PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to move on

grimmy
23-08-16, 12:50 PM
Having a bit of a dilemma here and I don't know what to do.I've had my mk2 180 for twelve years and loved the car to death and in all that time never ever really thought about parting with it but.recently I am really thinking about moving it on and going to pastures new .it still starts stops and drives fine and is still my daily driver but it is getting a bit long in the tooth the gearbox is making a strange noise when the car is warm it needs new discs on the front and the front Jacking points have started to rot a bit and if I am honest I just don't know whether I have the time,energy or inclination to do the repairs myself .the body work and paint is still in decent nick with the odd scuff here and there and when the car is clean it still looks a million dollars.it is a bit of a one off car and It's been loved since I got it and has some nice touches in it that make it quite unique but it's a real quandary for me whether to move on or not.needing advice on what to do guys .keep and repair or move on

ZS Phil
23-08-16, 01:06 PM
Only you can decide but I agree for sure that the ZS is getting on a bit now to be a dependable hassle free daily driver.
You obviously love the car (as I love my ZS's), my solution based on the worthlessness of the cars was to just keep the MGs as toys and buy a newer boring eurobox (BMW 330d) to drive to work etc. You'll regret selling the ZS and bear in mind that if you change your mind they are all getting old and most will have issues so better the devil you know with your current ZS.

peterzs
23-08-16, 01:41 PM
You have to have the LOVE to want to keep the ZS going.

All cars can give trouble, but most do not have the character and head turning ability of the ZS's

Up to you in the long run grimmy, but I still love the ZS

:):):)

Dan1971
23-08-16, 02:27 PM
If you have to ask ....

Sadly you'd get pennies for it. Keep it off road if you have space - tinker - get a trailer and take it to the track maybe.

grimmy
23-08-16, 02:45 PM
That was my plan last year when I bought nors old car Dan but my one just sat in the garage for the winter as I couldn't get off my backside to do anything with it.although it didn't take much to get I back on the road this summer .just not sure what to do at all.and even if I did move on I have no idea what I would go for as I don't really have much spare cash to chuck about.

Dan1971
23-08-16, 03:06 PM
Then I'd say don't bother doing anything pal. Stay as you are - keep it legal, and then when something comes along and you think - "yep that's the next car for me" - that'll be time to move on.

I guess the thing to do is to do the maths. Value what it's worth, add up what you could put to it, and have a look around. No harm in that - I do it all the time - and if there's something you see that you fancy, go for it. If there's nothing out there, then it's just "as you were"

Lukeus101
23-08-16, 04:17 PM
If you are on a tight budget mate I don't thing you can get as much 'bang for buck' as the ZS :)

Dan1971
23-08-16, 06:52 PM
If you are on a tight budget mate I don't thing you can get as much 'bang for buck' as the ZS :)

I think the thing is he's been banging this particular buck for 12 yrs .... and maybe she ain't quite as interesting any more .... ;)

grimmy
23-08-16, 07:14 PM
I think the thing is he's been banging this particular buck for 12 yrs .... and maybe she ain't quite as interesting any more .... ;)

Ha ha ha .hit the donkey square on the **** there Dan.that's exactly what going on I think.

daytona365
23-08-16, 07:42 PM
Well here is my two pennyworth....I have driven some very nice motors, new ones with more power, more reliable....But in my heart the ZS is stuck...Nothing comes as close to it in all round FUN!!!!!! I am never getting rid of mine, even if I win the lottery and I buy the Ferrari...............................

stamford
23-08-16, 08:08 PM
Well when you start thinking like this there is only one outcome, you are already over halfway leaving it by the sounds of it. Best thing is have a budget in mind, includes finance deals, plenty out there for all incomes, bang the upper limit into Autotrader and have a good look through the possibilities. Sometimes you come across something you haven't considered and may find a good buy.

I've felt like you many times with my ZS, hence why it's now just a toy, hobby and project car. Better the devil you know and I have another car as the daily. If I want a change or a laugh I use the ZS but limit the miles on a classic policy. However if you have lost the love then no use fighting it and trying to justify keeping it, time to move on.

If it were closer I would 'pop' round and have a good look and dangle a carrot!

talkingcars
23-08-16, 09:57 PM
Have you changed the gearbox oil since you got the car?
If not you ought to.
And discs are a service item too.

Don't rush into changing, take your time to work out what you want and to find the best example you can.

grimmy
24-08-16, 06:13 AM
Have you changed the gearbox oil since you got the car?
If not you ought to.
And discs are a service item too.

Don't rush into changing, take your time to work out what you want and to find the best example you can.

Gearbox oil has been changed twice since it started James and I know the discs are easy sorted it's really the rot that scares me the most It's something I've never really dealt with and I have never done welding so that is pretty daunting. to be honest I don't want to get rid of it.there is to much of me that's been put into the car and I do still love it to bits.I think I will sorn it come the first frost and get something for the winter again and just need to pull my finger out and get some stuff done over the winter.

ZS
24-08-16, 08:43 AM
I've moved away from a ZS a few times (had 7 of them in my time) but keep coming back to one (normally a 180). I currently have a fairly modified one and am tinkering with it all the time, however it is now a "weekend toy" as my commute to work is about 40 miles up the A3 (Portsmouth to Guildford) and I purchased a ZT-T Diesel as the daily commute, the ZT-T also makes a damn good family car for holidays etc.

I know the risk is I will start doing things to the ZT, I already am but mostly to bring it back into shape, and then the ZS might start loosing out a bit.. But the insurance is cheap enough and the ZS is reliable enough that I just reconnect the battery and go for a blast :) (with the obvious servicing that is required every now and then).

Only you can decide what to do with your car and if you do get rid, what to get in replacement. The above scenario works for me, but might not work for you :) - Good luck with whatever decision you make and stay around, this place will miss you if you don't :lovers:

R8NMG
24-08-16, 12:28 PM
Having a bit of a dilemma here and I don't know what to do.I've had my mk2 180 for twelve years and loved the car to death and in all that time never ever really thought about parting with it but.recently I am really thinking about moving it on and going to pastures new .it still starts stops and drives fine and is still my daily driver but it is getting a bit long in the tooth the gearbox is making a strange noise when the car is warm it needs new discs on the front and the front Jacking points have started to rot a bit and if I am honest I just don't know whether I have the time,energy or inclination to do the repairs myself .the body work and paint is still in decent nick with the odd scuff here and there and when the car is clean it still looks a million dollars.it is a bit of a one off car and It's been loved since I got it and has some nice touches in it that make it quite unique but it's a real quandary for me whether to move on or not.needing advice on what to do guys .keep and repair or move on

You are in the same situation I was but I never had all your car issues. Inevitably the 180 has to go it's just a matter of sooner or later. And most know what decision I made.

Smokey
24-08-16, 10:18 PM
bang the upper limit into Autotrader and have a good look through the possibilities. Sometimes you come across something you haven't considered and may find a good buy.

This is actually how I found my first 180! Diverted me from buying a V6 FTO.

I also know the feeling of a crumbling ZS hence I now have the 6. I don't regret moving to the modern MG but will get another ZS. So I'd keep the one you have and get something newer if you can.

I think the wee Fiat has change how you see your ZS though.

peterzs
25-08-16, 10:26 AM
Thought of you Smokey and the old track car, when I was looking at BTCC, from Knockhill at the weekend.

Looks a good circuit and you did get a feel for how hilly it is.

Smokey
25-08-16, 11:42 AM
Thought of you Smokey and the old track car, when I was looking at BTCC, from Knockhill at the weekend.

Looks a good circuit and you did get a feel for how hilly it is.

Miss doing that. Will happen again though as that's why I will buy another 180. But would get a mk2 this time.

peterzs
25-08-16, 12:11 PM
be good to see.

Are getting bargains now, long as you can get a rust free one.

BUCKYDEVIL
25-08-16, 06:18 PM
You know and admit yourself that the ZS is worth very little money but means a lot more to you having put blood,sweat & beers over it
Certainly invested a lot of time keeping it running & I think you would have sellers regret.
finance & loans are great just now for newer cars Grimmy if you can cope with storing the ZS & rebuild it over time then would that keep you interested ?
Plenty of modern cars that are fun & don't cost too much, I was only 3 grand for a 5 year old car.

Alan.F
25-08-16, 06:25 PM
I didnt really miss my ZS's till Peter Burchill posted this today when i was at Donny in my TB 180, then i thought i need another lol

https://youtu.be/WAnC83yKGfI

p_b82
26-08-16, 10:05 AM
Being honest, I'm in a very similar boat.

I've had my time wasted by some-one who has let me down, and the ZS has sat outside some-one else's workshop for 11 months now because the part I need could arrive "at any time" but hasn't.

When I ordered the mustang, I was expecting the ZS to be back on the drive, and I'd have two cars, take whichever one takes my fancy pending the destination.

I know for a fact that the mustang is faster and more refined in almost every conceivable way to the ZS, and yet I think on a B-road blast, the ZS could well do the trip faster if I was pressing on most def if in the wet, because I know it so well, and am not apprehensive of the performance catching me out.

I'm hoping that when I do eventually see the ZS again, I get in it and fall back in love - otherwise it will be being sold or stripped and scraped.

The only thing that has stopped me tell Matt to strip the car as it stands is the following: I know I will regret not seeing the project through to completion, the money sunk into it is written off already, but until it is finished it would be truly wasted, and I hate wasting anything!

So ask yourself, if you get rid of something you've had for 12 years is it going to hurt short, medium or long term - and can you find something else that can conceivably give you the same joy in your price range?

Cars are just objects, but anything you have around for that sort of time creates a larger bond that people like us find hard to shake....

grimmy
26-08-16, 08:04 PM
So the decision is the old yin is taking where it is.went out for a good girl in it today and had a blast in it.the general consensus is that the diff bearings are definitely dying but for the price of a second hand gearbox or getting the diff sorted out I would be mental to part with it.the wife and I were also taking about the car and the main thing that got said was if we walked out the house and it was no longer there how would we feel and we both said it just wouldn't be right for it not to be there,we have owned the car as long as we have owned the house lol.so that's it the 180 stays.

stamford
26-08-16, 08:21 PM
Great news Grimmy! :w00t:

It is hard parting with something you have put alot of time and effort into. That's why I still have mine, for what they are worth at present it really seems a pity to pass them on for peanuts. Like you have said if you did part with it and then regretted it then it really hits you later on. Funny what these things do to a person/family.

I miss driving mine but at least it is there everyday and I know it'll be fired up again one day.

grimmy
26-08-16, 08:57 PM
Great news Grimmy! :w00t:

It is hard parting with something you have put alot of time and effort into. That's why I still have mine, for what they are worth at present it really seems a pity to pass them on for peanuts. Like you have said if you did part with it and then regretted it then it really hits you later on. Funny what these things do to a person/family.

I miss driving mine but at least it is there everyday and I know it'll be fired up again one day.

I think that has been the problem I haven't driven it.yes I take it to work every day but don't really drive it.went out to see Stephen today and it's a good drive over there and back and driving it over there and back you remember why they are so good and get under your skin even on the motorway they are just nice to drive .happily cruising along but can get chucked about when you want to.it will go off the road in the winter but it will be back around next summer and plenty more to come.hope you get yours back up and running soon Mick.

Dan1971
27-08-16, 11:36 AM
Glad you've got your head straight mate.

daytona365
27-08-16, 03:08 PM
I think it all depends on your feeelings for your car....Too me my car has always been something I couldnt get rid of, I love it too much.......Take steam trains, somepeople say thay are alive, to me it just a load of old metal...........same with planes, thats why I dont do air shows...Im a petrol head, and Im keeping mine, until I die...If petrol is banned or we have so many speed bumps I cant use him, I will still look at him and think NICE CAR......................(I better go back to the asylum now)

welshone
27-08-16, 08:06 PM
I have the perfect solution for you Sir. Don't move on just collect like me lol

Currently have.

Rover BRM & MG ZS Starlight Silver 180

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/wicked7719/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/IMAG0132_BURST019_zpsgjhxp3t5.jpg (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/wicked7719/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/IMAG0132_BURST019_zpsgjhxp3t5.jpg.html)

& newest addition the RX8 PZ Prodrive Black Limited Edition (1of420)

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/wicked7719/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/media_zpslofyq2ht.jpg (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/wicked7719/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/media_zpslofyq2ht.jpg.html)

In all seriousness I'm moving on and the MG and Rover are going :(

ZS
28-08-16, 08:12 AM
I have a spare gearbox if you want it... no odea on getting it to you mind (however I am in lincolnshire next weekend for KKBO)

grimmy
28-08-16, 10:47 AM
I have a spare gearbox if you want it... no odea on getting it to you mind (however I am in lincolnshire next weekend for KKBO)

Thank for the offer Sam but I have one lined up locally for when I need it .