PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling the 180

Mat C
09-02-08, 11:48 AM
I'm getting tired of putting in fuel but not getting out many miles basicly. This is a real shame, i love my ZS, it's a lovely looking thing and nothing else in it's sector sounds like it or has such a unique character. But the greedy ministers have decided that a man on an average wage doesn't deserve to run a car such as that and i hate to admit it but the wallet is feeling the strain all too much recently. So what i want is to keep the performance but get a few more miles out of the tank and the only way to go is 4-pot turbo. So, this is aimed at V6 owners who obviously know what the power feels like - what would you go for to replace it with for around the 8 to 9 thousand mark ??
My shortlist is :

Honda Civic Type R (yes i know it's not tubo'd !)
Seat Leon Cupra R
Renault Megane Sport 225
Vauxhall Astra GSi Turbo
Ford Focus RS

My thoughts are the Honda would be the most difficult to live with, always needing to be revved to get the best out of it. The Leon is a 5 door only hot hatch and i have never been a fan of 5 dr hot hatches, the Megane has character for sure and tons of power but is the chassis up to the job - it took the mad 230 R26 to be the real winner and that's way out of my league ! The Astra is, well, a Vauxhall and the Focus only just scrapes in at the 9K mark so they will probably be quite poor examples at that price. So Renault 225 perhaps ?

Smokey
09-02-08, 12:00 PM
sounds like none of them are convicing the way you describe them! Some nice cars there no doubt but a dime a dozen on the road. Its a real pity money becomes the factor tbh.

Mat C
09-02-08, 12:05 PM
Yeah, you've probably hit the nail on the head to be honest ! Each to me has a flaw, not just a minor one like with the ZS having dodgy interior plastics but big ones like handling, high revving, 5 doors, it's a Vauxhall ! But the Renault does seem to be a good choice i think though i need to go and test drive a few i reckon. Or the other answer is to quit simply earn more money but then i'm still feeding the fuel pumps an excessive amount of my VERY hard earnt !

KevG
09-02-08, 12:22 PM
How miles u doing a week?

XPCobra
09-02-08, 12:27 PM
would be the type-r, can't beat honda build quality, but to be honest i'd rather keep my zs 180 than have a type -r civic

Mat C
09-02-08, 12:36 PM
How miles u doing a week?

i'm doing about 150 to 200 miles Kev but it's all town miles, no stretching it's legs. So i'm putting in £40+ per week and it's doing my head in. Now my thought is this - with our cars we are always running 6 cylinders - no choice on the matter but with say the Astra GSI you have a 4 pot with a turbo and around town the turbo would barely cut in. My bro used to have a GSI and around town his mileage was supperior to mine !

georgiansoccer
09-02-08, 12:44 PM
i dont think you would be saving any money on fuel doing this. Not noticable anyway. All of those cars mentioned have about the same fuel consumption figures as the ZS

Gazza
09-02-08, 01:27 PM
Mat cant you join the LPG group buy?

stamford
09-02-08, 02:20 PM
Do your homework on this Mat as I believe the fuel economy of the cars mentioned are not that far away compared to the 180. The figures quoted are liberal and never relate to the real world.

I fully understand where you are coming from as I had the same issues. I run a shed for the commute and enjoy the 180 where it needs to be driven, away from work and on the roads well away from the commuting track.

If you wanted economy, have you given any of the diesel motors any serious thought? A friend of mine has a TDi Golf, gets a real stupid MPG and would give my 180 a hard time on the road as well! Not just Golfs, but well worth some thought.

D3monstrate
09-02-08, 05:30 PM
You would be silly to buy a Renault, consistently near the bottom of Customer Satisfaction tables. Would rather have a Vauxhall...

Good shout with the diesels. Being a 120 owner I havent really had a feel for the 180s speed, however, Ive driven 2 Litre Turbo Diesel Mazda 6s at work and they are mega fast

Craig
09-02-08, 05:37 PM
easy solution, swap the 180 for a 105 zr and then spend all the money you have saved on modifications.

Note to stevie A, sorry mate only joking :D

Mat C
09-02-08, 05:49 PM
Well, to answer a few questions - i would have to be flat broke before i even considered a diesel, infact i'd rather take a hacksaw to my todger than run a diesel ! MPG figures, well book figures as we know don't tell the full story, it's the real world that matters. Using the GSI again for comparison, where i was getting 20 or so MPG around town my bro would constantly get 30+ so to me that's a 50% improvement. As for the Renault, a friend of mine has had a Clio Cup for 3 years now and hasn't had a single problem with it - oddly enough he made the same joke to me about reliability and surveys about satisfaction with MGR products , it just goes to show don't be so quick to believe every thing you see and hear ! As for a ZR105, well i'm after a performance car so that rules that out ;)

ZS180V6
09-02-08, 06:33 PM
I am having similar thought re my car.

Use it to do daily commute to London and the running costs are high.

Petrol is going up all the time and so is the tax.

Doing motorbike CBR on Friday so may well get a Honda Varadero.

If I were to pick a car would go for the Renault Megane Sport 225

Looked at the F1 addition and still fancy one............

StevieA ZS120
09-02-08, 06:42 PM
are any of the cars you have shortlisted going to ease the burden of fuel costs tbh i mean all of the cars you want seem to have more power than the zs by up to 45bhp

Mat C
09-02-08, 07:02 PM
That's true but real world figures - not pointless paper ones - deliver upto 50% more economy. So it looks good for the Renault so far but if i don't like the handling what for the 2nd choice ? Well, i really don't think i should go for the RS. As much as i dislike the Vauxhall badge, it could well be the Astra in 2nd place. They have great equipment levels and the build and reliability is good. So i may well be looking for 2 test drives soon and then it's a case of getting as much as possible for my car.

Glen290
09-02-08, 07:03 PM
I had a 225 before the 180, and even though i miss it, i dont miss the poor reliabilty it had.
Electrical gremlins galore. Had the RAC out a few times when the thing wouldnt start, all the light on the dash lit up and the only way in the end to get it going was to disconnect the battery and reset the system, also the auto steering lock had a habit of staying on and then the car wouldnt start.I paid out £300 quid for renault to trace a broken abs wire so i could get it mot'd and gone..
Go for a vauxhall if you are really set against changing..but avoid the megane..

afcbadam
09-02-08, 07:22 PM
i was thinking off selling mine due to the running costs and getting a diesel. anybody got any ideas off a diesel thats similar in price acceleration and size to the zs 180????

markyzs180
09-02-08, 07:31 PM
difficult one mat....having only had my 180 for 2 months and having considered most of the cars on your maybe list I still went for the 180.....the megane WILL break and be worth pennies once you've had enough...leon cupra, sitting at the lights when test driving one i suddenly became aware that i had one either side of me and one coming the other way, like a rash down here kiddo! honda, naahh v expensive when they go wrong, and they do you know....rs focus, mates got one he drives like a granny and gets about 18mpg if he's going down hill and you ain't gonna get a decent one for less than 12k so its the astra but can you really believe that you'll be at the pumps any less in this??

i'd consider spending 2k on an lpg conversion, it will have paid for itself in approx 100 fill-ups and it'll only cost you 25 quid when you do!! still got the v6, still got the noise, still got the smiles....

tough choice tho kiddo :hmm::(:hmm:

Mat C
09-02-08, 07:37 PM
There's only one problem with getting an LPG conversion apart from the huge out-lay ! We don't have any petrol garages around our way that sell LPG, the nearest one to me is some 35~40 miles away near Lincoln on the A15 !

Boot Hill Bandit
09-02-08, 07:38 PM
i'd consider spending 2k on an lpg conversion, it will have paid for itself in approx 100 fill-ups and it'll only cost you 25 quid when you do!! still got the v6, still got the noise, still got the smiles....

tough choice tho kiddo :hmm::(:hmm:

I don't think I could have put it better myself......just what I was thinking. Spend £2000 to keep what you have rather than lose money selling what you have and spending more on something you don't really want.

If it is of any help......if things get difficult for me in filling my ZS up at the pumps...........LPG is one very serious consideration for me..........and I would make the LPG conversion pay off by driving the ZS as much as I could :D

Jim

StevieA ZS120
09-02-08, 07:44 PM
[quote=Craig 180;39082]easy solution, swap the 180 for a 105 zr and then spend all the money you have saved on modifications.
i can thank mr tax man for my mods buddy lol i got a 700quid tax rebate woohoo thats where my mods come from im now down to 160quid a month on fuel instead of 300odd quid so the cars doing the purpose of what i got it for aswell as cheaper insurance and road tax

markyzs180
09-02-08, 08:11 PM
There's only one problem with getting an LPG conversion apart from the huge out-lay ! We don't have any petrol garages around our way that sell LPG, the nearest one to me is some 35~40 miles away near Lincoln on the A15 !

4 gallons every time you fill up!!!...hmmm i got a better idea, don't sell it and don't bother with the lpg coversion...:whistle:;):whistle::thumbsup:....

Mat C
09-02-08, 08:13 PM
It aint looking good for me is it ? Don't want an unreliable car and i can't bring myself to buy a ruddy Vauxhall so i guess there's only one option - A PAY RISE !!!!

XPCobra
09-02-08, 08:52 PM
It aint looking good for me is it ? Don't want an unreliable car and i can't bring myself to buy a ruddy Vauxhall so i guess there's only one option - A PAY RISE !!!!

exactly, stay with mg/r :thumbsup:

markyzs180
09-02-08, 08:59 PM

On yer knees fella....:yikes:

Its a real toughie mat...u ain't gonna get the performance with any serious increase in mpg....my bro in law has got the golf gt-tdi 150bhp PD engine, goes like stink and well torquey too and no matter how hard you drive it you'll get over 30mpg...50+ on a run...and a mate has just had an a5 3.0 tdi...i was giving it everything to stay with him, dunno what mpg he gets tho..

On yer knees fella....:yikes:

ZS
11-02-08, 12:29 PM

Exactly the same problem with LPG round here!

I've been giving some thought to changing cars as well... but I can't bring myself to sell the 180 as I can't find anything that will do the same for me...

For myself maybe a shuffle of the cars would be better...

ZS180 19 - 30 mpg depending on how I drive...
Land Rover - 18mpg if driven like my granddad, 8mpg if driven like a loon
216 - 30mpg+ and you have to drive like my grandad because otherwise you'll crash it! (It Don't go round corners)

Only problem is the 216 isn't really mine to drive every day...

I'm now considering when the 216 goes some of the older cars... Not sure what yet (my heart say's 67 mustang or other american muscle... my head say's something else)

On the otherhand you could get yourself one of those New X5's Twin turbo diesel (you can't tell honest) quick, "good" economy, and lowest tax braket! - or maybe even a Blue motion Polo (no tax!)

Again it all comes down to money.

D3monstrate
11-02-08, 04:32 PM

The thing with LPG is, its not only Petrol Stations that sell it. My dad got his car done a few years ago, and he went to a place in Kirkcaldy that sold various gases in Randolph Industrial Estate (for those who know where I am). So maybe its worth checking some Industrial Estates around looking for anyone who might be doing something similar...

Mat C
11-02-08, 05:02 PM
If i was to spend £2000 on an LPG conversion (which i will say again - i don't have that sort of money available to lay out!) then i would want to stop using petrol forever and know that whenever and where ever i want LPG it is going to be available, without having to phone around or hunt around industrial estates that generaly are only open 8am to 6pm. To me an LPG conversion would be a foolish decision as i would never recuperate the costs involved and i would still be running on normal petrol for 90% of the time eg in my town !!!!

stamford
11-02-08, 06:15 PM
Sorry Mat, but one word still keeps coming back to me here 'diesel'.............I know you hate them with a passion, but why? Have you actually driven a decent one on a good, hard long run? I was of the opinion that diesels were horrid, but having owned three HDi's I can't fault them. I have a friend who is on his fourth VW, his first a Golf TDi, 6 speed and 160bhp went like stink and returned 60mpg!

Try one, you may be surprised.

My brother-in-law has the BMW 330d and that is something else, packing around 230bhp.

Mat C
11-02-08, 06:21 PM
I drive a 1 year old Astra TDI van on a daily basis. It has exactly the same engine as my brothers VXR lookalike CDTi and yes it's quite nippy, fast in some areas. But i'm a pertrol head, high revs, growly engines, not 4500rpm and yer out and the classic soundtrack of Massey Fergusson ! There are ways to achieve more than 20mpg average and still have blinding performance. Unfortunatly it wont wear an MG badge but more importantly it wont be a ruddy diesel ! :D

stamford
11-02-08, 06:24 PM
Petrol head :D can't argue with that :laugh:

In that case go for a Caterham, Westfield or a Tiger...............lightweight, plenty of fun and available in a variety of engines!

Mat C
11-02-08, 06:38 PM
Nope, still need a good size boot, so hear goes, and i really can't believe i am saying this but it may well be that the Astra GSi could be the answer ! 197BHP and 185 lb-ft of torque as standard is a good stating point ! ESP and traction control, leather heated Recaros, cruise control, 308mm front brakes, cheaper insurance (group 15 as opposed to 16), cheaper road tax (214g/km) 0-60 in 7.0 and 149mph ! I'm actualy starting to convince myself now which is good. What isn't good is i remember driving my brothers and while it was undoubtedly fast the thing that stuck in my head was the steering and for the wrong reasons - it felt over-assisted and too light, entering fast corners at high speeds didn't seem as balanced and natural as in the ZS but maybe that's something that time would change ?!

ian zs180
11-02-08, 10:25 PM
get the cupra r mat its a much better car than the astra and you wont get the dreaded engine light coming on like most vauxhalls do

Mat C
12-02-08, 06:22 AM
What a confused person i am ! Cupra is out because it's 5 doors and now, the Astra is out for the fact that they are now 5 years old and my car is only 3 ! So i guess it's keep it and go for that pay rise ! Plus to convince myself to keep the Zed i think i might get some new wheels for it !

Maxfly
12-02-08, 06:35 AM
fit all the fuel saver things on ebay and surely with them all together you will have the power of a top fuel dragster but the economy of a derv polo bluemotion ;)

go get that pay rise:D

Boot Hill Bandit
12-02-08, 08:56 AM
What a confused person i am ! Cupra is out because it's 5 doors and now, the Astra is out for the fact that they are now 5 years old and my car is only 3 ! So i guess it's keep it and go for that pay rise ! Plus to convince myself to keep the Zed i think i might get some new wheels for it !

It's okay Mat we all understand the predicament. I would like to sell my ZS as well..........but I am just not willing to step away with £3000 when I know it owes me so much more.

I looked at an MGF yesterday.........convinced it was going to be mine..........until I sat down and thought it through......plus with a little guidance from a good friend. I walked away and am keeping the ZS.

I am now looking into fuel.........and there are 4 LPG stations in my area :mml: tempted??? YES VERY! :D Thanks to Papa Lazaroo for doing all the legwork on this though as he seems to have done all the trial and error for proving it can work as it should.

The main fuel saving on the ZS180 is no hard throttle and keep it all below 3000rpm........that done MPG should be good. I say that......and sadly I just cannot stick to that myself.....I love the roar and the power it delivers.

Running on Super Unleaded is supposed to give benefits as well returning higher MPG to the tank.........dunno how or why but it is a consistant report from forum members as well as the press. BP Ultimate was my favourite but I tended to use Tescos Super Unleaded in the ZS frequently before prices spiralled out of control. Tescos being 'Esso' iirc ;)

Jim

papa_lazaroo
12-02-08, 11:49 AM
It's okay Mat we all understand the predicament. I would like to sell my ZS as well..........but I am just not willing to step away with £3000 when I know it owes me so much more.

I looked at an MGF yesterday.........convinced it was going to be mine..........until I sat down and thought it through......plus with a little guidance from a good friend. I walked away and am keeping the ZS.

I am now looking into fuel.........and there are 4 LPG stations in my area :mml: tempted??? YES VERY! :D Thanks to Papa Lazaroo for doing all the legwork on this though as he seems to have done all the trial and error for proving it can work as it should.

The main fuel saving on the ZS180 is no hard throttle and keep it all below 3000rpm........that done MPG should be good. I say that......and sadly I just cannot stick to that myself.....I love the roar and the power it delivers.

Running on Super Unleaded is supposed to give benefits as well returning higher MPG to the tank.........dunno how or why but it is a consistant report from forum members as well as the press. BP Ultimate was my favourite but I tended to use Tescos Super Unleaded in the ZS frequently before prices spiralled out of control. Tescos being 'Esso' iirc ;)

Jim

Cheers Jim, By the way, I was a little miffed at the range I get, until I realised that once the LED Fuel gauge tells me I have used up my fuel, I can still get 80 miles on Empty.

I feel a double entendre coming on......... I can get a total of 600miles provided I empty both my tanks :cry:

Mat C
12-02-08, 04:25 PM
Result ! I've managed to get a (small) payrise today ! i've got an extra 50p per hour which on my basic 40 hour week and after my tax works out as an extra £16. That will make life a lot easier - i know it doesn't sound a lot but it really will make all the difference ! So now it looks like the Zed is safe and there could well be a tasty set of rims being fitted very soon courtesy of my good friend, Mr Tax Return ! :D

georgiansoccer
12-02-08, 04:31 PM
Mat C is it a brand new Astra you are looking at?

I think you are looking for a change more than anything.

Parkers are saying 0-60 in 7.7 for the 197bhp astra which is gonna be almost a second slower that yours.

If you want economy then a diesel or a smaller petrol 1.6 is the only way to go.

If you do a lot of town driving then that kills even the diesel economy

ZS180V6
12-02-08, 04:43 PM
Cheers Jim, By the way, I was a little miffed at the range I get, until I realised that once the LED Fuel gauge tells me I have used up my fuel, I can still get 80 miles on Empty.

I feel a double entendre coming on......... I can get a total of 600miles provided I empty both my tanks :cry:

Did a quote online for the ZS180 :

Selected Vehicle:
MG ZS 2.5 180 Saloon 4d 2497cc.
LPG System BRC Sequent (G)
Tank Toroidal
Cost of Conversion £1,900.00 + VAT
Net Cost of Conversion £2,232.50 inc. VAT
Petrol Spend PA £1,561.28
LPG Spend PA £880.14
Saving PA £681.15
Saving after 4 years £2,724.59
Return on Investment 30.5%