PDA

View Full Version : starting problem!!

redzed
08-03-16, 07:08 AM
Right guys i need some help for a brit on the other side of the world. my zs 180 recently wont start. Called an auto electrician out who said it was my crank sensor so i ordered an aftermarket one here which apparently works on zs, zt and landrover. Anyway i fitted that and still no start, it turns over, has fuel not sure on the pressure though. Coils have power going to them but has no spark. obd reader apparently didnt have a fault code when it was checked by the electrician, fuses all ok. So i have to it seems order another crank sensor from the uk which i really dont want to after just buying one from here, unless any of you zs wizards can give me any other things i can check??

Thanks in advance

redzed
08-03-16, 07:21 AM
i need to order this http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NSC000070 anywhere to get a better price??

Also looking on rimmers it looks like ive been sent the cam shaft sensor instead of crank sensor.... bloody aussies. Would that be why im not getting a fault code for faulty crank sensor but also why its not firing?

Dan1971
08-03-16, 07:24 AM
Changing my crank sensor worked on my Red Mk1 when it had issues. (£10 second hand).

When I did do it though, it didn't just fire up straight away. I kept going and going - it didn't work. Then I had a break, went back out in frustration and tried again - and she fired up.

redzed
08-03-16, 07:25 AM
this is the sensor i got sent by a supplier here in aus

Dan1971
08-03-16, 07:27 AM
Just read your update about getting a camshaft sensor - not a crank sensor. Get a crank sensor - I'm sure they are different and not interchangeable. Does that one look like the one that you've got in there already?

Like I said - mine was £10 second hand - positioned on top of the engine - near the oil cap.

peterzs
08-03-16, 09:44 AM
Hope the proper crank sensor sorts it, have to let us know.

Trust its all going well down under. (apart from the ZS)

talkingcars
08-03-16, 04:08 PM
I have had cam sensor fault cause a non start twice, 18 months apart, wasn't the cam sensor but the power supply to the lambda probe on the rear exhaust manifold grounding out on the hot exhaust and fusing the mutual power supply.

redzed
08-03-16, 09:51 PM
Just read your update about getting a camshaft sensor - not a crank sensor. Get a crank sensor - I'm sure they are different and not interchangeable. Does that one look like the one that you've got in there already?

Like I said - mine was £10 second hand - positioned on top of the engine - near the oil cap.

i didnt want the cam sensor at all just got sent the wrong one even though i double checked with the company it was a crank position sensor.... just looking at rimmers yesterday i can see they sent a landrover cam sensor none oe one. i wish i could get one for £10, theyre none here that i can find and no second hand ones either, plus where the dollar is crap the sensors going to cost $360 to get it to me......

talkingcars
08-03-16, 09:53 PM
Have you asked Rimmers for a price?

redzed
09-03-16, 02:42 AM
Have you asked Rimmers for a price?

Yeah the price that I quoted was from rimmers

Deckz
09-03-16, 05:12 PM
I'd hate to see how much Rimmers are charging you to send it to Oz lol

talkingcars
09-03-16, 06:44 PM
Get them to post it to me and I'll send it on, can't see it being much by Royal Mail airmail.

redzed
22-03-16, 11:14 AM
help!! right after spending a pretty fortune to get the oem crank sensor the car still wont start.... fuel is present, and i can smell it in the exhaust after starting and when i disconnect the fuel pipe by the filter its clear its pressurizing fine. There is power to the coils, everything is plugged in as it should be and earths have been checked. im going to put a different ecu in see if that solves it but any pointers on where else i can check? It turns over fine, fuel pump primes fine, coils have been replaced and has new spark plugs fitted very recently. I have recently cut out unused loom in the car only removed the wires to the rear doors and the wires up to the sunroof and everything has been insulted and cut properly. cant see how it was turning over fine just recently and now doesnt?? help if you can!

cheers in advance

hansligg
22-03-16, 12:25 PM
Ive had the same problem last few days, missus car was knackered last week, used mine to jump start it a couple of times, Drove ZS 100 mile roud trip friday, left it until yesterday then it wont start, coughing and spluttering but wont start. Jump started it, still nothing, bump started it and nothing.
Greenflag came out this morning and towed it to garage with them thinking it was fuel related or starter motor as its cranking and trying a little more to fire up when pumping pedal but still nothing.

I expected cam shaft sensor as it was showing all signs of this.

Garage rang this morning, used another Battery and after a couple of attempts it fired up. It turned out I had flooded engine trying that many times to start it.

£15 lighter, same battery, couple of checks and its running and working.

just saying see if its something a little less complex such as starter motor or as minor as a battery draining.

As all MG owners do, we dread the worst when something like this happens!

talkingcars
22-03-16, 09:44 PM
Does the car turn over but make no attempt to fire?
If I start mine up from cold and move it a few yards and then not use it for a couple of days it floods. It'll turn over and turn over but sound almost as if there is no compression, I just have to spin it over for what seems like for ever before starting.

Mark S
22-03-16, 09:50 PM
weak fuel pump or old fuel?

redzed
23-03-16, 12:42 AM
weak fuel pump or old fuel?

There's no spark for what ever reason. Fuel pump primes well and it's been topped up with new fuel. Only thing I can think of is the immobiliser at fault. I've got some old ecu's but stupidly didn't keep the sets together so trying to find out what's what so I can change the ecu properly and see if it's that. I have changed the ecu and bcu but that didn't help but can't have the right pair. It's so strange and infuriating. Had two mechanics out and they can't find out why it's doing it.

redzed
23-03-16, 12:45 AM
I'm going to refit some of the loom I've stripped out see if that has somehow caused it, but I've only taken out the rear doors and roof loom for the sunroof, I did remove the sensor on the b pillar by the door but as I had a car that the previous owner had removed (for whatever reason) I can't see that causing it not to start

Mark S
23-03-16, 08:05 AM
no spark usually crank sensor, poss cam sensor

top_man_eldo
23-03-16, 11:12 AM
Always dislike trying to diagnose a non start problem!

I've had a cam sensor go bad before, similar symptoms to yours, changing it sorted the issue. I also changed the knock sensors on another occasion after poor running and starting problems.

talkingcars
23-03-16, 08:31 PM
Only thing I can think of is the immobiliser at fault.

The immobiliser lets the car start and run for a few seconds.

petet16
23-03-16, 09:11 PM
If you have a mismatched ecu/bcu/fob going on that is your problem

redzed
28-03-16, 04:29 AM
If you have a mismatched ecu/bcu/fob going on that is your problem

the current ecu isnt mismatched and was running recently, i only have mismatched ones to replace the set with which wont solve anything. Going to try cam sensors and knock sensors see if that solves it. Got oem crank shaft sensor and it didnt solve it

redzed
28-03-16, 04:30 AM
The immobiliser lets the car start and run for a few seconds.

nice well looks like its not that then

talkingcars
28-03-16, 09:46 AM
Do you have a OBD2 scanner?
If not consider a www.pscan.eu and then you can match one of your other ECU's to the BCU and at least eliminate that.
It will also give you much more info about the status of the various sensors around the car.

redzed
29-03-16, 08:08 AM
Do you have a OBD2 scanner?
If not consider a www.pscan.eu and then you can match one of your other ECU's to the BCU and at least eliminate that.
It will also give you much more info about the status of the various sensors around the car.

Not seen that, have you used it?

talkingcars
29-03-16, 08:41 AM
I help Phil develop it by providing some of the ECUs he used for setting it up and helping fund the cloud funding.

I have used mine on several cars, it gives so much more info then my scangauge2. For a start it also accesses pre OBD2 MGR ECUs.

It gives live read outs for all the sensors the ECU uses, not just the OBD2 required ones.

It's also incredibly easy to tune in fobs in Lucas 5AS, he hasn't added Pectron yet as he has only recently got hold of the correct alarm ECU but it's coming.

Rockey5uk2001
29-03-16, 09:52 AM
use it for live data and fob coding!?! I'm sold!

redzed
02-05-16, 09:08 AM
It's alive!!!!!!!!! Well finally after changing literally every thing I could and checking everything I could and 3 garages later finally found the fault to be a slightly corroded wire to the cam sensor, weird because it had continuity when tested with a meter but moving it around and it cracked, new whole wire later and now it runs fine. Biggest ball ache I've every had, nice to know 3 other mechanics were stuck on it as well. Anyway thanks for the advice, it's got a new exhaust and remapped ecu now and sounds the nuts, I'll post up some pics as well as its had a repaint and strip down inside and new dash mods as well

Mark S
02-05-16, 09:21 AM
great news :)

talkingcars
02-05-16, 10:56 AM
Pleased it's sorted, simplest faults are the hardest to trace.