PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare this weekend.

Skillen
19-02-17, 01:31 PM
Drive up home on Friday 160miles round the corner from my parents house the brakes burst.

Luckily it didn't happen on any of the faster 2:30 of driving really!

Stepped on the brakes to avoid a car coming the other way not giving enough room for me and heard a pop and lost all braking force.

Brake fluid all over the drivers front wheel, limped it the 400meters home with the handbrake and now it's sat on my parents drive.

No jack to get it up and wheel off need to buy a new scissor jack.

Looked at getting it recovered by AA and the like but I needed to sign up £100 then the tow was only free for 50miles then £2-£5 a mile thereafter.

No chance, so I'm on the train home and It's now waiting till Wednesday evening to get couriered down to Chester where I can then look at it all and find out what let go :/

May be the opportune time to upgrade to the Clio brembos on the upside!

Bloody things.

stamford
19-02-17, 02:44 PM
Could have been much worse, glad you are okay. Times like this you should have breakdown and relay cover, I have never been without it!

Skillen
19-02-17, 02:49 PM
Yeah I know. I think I got complacent living where I was with good support around that could get my cars back if needed and having three cars back in the day meant I was never without, now it seems like a necessary thing to have.

stamford
19-02-17, 03:08 PM
It only takes one breakdown and needing recovery and the annual fee has paid for itself already, plus other benefits it can give.

Dan1971
19-02-17, 05:00 PM
Nightmare.

Between you and Mattie, my chances of getting the Mrs to allow me another may have just gone out the window !

Skillen
19-02-17, 06:30 PM
They aren't standard brakes though Dan. You can use that.
Maybe standards wouldn't have given up lol!

peterzs
19-02-17, 06:44 PM
least it was a best, of the worse type of things.

Got you home safely and the car is in a secure place.

Good luck with sorting it.

:):):)

Mark S
19-02-17, 06:58 PM
They aren't standard brakes though Dan. You can use that.
Maybe standards wouldn't have given up lol!

what brakes have up??

Skillen
19-02-17, 07:16 PM
what brakes have up??

They're the brembodge pug 406 calipers.

I have brackets and Clio one piece calipers to go on next. Just needed a reason lol.

Not sure if it's them or a line that's given up the ghost though :/

M17TT180
19-02-17, 07:36 PM
My breakdown cover has paid for its self 100 fold lol.

mattie007
19-02-17, 07:58 PM
Quite a weekend for these cars. I have full breakdown cover through Nationwide Flexplus banking. Works out at £3.50 a month, includes all cars, bikes, campervans and homestart. I've used it about 10 times already! Also covers me as a passenger, can't beat it really. I had 5% battery left and my phone call cut out, luckily I gave them the coordinates from my phone, would have been a very long walk home.

Lukeus101
20-02-17, 07:40 AM
Sounds like a brown trouser moment mate :/ glad you are ok and hopefully a cheap easy fix :)

LukeZS96
20-02-17, 10:30 AM
I have AA brakedown cover. I've only used it once but it's better to be looking at it than looking for it

Skillen
20-02-17, 10:52 AM
I have AA brakedown cover. I've only used it once but it's better to be looking at it than looking for it

My dad has taken great pride in telling me all this lol. I'll definitely get it now lol.

Sounds like a brown trouser moment mate :/ glad you are ok and hopefully a cheap easy fix :)

Luckily driving the last bit is 20mph and the brakes managed to take it down well into the 10's before popping so not too bad with a bit of handbrake!
Hopefully it is. I'll get the new brakes coated up and then fit them instead and probably sell the others and the brackets.

ian zs180
20-02-17, 06:47 PM
Could have been a lot worse mate hope you get it sorted ok

Deckz
21-02-17, 01:37 PM
Drop me a message if selling the 406 setup.

p_b82
23-02-17, 02:13 PM
Oh nasty glad that you were able to get the car stopped....

I'd be interested to know what the failure was when it is tracked down - I (Matt) created new calipers as he wasn't convinced the originals were man enough - mine had evidence of having flexed when they were bought second hand....

And on the subject of breakdown, I never used to have it.. now the only thing I don't have is homestart... needed it for the ZS 4 times now, and it's been shipped up to the farm each time... 150 miles away!

Before I had it and my clutch failed, my dad came and towed me to the local garage near them, nearly drove into the back of him when the brakes got a bit hot on a hill and we had to stop suddenly!

tcb 180
24-02-17, 09:26 AM
Oooops! Nasty! What Master Cylinder is fitted. Has dual circuitry been interfered with?

Should have been left with two working wheels and half a pedal.

pb25
24-02-17, 11:41 AM
I had a caliper bolt snap on the rear resulting in the piston popping out as I broke for the last roundabout on the A66 just before I joined the M6 North. Didn't know and didn't use my breaks again until I decided to stop at some services a few miles up the M6, was doing 80mph as I started pulling off the motorway and no brakes, pedal to the floor! Used the gears and handbrake to slow myself down. There was defo a code brown declared.

I have AA cover and the guy got the bit of snapped bolt out the caliper, went and picked up some brake pads from ECP, rebuilt the caliper and nipped to a mates garage to get a new caliper bolt.....absolutely spot on. Got a ticket from the services car park for being there more than 2 hours haha but got off when I sent a copy of the AA report.

Skillen
24-02-17, 11:58 AM
Got the car back late last night so going to have a look tonight if possible to have a look. Hopefully nothing too bad. Hopefully not the main brake lines and just a flexi or a seal somewhere.

Standard master cylinder and no changes to the rest of the system so not sure why nothing but floor but there was a lot of fluid so I'm guessing I pushed it all out lol.

Fingers crossed for an easy fix to get it back on the road soon.

peterzs
24-02-17, 02:22 PM
Good Luck with it.

talkingcars
24-02-17, 05:24 PM
Oooops! Nasty! What Master Cylinder is fitted. Has dual circuitry been interfered with?

Should have been left with two working wheels and half a pedal.

One of the front hoses on my first car, a Lada 1200, burst when I was sitting outside my girlfriend (now ex wife of 15 years), I was pumping the brake peddle subconsciously when it suddenly went to the floor.

Wisely I didn't say anything but coxed the car half a mile home and sorted it in the morning.

talkingcars
24-02-17, 05:26 PM
Fingers crossed for an easy fix to get it back on the road soon.

Good luck.

Skillen
24-02-17, 09:19 PM
Well the problem was.........

Flexi rubbing on the driveshaft!

Seems that where it was when I put the suspension back on last isn't where it stayed and it moved its way through its retainer which isn't fixed to the pipe and gave it a enough slack to touch the driveshaft and then eventually rub through. Must have been that way a while :/

Glad to say it wasn't the calipers! And should be an easy sort out once I order the pipes again and this time I'll be putting a cable tie each side of the retaining thingy to stop it moving!

I'll order the ZS to Clio lines at the same time as it may as well happen soon and do a test fit of those tomorrow along with try and get the rear braided lines on too,.

Easier said than done with brake lines though.

peterzs
25-02-17, 11:34 AM
glad its sorted and least it went in the best place to get it safe.