PDA

View Full Version : The XPG ZS

Dan1971
11-09-16, 02:11 PM
Time for my own thread rather than to keep on Jay's for sale thread for updates.

Things to do -

Photos .... ;)

Steering wheel
Check vis
Rust repairs windscreen
Side grills painted
180 badge nearside wing

Maxfly
11-09-16, 03:27 PM
For your vis indicator Dan, there should be two greens lit which will both go out and two yellows come on in their place with, iirc the left one going out first at 3.2k revs and the green coming back on then the yellow on the right goes out at about 4K revs with its green coming back on.....or at least there there abouts, others will likely be able to give a more accurate description.

One thing I played with in my head was getting that roof skin from, I think it was Rimmer Bros and using that to repair the rust but also gain a sunroof from it. Remeberi someone posting a link to it, think it was £10 for the full roof skin. Ultimately dismissed it as too much for me at that time but if they are still available just a thought.

Dan1971
11-09-16, 03:39 PM
For your vis indicator Dan, there should be two greens lit which will both go out and two yellows come on in their place with, iirc the left one going out first at 3.2k revs and the green coming back on then the yellow on the right goes out at about 4K revs with its green coming back on.....or at least there there abouts, others will likely be able to give a more accurate description.

One thing I played with in my head was getting that roof skin from, I think it was Rimmer Bros and using that to repair the rust but also gain a sunroof from it. Remeberi someone posting a link to it, think it was £10 for the full roof skin. Ultimately dismissed it as too much for me at that time but if they are still available just a thought.

So it being yellow isn't a bad thing then ... ?

As for the roof, I think a simple, but thorough repair will be in order.

Maxfly
11-09-16, 04:28 PM
So it being yellow isn't a bad thing then ... ?

As for the roof, I think a simple, but thorough repair will be in order.

Yep, yellow good as
Long as both come on when you sink the boot with the greens both going out then left yellow out, left green on and then right yellow out, right green back on. Definitely worth checking with a vis tester tho as motors might be working but slowly due to sticking.
Good stuff with the roof, simple but effective. Mind if you need a new strip for along the top that Honda Civic ones are far cheaper than X part yins :)

stamford
11-09-16, 04:31 PM
As long as that's the only yellow bit then it's fine! :D

peterzs
11-09-16, 04:44 PM
Oi

:):):):)

Skillen
11-09-16, 07:13 PM
I think I have a ZS wheel with thumb bumps and radio controls back in the old garage Dan.
Unless my dad has thrown them out I'm sure I had two there from a scrap yard hunt along with other bits like accord lights and cup holders.

I can have a look when I'm up next or ask dad to take a look sooner than that.
Oh and welcome to the XPG club. It's a great colour! When mirrored up to a shine!

daytona365
11-09-16, 07:13 PM
Oi

Double Oi !!!

stamford
11-09-16, 07:38 PM
Oi

Double Oi !!!

:laugh: just checking to see if you were still with it!

Dan1971
11-09-16, 07:50 PM
I think I have a ZS wheel with thumb bumps and radio controls back in the old garage Dan.
Unless my dad has thrown them out I'm sure I had two there from a scrap yard hunt along with other bits like accord lights and cup holders.

I can have a look when I'm up next or ask dad to take a look sooner than that.
Oh and welcome to the XPG club. It's a great colour! When mirrored up to a shine!

That'd be great if you don't mind and they are in decent enough nick. Let me know.

Jay also posted that I have a ZR wheel on there at the moment and the TF adaptor, so maybe I'll have another look at a Tf wheel.

talkingcars
11-09-16, 09:07 PM
I will have a TF wheel in a few weeks, not sure of condition but it'll be cheap.
Not that the R45 wheel is better in the ZS.

Dan1971
11-09-16, 09:21 PM
So - If I've got the adaptor for a TF, I need a wheel, airbag and yellow squib/horn bit ... ?

MG ZS STE
11-09-16, 09:26 PM
Or, get a ZS airbag and trim 11mm off the bottom with a hacksaw and then you won't need to change the rotory coupler.

Dan1971
11-09-16, 09:27 PM
Or, get a ZS airbag and trim 11mm off the bottom with a hacksaw and then you won't need to change the rotory coupler.

Good call. I've got a couple of spares. :bow:

talkingcars
11-09-16, 09:53 PM
IIRC the plug at the top of the steering column is the sane on all cars with air bags (F/TF/25/ZR/45/ZS) so both versions of the rotary coupler fit this.

It is the plug on the back of the airbag that changes so an early airbag will fit and early coupler and a late bag will fit a late coupler.

talkingcars
11-09-16, 10:08 PM
Jay also posted that I have a ZR wheel on there at the moment and the TF adaptor, so maybe I'll have another look at a Tf wheel.

The ZR wheel is larger than the TF wheel, if you didn't like the TF one before I wouldn't look fo another one, just look for a decent ZR160 one.

Lukeus101
13-09-16, 08:09 AM
John180 may have a spare TF wheel kicking around if you PM him Dan :)

Dan1971
13-09-16, 06:26 PM
John180 may have a spare TF wheel kicking around if you PM him Dan :)

Will do - Cheers

Dan1971
14-09-16, 05:53 PM
Squeaky clutch sorted after the application of some lube to the pedal .... all good.

Lukeus101
15-09-16, 03:19 PM
Can't beat a bit of lube ;)

Dan1971
16-09-16, 01:13 PM
As she stands at the moment - here you can see the side grill that needs some correction but overall the paintwork is beautiful - never really noticed the silver specs in the XPG but it's very clear on this car.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/xpg%20003_zpsfomj0iuj.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/danlaualex/media/xpg%20003_zpsfomj0iuj.jpg.html)

Engine bay looks the best I've seen. Those lifters are a great addition.

The car is a credit to her former keepers - :bow:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/danlaualex/xpg%20001_zpsg3eruibm.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/danlaualex/media/xpg%20001_zpsg3eruibm.jpg.html)

MG ZS STE
16-09-16, 01:24 PM
Could you maybe just get the remainder of that kack off the side vents? Looks to be flaking off in lovely large flakes. Otherwise shes lookin smokin!

Dan1971
16-09-16, 01:31 PM
Could you maybe just get the remainder of that kack off the side vents? Looks to be flaking off in lovely large flakes. Otherwise shes lookin smokin!

Cheers.

I think it would all polish off if I had some proper equipment and she's got to go in to have the windscreen done so it may as well all be done properly at the same time.

grimmy
16-09-16, 01:52 PM
It always was a very well kept car.sadly it's twin isn't looking so good these days.dodgy back is hampering things again can't even manage to wash the thing properly without me ending up on the couch with a hot water bottle.

Dan1971
16-09-16, 02:14 PM
It always was a very well kept car.sadly it's twin isn't looking so good these days.dodgy back is hampering things again can't even manage to wash the thing properly without me ending up on the couch with a hot water bottle.

:console:

Had my first really bad back spasm ever the other day - hoovering of all things. I've never really suffered before - but - this was really sore !

You have my sympathies mate - you've had a bad back for ages eh - and if you were round the corner I'd come and throw a sponge over her for you ... ;)

grimmy
16-09-16, 02:29 PM
:console:

Had my first really bad back spasm ever the other day - hoovering of all things. I've never really suffered before - but - this was really sore !

You have my sympathies mate - you've had a bad back for ages eh - and if you were round the corner I'd come and throw a sponge over her for you ... ;)

Cheers Dan .it's been okay for a couple of years now but flares up now and again and I seem to be in a middle of a flare up.very annoying but hey ho could be worse.

stamford
16-09-16, 03:58 PM
I tend to use a bag of frozen veg inside a thin tea towel over heat any day. Had my bad back for well over 30 years, 'mechanics back' the doc called it.

Zed is looking awesome Dan...............

Big-Jay
16-09-16, 06:16 PM
She's lookin great dan !

I did start removing that black paint from the passenger side grille after having the drivers side repainted. Was wet sanding with some 2000 grit and then I was going to use some cutting compound to remove the light scratches left over from the sanding stage. Used to do a bit after each time I washed her, extremely time consuming though I find.

peterzs
16-09-16, 08:02 PM
Didn't have that Queen record on, Dan, when you were hoovering???

Car looks good, great engine bay, nice looking mods.

:):):)

Sorry to hear the backs still playing up, grimmy. Hope it gets better, or at least less painful.

Dan1971
16-09-16, 09:15 PM
I tend to use a bag of frozen veg inside a thin tea towel over heat any day. Had my bad back for well over 30 years, 'mechanics back' the doc called it.

Zed is looking awesome Dan...............

Think you've had your back for a few more than 30yrs mate ... ;)

Glad you like it ........

She's lookin great dan !

I did start removing that black paint from the passenger side grille after having the drivers side repainted. Was wet sanding with some 2000 grit and then I was going to use some cutting compound to remove the light scratches left over from the sanding stage. Used to do a bit after each time I washed her, extremely time consuming though I find.

Best left to the pros as far as I'm concerned, not got the patience to do little bits at a time.

Didn't have that Queen record on, Dan, when you were hoovering???

Car looks good, great engine bay, nice looking mods.

:):):)

Sorry to hear the backs still playing up, grimmy. Hope it gets better, or at least less painful.

Might well have been Pete to be honest ... :laugh:

daytona365
17-09-16, 10:22 PM
Looking good, must pop round with the VIS tester soon.....

jc600
18-09-16, 06:09 AM
Very nice ZS you've got there Dan, looking forward to updates. :D

stamford
18-09-16, 09:00 AM
Very nice ZS you've got there Dan, looking forward to updates. :D

Yea echo that.

Dan1971
18-09-16, 10:57 AM

Too late .... ;)

stamford
18-09-16, 08:41 PM
:laugh:

talkingcars
18-09-16, 09:22 PM

Too late .... ;)

You still can, it'll just be a bit further............