View Full Version : Fradulant Email from "DVLA"

ZS
26-06-15, 10:18 AM
I received this email supposedly to be from the DVLA this morning:

Important: Confirmation of your successful
Direct Debit instruction

Dear customer

Vehicle registration number: FG08OEE

Thank you for arranging to pay the vehicle tax by Direct Debit.

Please can you check that the details attached below, and your payment schedule are correct.

If any of the above financial details are incorrect please contact your bank as soon as possible.

However, if your details are correct you don’t need to do anything and your Direct Debit will be processed as normal. You have the right to cancel your Direct Debit at any time. A copy of the Direct Debit Guarantee is included with this letter.

For your information, the collection will be made using this reference, and this is how your payment will be detailed on your bank statements:

DVLA Identifier: 295402
Reference: FG08OEE
Your vehicle tax will automatically renew unless you notify us of any changes. We will send a new payment schedule at the time of renewal.

Yours sincerely

Rohan Gye

Vehicles Service Manager

Driver a& Vehicle Licencing Agency logo
www.gov.uk/browse/driving

If you receive an email like this, please note DO NOT open the attachment! Delete the email immediately!

I have spoken to DVLA, they are aware scammers are using their name and addresses to try and get bank details from unsuspecting victims and are "taking steps" to try to resolve the issue (but they can't tell me what these steps are).

Please be vigilant people and don't trust emails from anyone unless you are expecting them!

top_man_eldo
26-06-15, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I get similar emails from time to time from so-called Natwest / Barclays where they want your account details etc etc. I keep forwarding them onto the banks but I still get them!

Despite that I'd never trust the DVLA with a direct debit anyway!

stamford
26-06-15, 10:39 AM
Not seen one of them as yet but get a ton of phishing emails at work on a daily basis with invoices to pay etc. I do wonder what sort of person carries out this type of thing and why they do it.

top_man_eldo
26-06-15, 11:05 AM
Not seen one of them as yet but get a ton of phishing emails at work on a daily basis with invoices to pay etc. I do wonder what sort of person carries out this type of thing and why they do it.

More frightening is, how many people fall for it?

peterzs
26-06-15, 11:43 AM
If they are that clever, I dont know why the dont work for a IT Company and earn a honest wage.

ZS
26-06-15, 11:50 AM
Apparently most of these emails are deliberately badly worded and contain spelling mistakes so that if they get a reply the scammer knows they have a very good target... Then they will hit said target with the heavy stuff.

Oh and Peter... Honest wage makes them nowhere near as much money as this does. Think about it like this:

Send out 10 million emails, 0.1% respond parting with their hard earned cash - How much money has scammer just made for hardly any effort? probably tens of thousands of pounds!!

That is only one campaign, now with modern technology one person in his bedroom can send out thousands of campaigns a minute using templates etc... If each one has the same results (or even similar) as above, the mind boggles at the cash flow figures for pretty much no work load.

Now, do this from a country that has no extradition treaty and where this practice is not unlawful (there are a few) and suddenly you have to ask yourself... why the hell do I work?? lol - For the record I do have an honest job and would never spam or scam anyone!

petet16
26-06-15, 01:35 PM
The link in that email is a dead giveaway imo, but they look very convincing.

I've had a few from the Inland Revenue which also look very convincing, the wording in them is the clue, calling themselves revenue agents, that's not a term used in the UK.