PDA

View Full Version : Xpg 180

ZS
04-03-17, 11:56 AM
More information later... But this is PeteT16's old 180 and has been sitting for a while.

I swapped the VIS motor over from my other (now fully dead) ZS and the car now starts (after 5 litres of fuel).

However it runs... lumpy I think is the way to explain it, as if it is hunting. And is very easy to stall just by taking foot off the accelerator whilst moving it on the drive.

So my next point of attack is a full service, all fluids and filters and plugs\coil packs.

Anyone got any other things I should look out for that could cause this?

Thanks
Sam

talkingcars
04-03-17, 12:06 PM
Has it had a lightened flywheel fitted?

ZS
04-03-17, 12:08 PM
Has it had a lightened flywheel fitted?

No idea... stalls worse than my other 180 with a light fly though

sneekyparrot
04-03-17, 12:38 PM
I'd get a cheap ODBC reader to start with.

1. possible miss fire from coil pack
2. TPS sensor
3. idle control valve

all of the above have caused me issues with tick over / hunting / bumpy idle and stalling

P. :-)

talkingcars
04-03-17, 05:36 PM
I'd get a cheap ODBC reader to start with.

scangauge......

ZS
05-03-17, 08:18 AM
Scangauge on the dash reads no issues or faults... what else am I lookng for with it?

talkingcars
05-03-17, 09:18 AM
Use the gauges option to read the sensors to check they are all correct.

ZS
26-03-17, 07:32 PM
Fixed the lumpy idle with new plugs and coil packs.... It still has an odd few seconds here and there but that feels more like IAC, which I will switch over from the other 180.

However I noticed the rear brakes are seized and need a refurb, so went to take the wheels off, only the car has tuner nuts and I don't have a "key"

So... I can either, break out the compressor and use a gun and alloy wheel nut removers (need to buy these though!), or can anyone tell me if you can get replacement "keys" for tuner nuts? (Not locking nuts!)

Skillen
26-03-17, 07:39 PM
What do the nuts look like?
Then we can search for the right one?

ZS
26-03-17, 07:46 PM
What do the nuts look like?
Then we can search for the right one?

This any good?

ZS
26-03-17, 07:47 PM
To be honest, I've just ordered some more nuts online, as these are really tired looking, so not too worried about destroying these ones...

Dan1971
26-03-17, 08:17 PM
Seem to be available everywhere - you can probably get a key from your local Halords or motor factor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUNER-KEY-FOR-ALLOY-WHEEL-NUTS-BOLTS-SLIM-10-STAR-17mm-/140566159867?hash=item20ba6561fb:g:zlQAAOSwcUBYH6p H

ZS
26-03-17, 08:50 PM
Seem to be available everywhere - you can probably get a key from your local Halords or motor factor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUNER-KEY-FOR-ALLOY-WHEEL-NUTS-BOLTS-SLIM-10-STAR-17mm-/140566159867?hash=item20ba6561fb:g:zlQAAOSwcUBYH6p H

Halfords didn't have any... possibly one on the set of nuts I just purchased....

Skillen
26-03-17, 10:19 PM
Internal spline drive it looks like. I did have a set not sure I've got the key though I'll take a look. Can you get a hex bit to fit and bite by any chance?

Skillen
26-03-17, 10:24 PM
Did you buy more tuner nuts?
If so they are normally conical seat and our wheels are dome (cant remember the actual term) seat.
You can get adaptor washers for them if you want them to seat correctly.
I've had mine on years with this setup.

ZS
26-03-17, 11:05 PM
Did you buy more tuner nuts?
If so they are normally conical seat and our wheels are dome (cant remember the actual term) seat.
You can get adaptor washers for them if you want them to seat correctly.
I've had mine on years with this setup.

Yes figured they would come with the "key" and I could swap them over, also they say they fit the zs as a straight fit... will see if its all good when they turn up :)

stamford
27-03-17, 08:40 AM
I had the same problem with T16 Sam. No tool supplied. However the blue ZS nuts used the same key so are pretty standard. I'm looking to buy new as well as somewhat tired.

talkingcars
27-03-17, 08:39 PM
You can get locking nuts which look like the standard ones but have off square splines.

ZS
03-04-17, 01:50 PM
Have got over this issue now and taken off the spacers on the back. I didn't like the fact they are not hub centric and put all the force on the wheel studs.

I couldn't get the fronts off to look at the front brakes, as my jack is too tall to fit under the sills!

So, despite the fact I need new Handbrake Cables, I have cleaned up the rear callipers and they work great again. MOT booked for Wednesday and with any luck I will either know what else needs doing to pass or will have a "clean bill of health" and then start getting on with tarting it up for next week!

stamford
03-04-17, 06:54 PM
Sounds good. I treated my MOT as a pre-MOT. Was surprised it wasn't worse considering the lack of use. I hope the handbrake cables aren't too bad as I found the mk1 a right pita to change.

ZS
05-04-17, 01:37 PM
So, expecting it to fail I put it through the MOT today.

Surprisingly it failed on a few very minor things!

Fuel system component leaking fuel filter (7.2.3)
Nearside Rear Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1)
Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

Breaking the above down a bit:

The fuel filter is leaking at the bottom but this is a brand new part from DMGRS and the mechanic says its a defective filter, so need a new one (again!)

An exhaust rubber has obviously failed, so will find out which one I need and replace.

Meh windscreen wipers, whatever :p

It also had a few advisories:

Oil leak ()
Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)
brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened both front (3.5.1i)
Vehicle structure has slight corrosion (6.1.A.1)
front tyres perished
rear tyres perished

So... all in all with the exception of the oil leak (will look at that as its very small one apparently) its not bad for a car thats been stood for 2 - 3 years!! All a result of standing if you ask me :group:

So, happy with that result, will pick up some halfords specials tonight and put it back in tomorrow or Friday for a clean test.

I do however need to find some way of lifting the front up as my jack doesn't go under the sills!!!

LukeZS96
05-04-17, 02:20 PM
Are the fuel filters in the V6 like the 4 pot K's or are they a cartridge filter in a plastic housing? If it's like the K4's are you sure it's definitely the filter and just not the bottom bolt? I've had to fix a fair few bottom union bolts on the fuel filters in Rovers and MGs of late. I guess from over tightening

ZS
05-04-17, 02:47 PM
Are the fuel filters in the V6 like the 4 pot K's or are they a cartridge filter in a plastic housing? If it's like the K4's are you sure it's definitely the filter and just not the bottom bolt? I've had to fix a fair few bottom union bolts on the fuel filters in Rovers and MGs of late. I guess from over tightening

Bottom bolt?

Not sure till I get to it and have a look. I think its similar to the K4 and its possible it could be the quick release as well (in which case I will steal the one off the green car)

6282tom
05-04-17, 03:34 PM
Seems a good result that, not too much to sort.

You could always jack up the car from the front jacking point if your jack doesn't fit under the sill.

Dan1971
05-04-17, 06:16 PM
Not too bad.

Think I'd look to address the "...slight corrosion" issue sooner rather than later.

stamford
05-04-17, 06:19 PM
That's not a bad fail all things considered Sam. I ended up buying a low level jack from machine mart, my old trusty one gave up with no spares available. You could use the OE jack first then slide the other one in after.

talkingcars
05-04-17, 08:29 PM
Drive the car up onto a brick to get the jack under?

ZS
07-04-17, 10:32 PM
Actually thats not a bad idea... hmmm...

Passed the MOT now, took it out for a proper drive this evening (mrs took it to mot and back) and noticed a few things...

It has blue speedo. Completely blue, looks amazing :) but centre console is orange... so I guess I'm subscribing to project blue at some point!

Gear change is shockingly bad, can't find 5th and ever gear is a struggle to engage correctly. Noticed that the gearstick lifts up and drops down a couple of centimeters, so guess thats the issue. Probably going to rip the whole assembly off the green zs and replace on xpg one. Green one has poly bush and short shifter anyway so seems reasonable.

Found a letter in the car confirming petes insurance till feb this year... thought it was fitting to leave in car for now :)

So, Sunday will be a day of tinkering with the gear change and replacing the battery (which is shot to peices) but she is taxed, mot'd and has insurance. If gearchange is sorted this weekend then ill take her to work this week and on to POL next weekend :)

stamford
08-04-17, 07:13 AM
Good news it is all road legal. Will be a good car once settled.

Dan1971
08-04-17, 07:54 PM
Good news.

MG ZS STE
08-04-17, 10:17 PM
Nice work.

ZS
09-04-17, 07:39 PM
I think these two bits should be together....

Switched over with the green zs's gear leaver and steady bar (couldn't get roll pin out for the UJ so left that for now) and added the short shifter as well.

Then took the car out for a proper drive... wow its quick compaired to the old 180!

Tonight poly bushed the drop links and roll bar at the front, more poly bush to come but at the moment it needs to be good for POL :)

ZS
01-11-17, 02:45 PM
The XPG 180 has been a bit neglected recently, after the crash (see other thread) then repairs then our Mazda dying and then getting the T16...

So I decided to start back up with it recently.

She has been drinking fuel more than I drink Coffee and on investigation the Power VIS was dead, so after a conversation with Byron Rowson on FaceBook I had a new vis motor arrive last week, fitted and the old one returned for Today. - Fantastic service and it turns out Byron is the man who helped Pete out with his VIS rebuilds when needed.

So now VIS is working (although car still feels slow compared to T16!) and the rear quarter has been primed ready for paint.

Now the dilemma. What colour? I have available to me every single paint in existence. AND we are also doing a new product called "Liquid Wrap" which is similar to Plasti-Dip but much much more professional and much better finish (also very good price compared to alternatives)...

Dan1971
01-11-17, 09:31 PM
I did wonder what you were doing with this one.

I'd go dark fantasy or orange grove if you wanted to stay MG Rover. If you don't I'd go for a baby blue - Ford have "Grabber Blue" and I think Renault did a clio sport in a similar shade. Add black wheels/accents and it'd be something very special.

Anything but yellow .....

ZS
29-04-18, 07:19 AM
Things have gone quiet on this front as well. So the trouble is that while stopped on country roads before christmas a Jaguar decided to hit us pretty much head on (he was going much to fast).

Not much damage and he refused to give details, I think there was another thread about it somewhere at the time.

Anyway with the front damaged, the rear damaged and the floor damaged. I took the decision to SORN the car and she now lives inside our booth, only started to let other cars in when they get sprayed.

Given that T16 also has issues, I have decided to retire the 180. At least for now.

I have got an MG6 as a daily runaround and told the GF that she can walk. Ok, I didn't really tell her she can walk....

My dilemma now is that I don't want the car to just rot away, but I also don't want to just part her out and get rid.

So for now, I am concentrating on T16 and once that is back running again I will come back and work out what to do with this 180 (coupe body shell transplant maybe?)

Dan1971
29-04-18, 02:29 PM
Get rid. Sounds like it's been pretty smashed up. Reduce the number of issues you have and space being taken up.

Put the money towards your rebuild and paint for T16.

p_b82
30-04-18, 11:22 AM
I think you need to be honest with the situation and whether the 180 is going to be fixed or if it really is just a case of wanting to hold onto it... a heart vs head decision.

My gut says that park it/strip it and get the T16 sorted, and look at picking up a 180 later if that's what you wish to have as well as or instead of the T16. It's not as if it is a perfect example which just needs a few minor bits, bent at both ends with a damaged floor is not an ideal position for it to be in really..

stamford
30-04-18, 07:13 PM
Try and not let sentiment get in the way. Sounds like it is bad and may well be a moneypit and still with that history of knocks regardless.