 27 miles in the outside lane of motorway / dual carriageway on Wednesday. Never gained 1 place and people would not move over regardless of their speed (anywhere from 35-70mph)!!! I would've used the left lane to pass if it was 'free' but there were always people in it too travelling about the same speed. :rant:

Roundabouts don't really annoy me as if there's a safe gap i'm away... Sometimes sliding sideways. :blush:

midcuk
07-02-08, 08:46 AM
worse roundabout round ourway is a 3 laner left lane only for turning left on to motorway middle for going straight over and right for going all the way round, all lanes are clearly marked (the middle lane is always busy and the other two dead) so how many do you see going down the left lane then chopping across the chevrons cutting you up just because they cant be botherd to wait in the queue, also people in the outside lane going all the way round (in general roundabouts) cutting everyone up who is using the roundabout correctly makes my blood boil

ZS
07-02-08, 08:55 AM
What annoys me with roundabouts is the BMW who approaches in the right lane along side myself (in left lane) then follows perfectly round the roundabout, then even though there is two lanes on the exit we are both taking decides he wants to be in the left lane and just pulls off the roundabout into left lane leaving me no breaking distance, missing him within mm's, and really pissing the road users behind us off as well...

Since that incident I have change to a Stoeble horn and by jove when I honk my horn now the other driver needs new trousers! (Made one guy who was cutting me up swerve all over the place when I honked the horn... Don't think he was looking!)

arwilson80
07-02-08, 08:57 AM
Since that incident I have change to a Stoeble horn and by jove when I honk my horn now the other driver needs new trousers! (Made one guy who was cutting me up swerve all over the place when I honked the horn... Don't think he was looking!)

Haha... Is that the same horn as on big lorries? :) I think that would be soooo funny.

ZS
07-02-08, 09:03 AM
Haha... Is that the same horn as on big lorries? :) I think that would be soooo funny.

Thats the one :)

Still think its not loud enough so am going to get a deeper tone version and mount it alongside this one at some point.... :D:D:D

sarah
07-02-08, 10:02 AM
Andys dad is a "roundabout rant" he never indicates, gets in the wrong lane, and beeps at people for things that he's done!!

he cannot drive at all, lol.

al_roverMG
07-02-08, 10:54 AM
I dont think it is just roundabouts but the whole standard of driving. I live in the worst area for bad drivers (i saw a survey thing that proved this the other week and i am sure the southern guys will agree) and not wishing to be ageist but the worst offenders are those with, shall we say, more experience. This isnt just the old coggers but middle aged (an normally women more than men i am afraid to say) who some totally oblivious to what is going on around them.

My worst personal experience (i dont count all the silly twats trying to carve me up or generally getting themselves in the wrong place when i was in a lorry. If i hit them i know who was coming off worse) was a warm summers day on the A35 between Christchurch and Lyndhurst. For those who dont know this is the main road across the new forest linking the M27 turn off to Lyndhurst and the area east of Bournemouth.

With a clear road for 1/2 mile on a straight i pulled out to overtake the people carrier doing 40 in a national speed limit. behind this was another car. as my front passenger window draws alongside the following car's rear 1/4 and without signal she starts moving out leaving me nowhere to go. i lean on the horn and decide as another car is behind me overtaking to keep my toe down and keep going as the road is still clear ahead. only as she notices me alongside by now does she swerve back into her lane missing me by a rizla paper at most.

Now comes the best bit. as i pull up for the que (about 5 miles further down the road) for the drop down into Lyndhurst the woman driver now leaps out her car and comes running down the road to my window. She begins shouting at me ranting how i nearly ran her off the road and all. I turned off my car, stepped out and then in a clear polite manner informed her that the highway code says you give way to Vehicles on the right already overtaking you. I asked her if she would do the same on a dual carriageway and she looked at me as if i was mad. I then suggested she might want to return her license to cornflakes and get a proper one.

I mean holding a Commercial license (having an hgv license and also being tested to drive the coastguard blue light vehicles) i pride myself on my driving and it saddens me to see that standards have slipped so far.

stamford
07-02-08, 12:50 PM
You could always live in Swindon and use this :laugh:

'The Magic Roundabout'

http://www.swindonweb.com/uploaded_files/1167/images/lifemagi1.jpg

http://www.swindonweb.com/uploaded_files/1167/images/magicsign.jpg

http://www.swindonweb.com/uploaded_files/1167/images/magi01.jpg

arwilson80
07-02-08, 01:16 PM
Nooooo Ta. :no:

Once i start that i'm finishing it without stopping! :p

sarah
07-02-08, 02:19 PM
wow that magic roundabout looks fun, id like to see it in motion lol.

ZS
07-02-08, 02:36 PM
wow that magic roundabout looks fun, id like to see it in motion lol.

Yes you should see it! the whole road rotates while each individual roundabout rotate in the opposite direction!! Kind of like one of those teapot things at a funfair... :p

:slap::ike::drunk:

sarah
07-02-08, 02:46 PM
Yes you should see it! the whole road rotates while each individual roundabout rotate in the opposite direction!! Kind of like one of those teapot things at a funfair... :p

:slap::ike::drunk:

lol cool or like one of those colidascope (sp) what kids use, you look into it and change the pattern and it roates in different directions.

:sleep:

Maxxed_Ross
07-02-08, 03:19 PM
I have been round that, and it was fecking scary! Always tried to find a pic to show people - now I have one! Yay!

Southern Storm
07-02-08, 03:36 PM
I went round that. Was quite scary. In fact only scarier one in my opinion is the Arc de Triumphe in Paris