PDA

View Full Version : Rear Ended

ShrimperZS
16-08-15, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately yesterday my mk2 ZS was hit from behind heavily while stationary at traffic lights, I have invested money in it recently to bring it back into shape and to pass its MOT so I'm gutted to say the least having owned it 8 years. The boot floor is crumpled , hatch will not open and rear quarter panel is almost touching door so I'm expecting the worst - right off.
can someone give me some idea how this is likely to play out with the insurance company and my possible options.
Thanks Kev

stamford
16-08-15, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear about this, doesn't sound good. I can't comment on the process in detail as not been rear-ended or had an accident where it could be a total loss. The wife had her Jeep written off several years back but wasn't worth buying back due to the level of damage. In your case it depends if you want to buy it back or take the money? All I will say is ensure you have plenty of pre-accident damage photos and information to prove the condition it was in, it may help to negotiate a better settlement as usually they will offer the basic.

BRMFUN
16-08-15, 07:26 PM
I may be too late to say this but if you have the car don't let it get taken away by the insurance company! Negotiate with the car in your hands, this is not always possible due to space but I have found in the past this works better, you could also possibly take a pay off and keep the car and get it repaired yourself! You will as said be better to get loads of proof of how much it's worth eBay adds etc

ShrimperZS
16-08-15, 07:41 PM
Thanks
I still have it and will not rush into letting it go. Been a ZS180 owner since August 2001 and the love story with the ZS will not end here! https://instagram.com/p/6dNX_9rzPZ/

jc600
16-08-15, 08:17 PM
Hope it gets sorted mate. :)

Dan1971
16-08-15, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear - hope you're OK.

Get as much as you can for it using photos you have and all the high price cars you can find for sale. Use some threads from here - it'll be written off - then give scrap value back to the insurance company and keep it. Break it via here or the bay of E and you'll end up with more than enough to get another.

Real shame after so many years of ownership.

jaorton
17-08-15, 07:10 AM
This happened to me a couple of years back. Rear ended in my mk. I ZS (which I had had for about 7 years). Not a great deal of damage but insurance company wrote it off anyway.

They didn't offer me a great amount on the basis that eBay had similar cars for sale for £300 - £400 (spare or repairs). I found some actually similar models at a higher price but they still wouldn't budge.

They told me on the phone that I would be able to buy the car from them "for pence". Which was correct, nearly 50,000 pennies! I took most of what I could off the car without gutting it and let the insurers have it.

In the end with the payout I was able to buy a younger car with less miles so it kind of worked out for me anyway.

peterzs
17-08-15, 08:46 AM
Never accept the first offer, it will be their opening shot.

If you have kept all the invoices for work, or things you have bought for it, take photo copies as confirmation it was better serviced and looked after than any cheap ones they may say are out there.

Just be careful there are no mods you should have declared and have not!!

Then I'd get some higher value ads of similar age and miles as proof of what the better ones go for.

Send the proof in, best if you can telephone the claim handler and see if you can get him/her on your side!!!

I always thought it was up to the insurance company to put you in the same position as you were in before the accident and its down to the idiot that hit you to pay. So I'd argue the case. Sounds like it will need to go on a jig and be pulled back into shape. Might be having a word with a accident repair place. Tell them you are paying not going through insurance. Lets you know what it might cost if you bought it back.

Good luck, but like Luke on here, you could walk away from it.

:wave::wave::wave:

ShrimperZS
05-09-15, 02:19 PM
Now got the ZS back from the insurance company after they decided it was uneconomic to repair, made a first offer of £1700 total loss or a non negotiable £1300 to repair myself so i took the latter and another ZS180 is saved :beer2:
After speaking to Steve Tyler at British Legends i have got it booked in with the guy he uses and should be back next weekend with some of the other tatty bits sorted too.

petet16
05-09-15, 02:59 PM
Good news

peterzs
05-09-15, 03:37 PM
good result, from a bad incident.

Dan1971
05-09-15, 04:13 PM
Wow - £1700 was a decent offer. £1300 and the car back is a great result.

daytona365
05-09-15, 04:20 PM
Thats good news...Another one saved...............

jc600
05-09-15, 09:50 PM
Cool, glad it's getting sorted mate. :)

BRMFUN
05-09-15, 10:56 PM
Now got the ZS back from the insurance company after they decided it was uneconomic to repair, made a first offer of £1700 total loss or a non negotiable £1300 to repair myself so i took the latter and another ZS180 is saved :beer2:
After speaking to Steve Tyler at British Legends i have got it booked in with the guy he uses and should be back next weekend with some of the other tatty bits sorted too.

:clap:

stamford
06-09-15, 09:36 AM
Good news, glad the offer was good enough to take back and repair.

ZS Phil
06-09-15, 09:38 AM
Excellent, glad its sorted :)

Rockey5uk2001
07-09-15, 08:03 AM
Great stuff

p_b82
07-09-15, 10:40 AM
Glad to hear that is has life still :)