PDA

View Full Version : Honest John

LozMachine
02-07-15, 09:55 PM
Reporting this.. http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/insurance/insurance-news/2015-07/lancaster-to-insure-mg-z-cars-and-tfs-as-classics/
A step in the right direction surely?.

peterzs
02-07-15, 09:57 PM
Good.

:wizard::wizard::wizard:

BRMFUN
02-07-15, 10:00 PM
Still depends how much it is! I can insure my BRMs as classics but the premium is double :laugh:

LozMachine
02-07-15, 10:05 PM
Still depends how much it is! I can insure my BRMs as classics but the premium is double :laugh:

Yeah that makes sense lol, meant more about how they are being viewed as cars by the mainstream, ditching the banger tag n that.

Stephen
02-07-15, 10:05 PM
Won't insure me as I'm under 25.

caled
02-07-15, 10:07 PM
Peter Best already do this. Insured my 04 plate mk2 180 last november for 5000 miles for about a hundred quid. Frees up the ncb to use on my daily, too.

LozMachine
02-07-15, 10:10 PM
Peter Best already do this. Insured my 04 plate mk2 180 last november for 5000 miles for about a hundred quid. Frees up the ncb to use on my daily, too.

How does it free up ncb? Curious as my Zed is my daily, how does that work?
Cheers

BRMFUN
03-07-15, 04:57 AM
Yeah that makes sense lol, meant more about how they are being viewed as cars by the mainstream, ditching the banger tag n that.

Yeah it's certainly a step forward in that way, and it does help the status of the Zeds!

caled
03-07-15, 06:01 AM
How does it free up ncb? Curious as my Zed is my daily, how does that work?
Cheers

Classic policies don't require or accrue ncb. Meant I could cancel my existing policy on the zed, use the accrued ncb to insure my daily driver and then start afresh on the zed on a classic policy. Classic policies do have some restrictions, though; low annual mileage (5k at most), you can't commute in them, and I don't think that policy covers me third party to drive someone else's car. But then you can't expect a lot for £100!

I've got my ncb on my diesel civic, and I keep the zed in the garage for weekends. It actually works out cheaper for me doing it this way, even though you've got two loads of tax and two loads of MOTs but the savings in petrol from the zed make it worthwhile.

If you're interested, its well worth giving Peter Best, or it would seem Lancaster as well now, a call to find out whats what. If you were thinking of getting rid of the zed because you need something newer / more sensible, then this is definitely an alternative to consider!

stamford
03-07-15, 06:58 AM
Mine is on a classic policy as well, 5k limit and I can commute if I want to, think it was around £120 with all mods declared. You need to be an MGCC member to get the discount but well worth it. As said NCB is not taken into consideration, but mine is wasted as have max NCB on two other cars I insure.

theboynoz
03-07-15, 06:59 AM
Very interested in this, last year even with commuting I did less than 5000 miles (in the Astra), so now I work from home I barely use the Zed and mainly ride my bike places, only had to do the school run lately due to family holidays otherwise it hardly moves now!

Insurance renewal isn't until October, and I do like being able to drive other cars, will see what happens as the premium is around £300 at present.

Good info though!

caled
03-07-15, 07:36 AM
Mine is on a classic policy as well, 5k limit and I can commute if I want to, think it was around £120 with all mods declared. You need to be an MGCC member to get the discount but well worth it. As said NCB is not taken into consideration, but mine is wasted as have max NCB on two other cars I insure.

You can commute in yours? You with Peter Best? I might push to get that added at renewal, not that I would often commute in the ZS as it would use twice as much fuel! Would be nice to know that I could if I needed to.

stamford
03-07-15, 08:21 AM
You can commute in yours? You with Peter Best? I might push to get that added at renewal, not that I would often commute in the ZS as it would use twice as much fuel! Would be nice to know that I could if I needed to.

Yes, got the usual T&Cs. I haven't even got near the 5k this year, it's only done POL and MGLive plus a couple of commutes. It's hardly a great daily but fun :D

p_b82
03-07-15, 08:38 AM
Certainly an interesting consideration £400 odd saving for 3k fewer miles than on the policy at the moment is not worth sniffing at.... I've currently got two policies with 9+ years NCB so I'd lose that - but one was mirrored to start with so no big deal really...

Problem is, I have my eyes on something else that is not going to be cheap to run, and so I might want to do most the miles in the ZS.... decisions decisions :)