PDA

View Full Version : Went to look at a 120

mattie007
22-10-15, 07:43 PM
My current 120 has unfortunalty died, needs a new engine, front bearings and clutch.
So today I went to view a 52 plate, forgot how nice they were to drive!
Couple of questions though...

The coolant was just water, but it heated up quickly and the temp gauge stayed constant. Could this cause a problem later on?
The red paint was a little faded and flat in places, would a good wax and polish sort this?
The headlining had dropped at the back corners, is I easy to glue back in?
I'm sure that before I set off the oil was in the middle, when I got back, it was below the minimum line. Is that because it was warm?
Just the one key and fob which was very worn, hoping I can just swap over?
Only part history with no evidence of head gasket/cambelt changes
Clutch was high, but so is my current 120. Changed gear nicely though.

Positives, its just sailed through the MOT with no advisories, new tyres, stainless exhaust, piperX induction, AC worked, fantastic sound system and a well looked after interior. And its only on 82k for a 13 year old car.

http://i62.tinypic.com/15mbtd1.jpg

skyblueads
22-10-15, 07:59 PM
How much is it up for? There was a nice ignition blue mkII hatch around a little while back - there's lots of them about, this one sounds a little ropey in my opinion.

mattie007
22-10-15, 08:08 PM
£750, but there's room for negotiation.
I can see why you would say that, but to drive it felt very tight and pulled well. However that was just on a 5 minute test drive. I believe it wouldn't take much to make it a decent one, but I am just a tad concerned by the water and oil.

petet16
22-10-15, 08:09 PM
What's going on with the near side bonnet latch ?

Skillen
22-10-15, 08:46 PM
Snapped the latch off it looks like, probably not released properly once and then snapped.

talkingcars
22-10-15, 08:56 PM
Why is the coolant just water, has it been leaking?
Running without coolant isn't a good idea.

Perhaps it's been leaking into the oil and steamed off as you drove.
The oil level shouldn't drop much.

mattie007
22-10-15, 10:48 PM
There was a bit of steam on startup but seemed to disappear.
I'm thinking this is one to avoid. Think I was blinded by the sound system!

fastmike
23-10-15, 07:46 AM
My son struggled to sell his MK2 120 recently, accepted £400 for it just last week, only thing wrong with it was drivers leccy window motor dead, it would have done you proud Mattie

mattie007
23-10-15, 08:22 AM
******! Been to look at quite few and they're usually in poor condition despite being advertised as mint

Rockey5uk2001
23-10-15, 10:00 AM
I'd walk away mate

fastmike
24-10-15, 09:44 AM
******! Been to look at quite few and they're usually in poor condition despite being advertised as mint

the first person that viewed it bought it , just found it difficult to get anyone to come and see it

mattie007
24-10-15, 06:05 PM
Must be some nice ones out there! 3 this week have all been pups. One was advertised as mint, the headlining was a state, the drivers side vent was loose, cracked bumper and sticking brakes. :ohmy:

grimmy
24-10-15, 08:55 PM
I seen one on fb earlier today it's going for strong money but meant to be a cracker I will have a look and tag you Mattie.

mattie007
24-10-15, 09:04 PM
Cheers mate. Saw it posted earlier, strong money but is probably one of the best out there.