PDA

View Full Version : MK1 1.8 what to look for

LukeZS96
09-01-17, 11:23 AM
I'm going to look at a Mk1 120 ZS saloon at the weekend, only €450 so I'm not expecting anything immaculate. it has test till April with no advisories from the last test, 3 months tax on it and looks generally clean, is there anything electrical wise I should look out for and do the 1.8's suffer from the same clutch master and slave cylinder problems that the 180s and dervs have? or should I just get a sheddist kit anyway? Thanks in advance

Dan1971
09-01-17, 03:44 PM
How to's and 3 part buying guides have all the info you'll need. Think the clutch issue is more for the V6 but never had a 4cyl one personally I'm afraid so can't help through experience.

https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11254

Lerich
09-01-17, 05:53 PM
A sticking clutch release arm is a more likely cause of transmission grief than a faulty hydraulic cylinder on the 1.8. My 120's sticks slightly, resulting in clutch judder.

Don't forget that the seller keeps the tax so don't let them use it as a bargaining tool.

talkingcars
09-01-17, 07:46 PM
Don't forget that the seller keeps the tax so don't let them use it as a bargaining tool.

The car is in Eire so rules may be different.

LukeZS96
10-01-17, 09:18 AM
Yeah in Ireland tax stays with the car so that's a big bonus, otherwise I'd have to pay something like €300 for 6 months tax. Going for a test drive tonight and hopefully will collect it on Saturday provided the car is good and the cartell (HPI equivalent) history check comes back clear. Can finally take the XPG mk2 off the road then and start all the work on that

peterzs
10-01-17, 11:43 AM
go for a longish test drive so the car gets up to temperature, if its low on fuel offer to stick in a few litres, that's the normal excuse for only letting you go round the block, or take a fuel container with you and top it up!!

Cheaper to put in a bit of fuel than to find there is a problem with the CHG.

I always think you can tell as soon as you drive the car, if its OK or not.

Good Luck with it.

Lerich
10-01-17, 06:45 PM
The car is in Eire so rules may be different.

Ah, I didn't notice his location!

Just as well some tax is included if it's €300 for six months :whip:

LukeZS96
11-01-17, 09:13 AM
Ah, I didn't notice his location!

Just as well some tax is included if it's €300 for six months :whip:

Oh it's an absolute joke, a 180 ZS is €1050 per year to tax, it's daylight robbery over here

Lerich
11-01-17, 04:37 PM
Oh it's an absolute joke, a 180 ZS is €1050 per year to tax, it's daylight robbery over here

That's crazy. Is it co2-based like here?

LukeZS96
11-01-17, 07:33 PM
That's crazy. Is it co2-based like here?

Up to 2008 it's engine sized based after '08 it's CO2

LukeZS96
16-01-17, 07:28 AM
So I picked the car up on Saturday and so far so good, few little niggles here and there such as, a misfire when the car is at idle but it is due a service so hopefully a fresh fuel filter will cure that problem, the central locking locks all doors except the drivers door, have been told that's a dying fob battery or a bad actuator in the door. (it's a Lucas square type fob so if anyone has any input on this would be helpful.) Other than that and a few marks on the body the car is great, big difference between the 1.4 and 1.8 power wise. All in all not bad for 400 quid, will upload a few pictures after it gets a wash

Dan1971
16-01-17, 08:51 AM
Good man - glad you are happy with it. Amazing really what £400 gets you.

peterzs
16-01-17, 12:27 PM
had the none locking door, turned out there is a small plastic bit that connects the bars together and they can snap, or just detach

talkingcars
16-01-17, 07:35 PM
A dying fob battery would stop the car locking, not just one door.
The chances are that it's a warn component in the door.

If you like the power increase with the 1.8 start saving for a 2.5.......

Looking forward to the photos.

Lerich
16-01-17, 09:06 PM
So I picked the car up on Saturday and so far so good, ..... All in all not bad for 400 quid, will upload a few pictures after it gets a wash

Good to hear. Looking forward to the pics.