PDA

View Full Version : This time it will happen

Craig-ZS180
17-11-16, 09:42 PM
Hey there all once again, we are now 100% on the look out for another 180. Earlier in the year when we were looking we kind of had a very open mind towards what we were going for and we have been through 2 other cars since as just didn't / haven't found something we enjoy as much as 1 the Impreza wagon we sold (guy won't sell it back to me) and 2 the old ZS.
We are now selling our current Impreza to get back into a 180 so will be trawling the ads for a top spec as possible model in as clean a condition as possible.

The 400 is still going strong as my daily and has now gone straight through to go with cams, head work and induction I had originally completed.
Just need another ZS now to complete the driveway :cool2::cool2::cool2:

Lukeus101
18-11-16, 10:22 AM
Good to see you want another Craig :) Welcome home :D

Dan1971
18-11-16, 10:44 AM
Hi pal !

Budget?
Hatch or saloon?
Mk1 or 2 ?

MG ZS STE
18-11-16, 12:34 PM
Theres a MK2 180 hatch in Firefrost just come up ebay. 60K miles FSH belts done 3 years ago, 2 owners £1k ono.

Craig-ZS180
18-11-16, 03:02 PM
Theres a MK2 180 hatch in Firefrost just come up ebay. 60K miles FSH belts done 3 years ago, 2 owners £1k ono.

Have you got a link as my signal for online lookups at work is absolutely shocking! :no:

Craig-ZS180
18-11-16, 03:04 PM
Hi pal !

Budget?
Hatch or saloon?
Mk1 or 2 ?

Hello mate, hope all is well with you?

Up to £2k for a really nice one
Rather a hatch again as just more accessible space for kids stuff
Don't mind either mk1 or 2
Would prefer a darker colour blues, green or maybe some of the reds dependant on overall condition.

stamford
18-11-16, 05:20 PM
Funny how we keep coming back! Pretty sure one will come up, be patient. :yes:

MG ZS STE
18-11-16, 08:42 PM
This.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-2-5-V6-Manual-/201719303600?hash=item2ef7684db0:g:QksAAOSw44BYK2R 4

Craig-ZS180
18-11-16, 11:43 PM
Good to see you want another Craig :) Welcome home :D

Thanks Luke, what are you flying around in at the mo?

Craig-ZS180
18-11-16, 11:45 PM
Funny how we keep coming back! Pretty sure one will come up, be patient. :yes:

Very true Mick, as much as my work colleagues tend to skate the Mg / Rover brand when I took a couple of the techs out in the 400 they were very surprised about how well she goes.
They are very underestimated. Yes I'm sure the right one will come along if I keep my eyes open.
How is yours going now on the conversion front?

Craig-ZS180
18-11-16, 11:46 PM
This.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-2-5-V6-Manual-/201719303600?hash=item2ef7684db0:g:QksAAOSw44BYK2R 4

Appreciate the link, not really what I want to get into. Looks a little too halfords for my liking so just makes me wonder how everything else has been done / treated.

stamford
19-11-16, 02:09 PM
How is yours going now on the conversion front?

Weather is stopping progress plus trying to keep certain people happy! This weekend looks a washout so nothing doing there. Still won't start, the reprogrammed 5AS and fobs isn't working, still waiting on a reply from technozen. Might be better off removing the immobiliser circuit. The xpg one is okay, just keeping it ticking over every week or so.

Dan1971
19-11-16, 02:49 PM
.... The xpg one is okay, just keeping it ticking over every week or so.

I was wondering ....

Craig-ZS180
19-11-16, 02:51 PM
Weather is stopping progress plus trying to keep certain people happy! This weekend looks a washout so nothing doing there. Still won't start, the reprogrammed 5AS and fobs isn't working, still waiting on a reply from technozen. Might be better off removing the immobiliser circuit. The xpg one is okay, just keeping it ticking over every week or so.

Oh things have changed a fair bit since I was last on here then. Didn't realise you had another one too, thought still just your original blue saloon.
Only saw briefly that you were undergoing some big arch mods..
Hope that all gets sorted soon for you then mate and works out well.
What spec is the xpg then as haven't seen that in a thread.

Dan1971
19-11-16, 02:57 PM
Couple of saloons on gumtree - silver and red Mk2s both around £1200.

This hatch looks decent and would leave some money in the pot to bring up to standard but a good starting point if you excuse the sellers poor English.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/mg-zs-180-2.5l-v6-2005/1198194237

stamford
19-11-16, 03:22 PM
Oh things have changed a fair bit since I was last on here then. Didn't realise you had another one too, thought still just your original blue saloon.
Only saw briefly that you were undergoing some big arch mods..
Hope that all gets sorted soon for you then mate and works out well.
What spec is the xpg then as haven't seen that in a thread.

The original blue mk1 is still with me, not going anywhere. We have acquired one of the original site mk2 180s in xpg, was KevG's originally, then Gary, Jay, Dan ;). Too nice a one to pass up so the site owners have kept it. It needs a few little jobs doing but otherwise it will be kept clean and tidy.

Craig-ZS180
19-11-16, 03:37 PM
The original blue mk1 is still with me, not going anywhere. We have acquired one of the original site mk2 180s in xpg, was KevG's originally, then Gary, Jay, Dan ;). Too nice a one to pass up so the site owners have kept it. It needs a few little jobs doing but otherwise it will be kept clean and tidy.

Ah I see, sounds good there Mick. It is always nice to keep the good ones going of whatever brand being referred too.
Didn't think the Blue zed would ever leave you mate, not a chance.

Craig-ZS180
19-11-16, 03:39 PM
Couple of saloons on gumtree - silver and red Mk2s both around £1200.

This hatch looks decent and would leave some money in the pot to bring up to standard but a good starting point if you excuse the sellers poor English.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/mg-zs-180-2.5l-v6-2005/1198194237

Thanks for the heads up Dan, always in the look out mate 👍🏻

Yeah the write up is "interesting" but can get the gist of what's being said.
Don't often use gumtree as find the site is awful to navigate.
My car has just gone this afternoon so am now looking properly.

Craig-ZS180
19-11-16, 03:51 PM

Have just found the threads between both you and Dan with the little who bought it charade lol...
Looks very smart mate, really like the way it looks!

dsirrom
21-11-16, 11:52 AM
Mine is still fort sale if you are interested ...

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=31018

Craig-ZS180
21-11-16, 06:00 PM
Thought had found one that suited, did an mot history check which showed that two years ago failed it's mot badly due to underfloor corrosion on floor pan and chassis mounts :ohmy::wall:
Being sold as an immaculately kept example with low miles. Can't argue with that but the way it's been phrased on its history leaves me a little doubtful about the overall condition and what may be trying to be hidden.
Was a nice looking pre project drive 5dr hatch..

Craig-ZS180
21-11-16, 06:06 PM
Mine is still fort sale if you are interested ...

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=31018

Ideally I am after a hatch I think, the more I look those are the more appealing for overal use and so on.
I will keep yours in mind though as does look a straight example.

Where are you based?

dsirrom
22-11-16, 10:24 AM
Ideally I am after a hatch I think, the more I look those are the more appealing for overal use and so on.
I will keep yours in mind though as does look a straight example.

Where are you based?

I'm in Southampton so not too far from Essex. If you were interested and have an iPhone then potentially (4G signal availability allowing) we could try a FaceTime at the weekend so you could have a proper look around the car in daylight before considering a drive to see it (might help save time etc).

Dan1971
22-11-16, 10:47 AM
For what it's worth Craig having owned both, the only practical advantage I saw in the hatch was the ability to fold the seats and carry longer bits to the tip. The Mk2 boot is massive - seriously. I've found the saloon to be a better drive to be honest with better sound insulation over the hatch.

Your call ofcourse but if you're keeping the hatch 45 you have - any transporting of long bits and bobs could be done in that and save the ZS.

There's a guy selling a saloon via Gumtree who has pics of his on a camping trip - so there's an example of a guy using the saloon to it's full potential.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/for-sale-mg-zs-180/1200796681

Craig-ZS180
22-11-16, 08:14 PM
I'm in Southampton so not too far from Essex. If you were interested and have an iPhone then potentially (4G signal availability allowing) we could try a FaceTime at the weekend so you could have a proper look around the car in daylight before considering a drive to see it (might help save time etc).

I will let you know as potentially have found one almost in my doorstep.
Will keep you posted though.

Craig-ZS180
22-11-16, 08:18 PM
For what it's worth Craig having owned both, the only practical advantage I saw in the hatch was the ability to fold the seats and carry longer bits to the tip. The Mk2 boot is massive - seriously. I've found the saloon to be a better drive to be honest with better sound insulation over the hatch.

Your call ofcourse but if you're keeping the hatch 45 you have - any transporting of long bits and bobs could be done in that and save the ZS.

There's a guy selling a saloon via Gumtree who has pics of his on a camping trip - so there's an example of a guy using the saloon to it's full potential.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/mg/for-sale-mg-zs-180/1200796681

It's a fair shout Dan I just also think I prefer the hatch looks myself (marginally that is)
If I had managed to get hold of my mates dads one which was very rare bringing Nocturne Blue I would've jumped at that one as a saloon.
Gutted it went tbh.
Mk1, iirc 2 owners and was absolutely stunning.

Think just found your old saloon mk2 (red monacos) online did mot history and that too has suffered badly on chassis / floor pan corrosion.
Such a shame as looks lovely up top still.

Dan1971
23-11-16, 08:01 AM
It's a fair shout Dan I just also think I prefer the hatch looks myself (marginally that is)
If I had managed to get hold of my mates dads one which was very rare bringing Nocturne Blue I would've jumped at that one as a saloon.
Gutted it went tbh.
Mk1, iirc 2 owners and was absolutely stunning.

Think just found your old saloon mk2 (red monacos) online did mot history and that too has suffered badly on chassis / floor pan corrosion.
Such a shame as looks lovely up top still.

The silver one I sold to Matt ? Red alcantara ? Link ? That car was solid !

Craig-ZS180
23-11-16, 07:03 PM
The silver one I sold to Matt ? Red alcantara ? Link ? That car was solid !

To be honest now mate, I cannot remember on which site I saw it now. Iirc had plate ending BZS or similar. Starlight silver mk2 saloon, had some aftermarket black alloys on it and the rear lamps had been smoked and yes the red alcantara interior in it.
Other mods on it but as I say did the check on the ref and said it had failed on corrosion on chassis / floor pan just can't remember if it said serious on that one or if that was another.

Craig-ZS180
25-11-16, 06:38 PM
Why is it you show a genuine interest in people's cars and they don't seem eager to get back to you with relevant information about anything.
Every thing looks so promising and then it's the people that let you down.

Used to enjoy car hunting but of recent it's become a far less enjoyable experience.
Only got until the 5th to get a 180 before I need to cancel my insurance and lose a chunk of money. Ruddy cars :wall:

stamford
25-11-16, 07:25 PM
How many miles per year you expecting to do in the 180?

dsirrom
25-11-16, 08:07 PM
Why is it you show a genuine interest in people's cars and they don't seem eager to get back to you with relevant information about anything.
Every thing looks so promising and then it's the people that let you down.

Used to enjoy car hunting but of recent it's become a far less enjoyable experience.
Only got until the 5th to get a 180 before I need to cancel my insurance and lose a chunk of money. Ruddy cars :wall:

Not sold mine yet - although a few calls since it went on Gumtree :-)

Craig-ZS180
25-11-16, 08:33 PM
How many miles per year you expecting to do in the 180?

Could be anything from 5-10k Mick as it would be mixed use between family through the week mostly and occasional taking to work and then the fun car for over the weekends plus whatever meets and so on that I would go to.
The rover currently gets between 10-13k yearly just back and forth from work and to the shops when we don't want to take the nice car.
Between both cars we had last year we did I think nearly 23k but then that was fortnightly and monthly Subaru meets and Brighton charity runs with that group.

Dan1971
25-11-16, 09:44 PM
Dsirrom is keen and just a guess, but, I reckon would flex his price a bit. Have a try of the saloon, you'll have a car so not lose on insurance and if it doesn't work out sell it on.

Craig-ZS180
25-11-16, 10:06 PM
Appreciate that and not meaning to seem like I'm being awkward with it but I am trying to find one that really grabs me like my old one did (that was totally standard when I bought it so wasn't anything special in that way) because I have been through 3 cars already and cannot afford to keep buying and selling and losing out money on them plus my insurance company were getting funny about changing so frequently so need to get one we really want.
Plus me keep changing is starting to wind the wife up so need to do the best I can to keep the peace there too lol

I will be thinking all options over but it's just frustrating that the cars that have really grabbed me are being awkward to get hold of the owners.

stamford
25-11-16, 10:09 PM
Could be anything from 5-10k Mick as it would be mixed use between family through the week mostly and occasional taking to work and then the fun car for over the weekends plus whatever meets and so on that I would go to.
The rover currently gets between 10-13k yearly just back and forth from work and to the shops when we don't want to take the nice car.
Between both cars we had last year we did I think nearly 23k but then that was fortnightly and monthly Subaru meets and Brighton charity runs with that group.

Still a fair few miles then. I was thinking if around 5k max then Peter Best insurance is the way to go. I only pay about £140 fully comp for the modded ZS. Might be worth giving them a call regardless, the only thing I had to do to keep the price down was give them my MGCC membership number for big discount.

Craig-ZS180
25-11-16, 10:22 PM
Still a fair few miles then. I was thinking if around 5k max then Peter Best insurance is the way to go. I only pay about £140 fully comp for the modded ZS. Might be worth giving them a call regardless, the only thing I had to do to keep the price down was give them my MGCC membership number for big discount.

Yes we do a fair few miles between both cars (when we have 2) it's not so much the insurance cost but the time scale my insurance co have given to get the replacement car to put on the policy.
Once renewal comes up (if I don't have to cancel it for now) I will certainly be trying a few of the other companies I tried with my previous 180.

Dan1971
26-11-16, 06:38 AM
Fair enough Craig .... you just came across like there was a time frame issue which was becoming as important as finding a car.

I understand 100% about changing all the time and getting grief from the Mrs. I'm lucky as she's very understanding - and nearly as bad - and to be honest it gets boring. I'm in a 12 month lease car now (extendable to 15) so it's all sorted and we both know that in 9ish months the phone calls and order books will be out again for the next one, but it means for the next year or so I'm not interested in cars which is a first for me since, well, forever!

Well - when I say not interested - I mean apart for trying to source decent cars for guys on here .... ;)

Craig-ZS180
26-11-16, 07:56 AM
Fair enough Craig .... you just came across like there was a time frame issue which was becoming as important as finding a car.

I understand 100% about changing all the time and getting grief from the Mrs. I'm lucky as she's very understanding - and nearly as bad - and to be honest it gets boring. I'm in a 12 month lease car now (extendable to 15) so it's all sorted and we both know that in 9ish months the phone calls and order books will be out again for the next one, but it means for the next year or so I'm not interested in cars which is a first for me since, well, forever!

Well - when I say not interested - I mean apart for trying to source decent cars for guys on here .... ;)

In fairness there is kind of a time frame issue but at the end of the day after messing around as much as we have done already this year I just want to find something we actually want to own rather than make do if you get what I mean. Not in anyway knocking cars that have been suggested but more that they just haven't made me feel "yes that is the one".
Yeah I have seen the posts ref the BMW, looks a very nice car mate. I have been tempted to take up our work lease scheme against one of the A45's or CLA45's but just cannot justify the monthly payments. It is cheaper than normal dues to staff rates but still a lot for not owning the car imo.
If I cannot find one I want before I shall just have to swallow the cancellation charges and then take a new policy out when I did the right one, would rather not but if needs must it's not the end of the world.

Appreciating your searches too mate, you do manage to find them lurking away lol.

Dan1971
26-11-16, 09:15 AM
Mk1 green hatch - looks clean and MOT until Dec 17 without any advisories.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611199907690?make=MG&postcode=cm210jt&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=ZS&sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&page=2

Craig-ZS180
08-12-16, 09:58 PM
Hopefully if all goes according to plan and the car turns out to be as I am hoping it to then I may become the owner of an XPG mk2 hatch over the weekend.
Fingers crossed it is as clean and straight as I have been told.

Dan1971
08-12-16, 11:59 PM
Fingers crossed.

Craig-ZS180
09-12-16, 09:26 AM
Fingers crossed.

Indeed sir. There will be pictures if it all works out. It needs to work out!

Craig-ZS180
11-12-16, 11:48 AM
Picking it up Tuesday after work.! At least I have sorted it all out.

Only have two pictures but cannot upload them at present as my photo bucket account is playing up yet again.

stamford
11-12-16, 02:24 PM
Ooo nice! :D

Dan1971
11-12-16, 04:38 PM
No links to the advert or anything ...hmph ...

Glad you're sorted though mate - welcome back.

Craig-ZS180
11-12-16, 05:05 PM
Well I'm hoping so mick, seemed straight and smart enough. Only needs a few smaller cosmetic issues sorting and wheel refurb and some better rubber on for piece of mind.
It's got good history with invoices for everything, alcantara interior, sunroof, the usual climate control. Extreme and small boot lip spoilers, de cat back stainless exhaust (will be changing as not lloud enough for me)
Also has a silver and black ZS wheel which is odd but works well with the interior.

Wasn't any add for it Dan, it's a guy I know who was selling so has been purely through a private sale and nothing online at all.

Cannot get photobucket to allow me to upload anything at the mo, as soon as it will do I will post up. This is where I think being able to post direct pictures is far better than having to go through a secondary hosting site to do so.
Once it stops being awkward though there will be some pictures :D:D

peterzs
11-12-16, 07:41 PM
Good Luck with it, photobucket is a pain!!

Ours is Ok now, I could post up a Yellow one just to make sure!!

:):):)

Craig-ZS180
11-12-16, 08:07 PM
Good Luck with it, photobucket is a pain!!

Ours is Ok now, I could post up a Yellow one just to make sure!!

Thanks Peter, yes it has definitely gotten worse since I last used it a fair while back. The other forums I've been on with other brands are able to post directly to it so you don't have to worry about the old photobucket.
It just seeems even more convoluted than it used to be lol. Or I have just forgotten what I'm doing.....

Hope you and yours are keeping well mate, been a very long time now.

I think you should mate, just to see who's paying attention :D

peterzs
11-12-16, 08:44 PM
Working OK for me Craig, :laugh:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/ARUNDL%202016/IMG_2194_resize.jpg (http://s297.photobucket.com/user/peterzs/media/ARUNDL%202016/IMG_2194_resize.jpg.html)

Craig-ZS180
11-12-16, 08:54 PM
Working OK for me Craig, :laugh:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/ARUNDL%202016/IMG_2194_resize.jpg (http://s297.photobucket.com/user/peterzs/media/ARUNDL%202016/IMG_2194_resize.jpg.html)

Good picture there :laugh:

Not going to get into the colour war yet, not been back on here long enough :laugh: :laugh:
Honestly looking smart there mate.

Must be me then...

Dan1971
12-12-16, 07:34 AM
Very nice Pete.

The castle that is .... ;)

p_b82
12-12-16, 08:49 AM
Glad you've found yourself a nice one - pretty sure you can use google photo's now in the same way photobucket used to work - if you're and android type person...

Lukeus101
12-12-16, 09:00 AM
So glad it isnt Yellow :D

Craig-ZS180
12-12-16, 09:06 PM
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l546/Craig_Dempsey/IMG_0738_zpszhe98sed.jpeg (http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Craig_Dempsey/media/IMG_0738_zpszhe98sed.jpeg.html)

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l546/Craig_Dempsey/IMG_0736_zpsamlisz1r.jpeg (http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Craig_Dempsey/media/IMG_0736_zpsamlisz1r.jpeg.html)

Here is all I could get it to load at present. Photobucket still playing up and taking me off on some extremely odd links..
Will just leave these here for now until I can get some of my own pictures when I collect the car.

grimmy
12-12-16, 09:15 PM
Very nice and definitely.the best colour out there.:group:

Craig-ZS180
12-12-16, 10:01 PM
Very nice and definitely.the best colour out there.:group:

Cheers Grimmy :)

peterzs
12-12-16, 11:02 PM
looks a good one.

Lukeus101
13-12-16, 07:27 AM
That looks really clean...welcome back Craig officially ;)

Craig-ZS180
13-12-16, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys, hoping it is all as good as it seems. Needs a few smaller cosmetics sorting but other than that all looked good.

p_b82
13-12-16, 09:55 AM
nice - even got the hatch extreme and the lip spoiler...

Of course it is in the best colour too :D

Dan1971
13-12-16, 10:46 AM
Looks a good car mate. Well done. You kids with your loud exhausts .... :no: .... ;)

Craig-ZS180
13-12-16, 11:19 AM
Looks a good car mate. Well done. You kids with your loud exhausts .... :no: .... ;)

Haha thanks Dan. Won't be too loud just want to hear the v6 a little more :)

You know it makes sense ;)

Craig-ZS180
13-12-16, 05:10 PM
nice - even got the hatch extreme and the lip spoiler...

Of course it is in the best colour too :D

Yeah I must admit I liked the fact it had the twin spoilers, something I wanted to do to my previous one but never got round to it.

I must admit the colour isn't what I would've probably gone for had I had loads to chose from but it is one I've always thought looked smart.
No doubt soon I'll be liking it even more. :)

stamford
13-12-16, 06:38 PM
Looks pretty decent. Nice colour too :D

tcb 180
13-12-16, 06:56 PM
Exactly my thoughts. Can't beat a nice shiny xpg

Craig-ZS180
13-12-16, 08:31 PM
Well picked it up easily and she is now home. There are a few things I need to look into (doesn't seem to be anything major, few little clunks here and there) and it certainly needs the induction system sorting. Had forgotten how they feel slightly strangled with a standard setup so that will be ok the list shortly to be sorted by on the whole it drives very nicely, gives the proper surges and appropriate revs and although quieter it sounds nice too.

Fingers crossed she is a good'un :yes::yes::yes: