PDA

View Full Version : dark ice clutch

rover_ed
02-07-15, 10:22 PM
Are the clutch kits from dark ice any good im buying 1just want some feed back on it

lawrence-zs180
02-07-15, 10:53 PM
Good bit of kit fitted mine this arvo in about 2 hours Inc bleeding and and tea break, you can deffo see where the extra money went... Shame to be shafted £14 delivery but hey it's a heavy box

theboynoz
03-07-15, 07:01 AM
How hard is it to do your own clutch? Last one I had on the MK1 cost me loads but was done by Mr Clutch..... Only have the 120 if that makes a difference?

6282tom
03-07-15, 09:15 AM
I fitted the Dark Ice kit to my clutch about a month ago and not had any problems. The gear changes 'feel' smoother and it's nice to be able to change the bite point.

I changed from a non OE spec system (origin unknown) because the old hydraulics were leaking so I imagine the change from OE will be more noticeable.

Lukeus101
03-07-15, 12:08 PM
Great bit of kit! Can't recommend highly enough

ZS
03-07-15, 12:29 PM
How hard is it to do your own clutch? Last one I had on the MK1 cost me loads but was done by Mr Clutch..... Only have the 120 if that makes a difference?

The actual clutch is not difficult, you will need a clutch alignment tool (£4 or so from hellfrauds) and be prepared for some frigging heavy lifting if you don't have a gearbox jack as it is a box off job to do :) - But other than that its just manual work... But the last bit (heavy gearbox) is why 90% of people get a mechanic to do the job :)

theboynoz
03-07-15, 02:55 PM
I would imagine the weight to be similar to that of my old MK3 2.0ltr astra...... I did not change that clutch but I did watch as the gearbox was also replaced, so I am aware of the weight, but can it be done in my garage (good size no less) with trolley jacks and axle stands? Also my toolkit took a hammering during a flood in my last garage, so I would only have a decent socket set, some spanners, and the persuaders....(crow bar and hammer)?

top_man_eldo
03-07-15, 03:39 PM
PG1 dry weight is around the 33kg mark I believe, you don't want that hanging off the input shaft!

As said above it's not an overly difficult job, saying that I did change my clutch and gearbox whilst the engine & gearbox was removed from the car. I'm sure that a trolley jack would be OK, but obviously the weight of the gearbox will be offset so it could get a bit unstable. If I was to personally change the clutch with the engine in the car, I'd be investing in a transmission jack. The last time I looked on Amazon they were around the £80 mark (for a Draper one).