PDA

View Full Version : XPower...................

stamford
13-02-08, 12:51 PM
where did this name originate from?

The thought came to me today, sorry, it won't happen again :laugh:

Just thought I'd get the grey matter going and see what gets thrown up!

My theory is when the current range of Z cars were being developed they were known as the 'X' cars, so maybe the XPower brand stuck for tuning goodies and merchandise?

Discuss...............

Glen290
13-02-08, 01:29 PM
sounds like good reasoning..

Robstar
13-02-08, 01:29 PM
Stamford I think thats a good question? Personally I havent got a clue. Would be intresting to see what people have to say.

lewerty
13-02-08, 02:58 PM
wasnt it from the btcc ?

wilko66
13-02-08, 03:56 PM
could it be shortened from extra :hmmm: or maybe that because they was short of cash just using 1 letter was cheaper :look:

papa_lazaroo
13-02-08, 04:38 PM
When I was there, we were told in the design office that the management wanted to begin breaking away from the MG Brand. For the 2002 motorshow there was going to be a new range of Sports cars marketed at the young enthusiasts, and would become the "Extreme" branch of the Marque. this was to be accompanied by the logo or name of any tuning company such as TWR.
As it turned out, most tuning companies wanted a big cash deposit so Rover didn't take anyone as a development partner, instead they started "stealing" tuning company staff on a promise of gold and jobs for life, and the agencies had to give the candidates a name of who was poaching them. Rover decided 'X', for Extreme, and Power as it had worked well as a marketing tool for 'M' Power division of BMW.
Rover then set up X-Power in the old special vehicles building at the back of North works, right by the railway bridge on Cofton Road. X-power was financially running on it's own budget from then on. It helped them with suppliers, as by using their own budget, they didn't get hammered with "we won't supply you Exhausts until MG-Rover pay their outstanding debts"

Hope this helps. Might be utter cr@p, but it's what we were told.

KevG
13-02-08, 05:48 PM
Sounds plausible, most companies manage to get round stuff like that with launching a new name/brand, it doesn't surprise me that the phoenix 4 done this.

stamford
13-02-08, 10:00 PM
Sounds good to me, who could make that up? :laugh:

mattie007
13-02-08, 11:15 PM
My understanding was that it was used in Motorsport to promote a new range of MG-X and limited edition vehicles such as the ZR-X.

Maxxed_Ross
14-02-08, 10:02 AM
more importantly, why is the R backwards? lol