PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust.

twilight blue
15-02-08, 10:33 AM
Hi to all
I only joined recently, but i'm afraid i'm off already
I've only had the car since December and the head gasket has gone again, twice in 2 months!!
I had such high hopes for the car ,so I'm absolutely gutted
To Aldon my apologies, the decat will have to go elsewhere
and bigfella, the filter i wanted off you, the same fate, sorry guys.
To all the others who were gracious enough to make me feel so welcome (especially markyZS180), i thank you all very much, I really loved the car, its the most fun i've had with my clothes on, for a long time lol, but i cant keep doing this with the house purchase just around the corner,
If anyone is selling a typhoon blue ZS180 in the near future, beware, there seems to be an inherent fault, that requires further investigation.
so thanks again and all the very best to you all, if i get another beasty,
I now know where to look, cheerio!
Paul

Boot Hill Bandit
15-02-08, 10:34 AM
Dude!!!!!!!!!!! Can you phone Ralph at EMS Ltd right now please! 01634 388999

Talk it through with him........!

Jim

Southern Storm
15-02-08, 11:30 AM
Dammit.......... not another one. Got a feeling a VERY good home can be sorted out for this car though ;)

stamford
15-02-08, 12:34 PM
Head gaskets on the 180 are very rare occurances.............sorry to hear the news mate.

RudeDogg1
15-02-08, 12:37 PM
so has he rung ralph?

RalphG
15-02-08, 12:59 PM
Not yet...

Maxxed_Ross
15-02-08, 02:17 PM
that is totally rubbish! Hope you get something sorted out

Venom
15-02-08, 02:21 PM
WOW!! 2 Head gaskets on a 180.....Now I've never heard of that happening.....

XPCobra
15-02-08, 06:53 PM
was it the same cylinder head that went twice or different ones?

RudeDogg1
15-02-08, 08:08 PM
think he must of just cleared off cuz he didnt ring ralph either

twilight blue
15-02-08, 10:43 PM
hi
cuz i'm on nights this week guys
i spent most of the mornin chasing up the garage i bought it from, consumers advice and trading standards, there is more to this than i am prepared to say at the mo, this is just such a one off the engines are almost bullet proof
then had a kip,
so please believe me i will phone ralph as recommended, tomorrow and discuss everything
plz understand this is not a quick gripe, but my faith is this particular car, NOT the model!!!!, has sadly diminished,
after working for 20 years at Powertrain, Longbridge i know these are well engineered power units
i am so unbelievably gutted
Paul

RudeDogg1
16-02-08, 06:27 AM
sheet sounds bad fella keep us updated hope u get to the end of it

stamford
16-02-08, 08:10 AM
So what are you going to do then? Sell it on or get your money back, if at all possible.................

Shame as it looks stunning.

twilight blue
16-02-08, 08:15 AM
For the record
my wife bought me the car for my birthday, picked it up Dec 8,46K on clock, was told by garage, all relevant information would be posted, mots, ownership slip, warranty book, service history etc. Nothing! Garage contacted me that weekend saying they had made an oversight, we have sold you a car with no MOT, they had car back for a day, done me a few little niggle jobs, oh and they welded an old cat back in the exhaust. Yes, honest! ps sent me wrong warrant and service books off a 25. Over the festive period i noticed i was having to add a little coolant, thats all!! nothing special no gunk, nothin, so thought i had a minor leak. so thought because i have a warranty, i would have a quote from main dealers, not my mates garage, they said water pump was failing, quoted £700+ for pump & 1 belt, £900+ for the 3 belts, warranty only covers £500, so went my mates place, he said water pump HAD failed before and been bodged, not changed, engine must have heat spiked, in his opinion HG HAD gone, he informed me being a dealer himself you must allow the garage i bought the car from to do the work, according to trading standards.
car went back to purchasing garage, after the disaster of the welded cat i was less than confident lets say, was told over the over nxt few days oh yes we have found one of the gaskets may have possibly only slightly to have failed, wanted to go up check the heads were off, was politely told it was all in good hands!
got car back 2 weeks ago, seemed fine, had to top up initially next day with about 1ltr+ of coolant because of a suspected airlock, which they asked me to do, little bit suss as they should have sorted that i thought but hey i missed my car and they knew what they were doing. Then this thurs night en route to work noticed temp gauge slightly above middle, NOT HIGH!! put heater fan on hot and high, cooled engine till pulling 1st available petrol staion, allowed engine to cool, topped up with coolant carried in car, got to work, done shift come out at 6, lifted bonnet saw expansion tank still topped to line, again just a one off i thought so drove home, temp gauge never moved of mean, middle or centre, whatever you call it after warming up. As always i let the car idle for about a min after a longish (motorway especially) journey before switchin off, old habits i suppose, could hear auxillary coolant fan running on high, temp gauge on middle still, remember!!, stereo was on, fan on 2, big exhausts so didn't hear it on, now very concerned as i can now smell, yes smell trouble, allowed to cool topped up with approx 2 ltrs turned on engine, which now sounds like a skeleton playing with him/herself in a biscuit tin, not healthy, plus there is cream cheese spewing out the filler cap after i took it off, classic cross contamination, oil in water, water in oil, if i knew how to to put piccys on by now, i would.
i wont bore you with the garages response but i give you my word, as a MG fan and fellow perv!!, that this is the truth the whole truth and nothin but the truth your honour
Paul

KevG
16-02-08, 11:46 AM
Sorry to read about all the trouble mate!!

One I would say is go to the dealer you got the car from, park on his/her forecourt and tell them to get it fixed or you will involve trading standards/police if they don't fix it, if however you have the car on finance tell the finance company of the woes, and tell them either get it fixed or take the car back, because this car is not fit for purpose regardless of history/mileage, if however you bought the car via a private sale then you do not have any come back whatsoever.

twilight blue
16-02-08, 12:12 PM
its all in pro kev
just got no faith in this garage, but if i have the work done elsewhere they have the opportunity of saying it was not done to their standard, if, IF it fails once more.
For all I know m8 they colud have just belted a load of block sealer in and chanced their arm, now its all gone Pete Tong.
Hands seem tied too cuz i'm skint & cant afford to fork out for the full works that this car desperately needs and i want, cuz of the house purchase.

RalphG
16-02-08, 03:27 PM
It was good speaking to you today, Paul. Hope you get the problem sorted to your satisfaction.

RudeDogg1
16-02-08, 05:00 PM
good luck m8 sounds like you need it just dont give in to any of there ****

Boot Hill Bandit
16-02-08, 09:30 PM
Good luck Paul ;) :console: you have a stunning motor and I hope you can get it sorted and back to a healthy V6 roar as soon as you can.

Ralphs garage (EMS Ltd) did my engine change summer last year......and even though the expenditure far outweighed the value of the car it was and still is worth every penny. I have my doubts at times whether I should keep my car........but that is to do with fuel costs more than anything.

If things turn crap and you after a low miles engine to put your car back onto the road I am sure we can find one. There is one person who is worth his weight in gold on the MG Rover forums for breaking cars.......that person is Sean Kelly........a top bloke who I would never hesitate to recommend if you are after second hand parts.

Best of luck buddy.......good on you for talking to Ralph as well ;) fingers crossed for a happy ending.

Best Wishes

Jim

arwilson80
17-02-08, 02:16 PM
Sorry to hear the 'tale of woe' but ocassionally these things happen. Hope it all works out fr the better. :)

markyzs180
19-02-08, 06:48 PM
GUTTED....

sent you a pm...