PDA

View Full Version : Hazards flashing when locking car?

wu11ie
25-01-16, 03:17 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking for more help.

When I lock the car with the fob or the key the hazards flash 3 times as normal but after a minute or so they start flashing again and don't stop,

Anybody know what causes this?

Thanks,

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Stephen
25-01-16, 03:31 PM
You have a relay gone in the BCU. Does the hazards flash constantly all the time ?

ZS
25-01-16, 03:56 PM
Soggy Sounder?

Sounds like the alarm is going but with no sound...

petet16
25-01-16, 04:03 PM
I would go with the soggy sounder as well.

wu11ie
25-01-16, 05:00 PM
You have a relay gone in the BCU. Does the hazards flash constantly all the time ?
That's the thing, they don't.

They flash 3 times as normal when I lock the car.

Then after a minute or so they'll flash for around a minute or 2 then stop. Then after another minute or so they'll flash again for another minute, then it stops all together.
Soggy Sounder?

Sounds like the alarm is going but with no sound...

I would go with the soggy sounder as well.
If I try to lock the doors with a door still open the horn beeps, is that linked to the alarm or is that a separate warning?

petet16
25-01-16, 05:02 PM
The horn sounds to indicate a mislock

talkingcars
25-01-16, 05:12 PM
I assume the car in question is the one in your avatar so is a mk2 with a pektron (round) fob.

Sounds like a BCU or soggy sounder fault, I'd start by un plugging the sounder.

MG ZS STE
25-01-16, 08:45 PM
trick the alarm to see if it sounds. open your bonnet, put your finger on the bonnet switch located on the left hand side of the inner wing. lock the car with the fob, it will think the bonnets shut. then release the bonnet switch with your finger, the alarm should go off instantly. if only your hazards flash then its your sounder.

wu11ie
25-01-16, 09:31 PM
I assume the car in question is the one in your avatar so is a mk2 with a pektron (round) fob.

Sounds like a BCU or soggy sounder fault, I'd start by un plugging the sounder.

trick the alarm to see if it sounds. open your bonnet, put your finger on the bonnet switch located on the left hand side of the inner wing. lock the car with the fob, it will think the bonnets shut. then release the bonnet switch with your finger, the alarm should go off instantly. if only your hazards flash then its your sounder.

The horn sounds to indicate a mislock
Thanks guys, I'll try that tomorrow.

Djules
26-01-16, 06:40 PM
You could lock you in the car with the fob and try to unlock the driver's door, it should trigger the alarm as well.

wu11ie
01-02-16, 01:13 PM
Finally got a chance to look at this.

Tried the bonnet open and pressing the switch, let go and not a peep, lights started flashing but no noise.

Next I checked the sounder to which I found it wasn't plugged into anything and I can't see a plug for it anywhere!??

So I would assume it's the BCM as mentioned above, BUT what is a BCM and where is it? Lol

ZS
01-02-16, 02:29 PM
Finally got a chance to look at this.

Tried the bonnet open and pressing the switch, let go and not a peep, lights started flashing but no noise.

Next I checked the sounder to which I found it wasn't plugged into anything and I can't see a plug for it anywhere!??

So I would assume it's the BCM as mentioned above, BUT what is a BCM and where is it? Lol

The wires on my sounder come out the bottom of the unit (you have to remove the header tank to get to the sounder) so its possible if its been disconnected the plug has been taped up or fallen down out of sight. I would check it out to make sure its not damaged and shorting etc first...

As for the BCM, if that is at fault I believe technozen (is that spelt right?) is still doing repairs of them...

petet16
01-02-16, 03:22 PM
Sounds like water in the sounder to me

wu11ie
01-02-16, 06:23 PM
The wires on my sounder come out the bottom of the unit (you have to remove the header tank to get to the sounder) so its possible if its been disconnected the plug has been taped up or fallen down out of sight. I would check it out to make sure its not damaged and shorting etc first...

As for the BCM, if that is at fault I believe technozen (is that spelt right?) is still doing repairs of them...
Well now I'm extra baffled because I have a sounder thing bolted to the back of the engine bay, I'm assuming that's not original?

I'll need to take the header tank off and have a look,
Sounds like water in the sounder to me
Cheers mate.

petet16
01-02-16, 06:36 PM
Maybe at some point an aftermarket alarm system was fitted

talkingcars
01-02-16, 09:10 PM
.....So I would assume it's the BCM as mentioned above, BUT what is a BCM and where is it?.....

BCU - Body Control Unit - it's a box full of electronics and relays and hides behind the centre console which has to come out to get it out. It controls much of the car such as drivers window, fog lights, heated rear window, interior lights, horn, central locking and alarm functions.

www.technozen-electronics.co.uk tells you all about it, Paul does same day postal repairs.

wu11ie
02-02-16, 02:46 PM
BCU - Body Control Unit - it's a box full of electronics and relays and hides behind the centre console which has to come out to get it out. It controls much of the car such as drivers window, fog lights, heated rear window, interior lights, horn, central locking and alarm functions.

www.technozen-electronics.co.uk tells you all about it, Paul does same day postal repairs.
Nice one, thanks.

R8NMG
03-02-16, 11:13 AM
When I had my soggy sounder syndrome, it was the alarm randomly going off with no hazards flashing.

mattyprice4004
04-02-16, 02:10 PM
When I had my soggy sounder syndrome, it was the alarm randomly going off with no hazards flashing.

A friend also had similar, took him a while to get to the bottom of it!

wu11ie
04-02-16, 11:56 PM
Well I got the sounder off today, found the plug and plugged it in, within 30 seconds it was going bananas!!,

Unplugged it brought it in the house, dried it with the hairdryer and let it dry out, took it back to the car and plugged it in and the same thing happened so I'm assuming the sounder is gubbed.

Is there a fuse or anything I can take out to disable the alarm as a temporary measure?, I don't want the hazards flashing constantly.

wu11ie
05-02-16, 12:32 PM
Plugged it back in today and it worked, no lights or alarm, happy days.

Dan1971
05-02-16, 12:41 PM
Good news ....

talkingcars
05-02-16, 04:04 PM
When you took it in to dry it did you open it up?