PDA

View Full Version : T16 question

ZS Phil
21-08-16, 03:37 PM
I've thought long and hard about what to do with my ZS TD which has been off the road since our epic road trip last year. My head is saying break it for the juicy bits and scrap it (it's not really worth anything otherwise), my heart is saying it's far too nice to break, bite the bullet and get it sorted.

As always with MG's, heart wins.

I have therefore decided to do a T16 conversion (for a variety of reasons which I will record in a new build thread) but it hasn't been an easy decision.

The question (I need to stop rambling) is to do with the wiring

Long term I will be going aftermarket ECU, probably OMEX however initially I want to run the engine relatively standard in order to assure myself its a good one.

To do this I have secured a standard (decoded) ECU and wiring loom. My concern is connecting the ECU to the rest of the car.

I believe people such as "Cableguy" and AMW can make a "plug and play" loom to connect the ECU up with the rest of the car's wiring (to control fans and dash lights etc) but would being the diesel make any difference?

I need to study wiring diagrams really but just wondered if anybody had any advice/ input or if there are any guides anywhere which specifically show how to adapt the wiring looms?

talkingcars
21-08-16, 08:20 PM
I think Dan used a complete loom from a 400 when he did his.

There are only about 8 wires to connect to get it to work.

I did a list of wires when I rewired my T16 maestro which may help you get started.

http://home.btconnect.com/talkingcars/maestromods/electrics/T16engineloom.htm

ZS Phil
22-08-16, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the link, it may well come in useful.

I think I need to find a copy of the RAVE manuals but struggling- can anybody point me in the right direction?

p_b82
22-08-16, 11:43 AM
Sad to hear that you're getting rid/ giving up on the TD.... but I more than understand the reasons given the stalled progress all round....

It's going to be quite a lot of extra work to convert to petrol, but not impossible....

Lukeus101
22-08-16, 12:49 PM
Paul (sneekyparrot) has a Rave that he can email you Phil :)

ZS Phil
23-08-16, 09:44 PM
Sad to hear that you're getting rid/ giving up on the TD.... but I more than understand the reasons given the stalled progress all round....

It's going to be quite a lot of extra work to convert to petrol, but not impossible....

Don't worry, the TD isn't going anywhere, just having a heart transplant. To stay as a TD it would really need a new engine anyway so might as well put something else in now for a change.
My turbo set up etc will be going onto the green 45 eventually which has had loads of TLC so I'll still have an L series to play with :)

Paul (sneekyparrot) has a Rave that he can email you Phil :)

Awesome, I'll send him a message on facebook. Cheers

carmadbaker
26-08-16, 04:59 AM
as talking cars said i pinched the whole 420 gsi loom, bit of aggro but both cars were in bits anyway, for me it was the best way to gurantee everything worked. Joins are a weak point in any leccy system.

ZS Phil
26-08-16, 09:20 AM
as talking cars said i pinched the whole 420 gsi loom, bit of aggro but both cars were in bits anyway, for me it was the best way to gurantee everything worked. Joins are a weak point in any leccy system.

It's something to consider if I dont get anywhere with the T16 diagrams- I'm sorted for ZS diagrams now though.

Lukeus101
26-08-16, 09:51 AM
That itch for boost Phil is contagious....I want T16nessness :(

LukeZS96
26-08-16, 10:00 AM

I seem to have caught the same bug.... God I hate being from Ireland sometimes :( makes everything just that bit harder

p_b82
26-08-16, 10:11 AM
Don't worry, the TD isn't going anywhere, just having a heart transplant. To stay as a TD it would really need a new engine anyway so might as well put something else in now for a change.
My turbo set up etc will be going onto the green 45 eventually which has had loads of TLC so I'll still have an L series to play with :)

well glad to hear that the setup will live and that another L will get to be tinkered with :)

Given the bits and pieces you put on the old TD, I guess it makes some sense to do the T16 to it, rather than find another petrol shell, and transplant then sell/weigh in the dead TD...

Lukeus101
26-08-16, 10:52 AM
I seem to have caught the same bug.... God I hate being from Ireland sometimes :( makes everything just that bit harder

Its a ballache at the best of times let alone being in a different country lol

ZS Phil
26-08-16, 07:03 PM

What are you driving these days? Boost is great :D

It can be done I'm sure :)

well glad to hear that the setup will live and that another L will get to be tinkered with :)

Given the bits and pieces you put on the old TD, I guess it makes some sense to do the T16 to it, rather than find another petrol shell, and transplant then sell/weigh in the dead TD...

With these cars nowadays definitely better the devil you know I think. Being the diesel may actually have some advantages for example I have my "straight through" 2.5" exhaust, the diesel shafts are ideal, string rates are right, ARBs are right, some of the mounts can be used etc. The drawback is having to change the clocks and fuel tank (and associated pump) but that should be pretty easy.

Its a ballache at the best of times let alone being in a different country lol

All part of the fun :)

Lukeus101
27-08-16, 07:20 AM
Sadly no MG Phil :(