PDA

View Full Version : Kia KV6 inlet manifold

redzed
08-06-15, 08:36 AM
ive only recently found out that kia also bought the KV6 from rover group and used it in the Kia sedona cars, i goggled the engine and found this (picture attached) its got a metal inlet manifold, this could be a good replacement for the plastic crap that we use for ours. Anyone know anything about it??

stamford
08-06-15, 08:59 AM
Looking at the photo it doesn't appear to be compatible. Throttle body is on the left and does it use a VIS system? Probably not as the type of car didn't warrant that level of performance. I did know they used that engine but never looked any further as didn't think it would be any better.

petet16
08-06-15, 10:31 AM
I don't think it would even fit in the zs engine bay

redzed
08-06-15, 11:58 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIA-CARNIVAL-manifold-inlet-GV6-build-2001-83792-miles-/111455837977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3AKia|Model%3ASedona|Cars+Type%3A2.5 +V6&hash=item19f3491f19

ZS
08-06-15, 12:10 PM
I would expect to see a loss of power after fitting this inlet, similar I would think to the Early KV6 in the 800's with the metal Manifolds (IIRC).

However, I wonder if you would see a slight increase in torque...

MG ZS STE
08-06-15, 12:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Carnival

the inlet manifold is often blamed as the most significant restriction for power on the KV6.

Can you buy one, get it to work on a ZS and tell us how to do it?

ShireRoller
08-06-15, 01:14 PM
Got a metal one on mine that looks alot like this, jus throttle bodie come to the other side. It has a balance as thats what the stepper motors for! I think with a a little work, that could also fit

redzed
08-06-15, 01:15 PM
I would expect to see a loss of power after fitting this inlet, similar I would think to the Early KV6 in the 800's with the metal Manifolds (IIRC).

However, I wonder if you would see a slight increase in torque...

A lot of guys who race their zs use the old 800 metal inlet, could be a good alternative when vis motors are hard to get hold of.

redzed
08-06-15, 01:15 PM
Got a metal one on mine that looks alot like this, jus throttle bodie come to the other side. It has a balance as thats what the stepper motors for! I think with a a little work, that could also fit

You got a pic?

dave23572
08-06-15, 01:55 PM
We have so many breathing mods available.
Exhausts and manifolds, inductions kits etc but unfortunately no one ever made a performance replacement for the standard plastic plenum/manifold (with unreliable VIS system).

It's a shame because I suspect this overlooked area would give good gains with something better.

ShireRoller
08-06-15, 05:46 PM
Ide like to move pas pump an alternator so a straight lower inlet could be fitted to get rid of the swan necks.

Mark S
09-06-15, 07:32 AM
We have so many breathing mods available.
Exhausts and manifolds, inductions kits etc but unfortunately no one ever made a performance replacement for the standard plastic plenum/manifold (with unreliable VIS system).

It's a shame because I suspect this overlooked area would give good gains with something better.

the intake is so bad, that a really well designed replacement would see an extra 15-18bhp, but the alternator would need moving and pas moving or go electric rack, the costs would be a couple of grand, people get drip fed thousands on junk like janspeed mani's, badly designed stainless exhausts and intakes made from what can only be described as grandmas old hoover pipes, but I've not met anyone yet who would spend a big chunk of cash on one product that would really work, you end up in a stupid conversation about 'cheaper to supercharge or turbo!!! '

petet16
09-06-15, 08:18 AM
I don't see why a discussion about forced induction should be termed as "stupid".

However, the kv6 and supercharging don't have a great history, as far as I know nobody has ever turbocharged one, and if you did it would work out very expensive to build an engine able to withstand a worthwhile amount of boost.

Drew was working on using the tb's off a Triumph bike which was looking promising.

Mark S
09-06-15, 05:58 PM
fi isn't stupid, rather the going round in circles that end in talk of fi.

steve had the wsr intake which appeared to give 15-20hp gain up for sale some time ago, great mod that should have been snapped up within minutes but wasn't. why not though? was it too expensive? too complex?

Rocket Red
09-06-15, 06:10 PM
fi isn't stupid, rather the going round in circles that end in talk of fi.

steve had the wsr intake which appeared to give 15-20hp gain up for sale some time ago, great mod that should have been snapped up within minutes but wasn't. why not though? was it too expensive? too complex?

Most of us don't have that kind of spare cash otherwise I would have snapped that up in seconds.

Mark S
09-06-15, 06:23 PM
sadly a well designed intake is that sort of cash and more

ShireRoller
09-06-15, 06:49 PM
Ide be interested in making one if someone could help with the maths!
Hint at 'Mark S' there!

top_man_eldo
09-06-15, 08:00 PM
I'm sure there is a fella who has made some significant changes to the intake manifold on a KV6 - he has a few clips on YouTube of his car. Adam rings a bell?

ShireRoller
09-06-15, 10:09 PM
That'd be me I think an they are tweeked by someone on here!
Having trouble with it running right lean though, thinking of moving the map sensor back to the throttle body somehow. An been toying with new lower i lets for a while, so i could port the head out some more as the lower inlet diameter isnt very big. If I made a new lower inlet i'd try an make them straighter an longer an a little bigger. Not sure where to start with a valveless plenum

Mark S
09-06-15, 10:28 PM
Adam, where in the rev range do you think it's lean?

the maths are not difficult, but the costs of production are high, if you got ten people together as a group buy you'd be looking at over a grand a pop just to break even assuming the IP and designs where given for free.

as a road car the v6 needs vis to provide a fat wedge of torque throughout the Rev band, it's that fat torque and power curves gnat make the v6 what it is, quite different to a 4pot, it's not a big numbers engine but it's great at fat power.

ShireRoller
09-06-15, 10:48 PM
In the upper realms of the rev range, cant help but think the butterfly valve next to the map is interupting its pressure reading somehow. I'll try an get the readings graphed tomorrow. Plug tips after say 500 miles are quite hardwhite.
I just like the idea of making things I guess, see what works an what doesnt.
On the track my engine will spend most of its time in the higher rpms. Even thought of getting another twin throttle body as I have a spare, an try some kind of frankenstine itb setup. Just an ECU that limits me

redzed
10-06-15, 01:50 AM
I had an idea with using the Kia one to upgrade as its metal you can weld and add to it,

top_man_eldo
10-06-15, 02:31 AM
See if this works!....

http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/rover-kv6/induction

Mark S
10-06-15, 07:00 AM
post up a pic of the plugs

redzed
10-06-15, 10:00 AM
See if this works!....

http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/rover-kv6/induction

No idea this was done, does anyone know of someone ever fitting these??

Skillen
10-06-15, 10:17 AM
I'm sure I've read clearance is an issue. Re bonnet.

top_man_eldo
10-06-15, 03:46 PM
I'm sure I've read clearance is an issue. Re bonnet.

It does say clearance is an issue, my god would that sound good though.

Similar picture from XPF with exhaust cam pulley conversion...

http://i39.tinypic.com/mrcsw5.jpg

petet16
10-06-15, 04:39 PM
The x-over set up gives more clearance.

ShireRoller
10-06-15, 04:43 PM
Ive been too busy today to whip the plugs out, I'll get them done tomorrow morning.
Be nice to see a running itb'd KV6!

Mark S
10-06-15, 10:00 PM
It does say clearance is an issue, my god would that sound good though.

Similar picture from XPF with exhaust cam pulley conversion...

http://i39.tinypic.com/mrcsw5.jpg

not in a million years would that fit under the zs bonnet, the cross over does I believe and has been fitted only a short time ago, but you really shouldn't rely on anyone supplying a trumpet length and width off the shelf without doing extensive research yourself, most big name companies go by some old cr@p written many decades ago that seems to be taken as gospel when in fact its a million miles from perfect.

mattyprice4004
18-06-15, 07:05 PM
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news for those that didn't know, but Adam Baxter (ShireRoller) was involved in a fatal RTC a couple of days back. :(

ZS
18-06-15, 07:15 PM
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news for those that didn't know, but Adam Baxter (ShireRoller) was involved in a fatal RTC a couple of days back. :(

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=359842#post359842