PDA

View Full Version : T16 mot

stamford
01-04-17, 09:16 AM
T16 had its pre-MOT earlier. Failed on idle emissions and leaky exhaust. Exhaust being done tomorrow, idle emissions booked in next Friday, no point in me doing it as don't have the equipment to check etc. I was expecting more so quite pleased. They said it was chucking in too much fuel at idle which pointed towards a temp sensor, which I have just replaced! I checked its MOT history earlier and was surprised at how little miles it has done in recent years. Since June 2011 it has covered 4568 miles, since Sept 2013 only done 1210 miles and that includes the trip back from Wales when I collected it. Probably explains the condition of it being covered in so much greenage! Pete obviously didn't go out much. So all going well it'll be at PoL :yes:

grimmy
01-04-17, 10:06 AM
That isn't a bad result really.my zs is still on its sorn although it has nearly a month on its mot but the back has been playing up and I can't do anything to it.I can see it in forty years being a barn find for someone.

stamford
01-04-17, 10:21 AM
Last weekend I struggled under the ZS, gave up as it needed to be up on a ramp. If I kept at it I would only aggravate my back as well. I must get on the blue mk1 more as that could be a future barn find as well! :laugh:

Ritchy
01-04-17, 09:54 PM
lambda might be out due to the leaky exhaust

stamford
02-04-17, 05:00 PM
Popped into Kwik-Fit this morning to get exhaust sealed. Too many joints blowing, they said it really needs some sections welding as there are too many joints, makes sense. So this afternoon I removed the whole system so I could clean the joints and assess the situation. There is a couple of joints where the splits are too long and not overlapping the other pipe. The front pipe has a bracket on the overlap, bit of a bodge. Anyway tried setting up the MIG welder to weld stainless but that went a bit wrong. Gas pipe blew off, nearly shat meself :laugh: So doubt if I can get it re-assembled and re-MOT'd before PoL. Had a bit of a downer today, feels like my MGs are never going to get finished! Days like today I hate cars and wished I never liked them!

talkingcars
02-04-17, 08:49 PM
Sounds like the exhaust that "Zippy" botched on to my T16 maestro.

It shouldn't be too hard to adapt a diesel exhaust to run with the T16 downpipe.

Dan1971
02-04-17, 09:50 PM
Get to a custom fabricator and get it sorted. Nothing wrong with just getting someone to do stuff sometimes.

stamford
03-04-17, 12:47 PM
Get to a custom fabricator and get it sorted. Nothing wrong with just getting someone to do stuff sometimes.

Don't have the spare funds at present. Committed to DIY and baby stuff! Cars are not on the list at present!

Dan1971
03-04-17, 01:24 PM
Don't have the spare funds at present. Committed to DIY and baby stuff! Cars are not on the list at present!

Baby stuff .... ofcourse - I forgot - Grandad ..... ;)

ZS
03-04-17, 01:53 PM
Would the 180 exhaust mount on the T16 Mick?

If so I have a full stainless powerflow duplex sitting on the Green ZS (including decat) that you could use?

stamford
03-04-17, 06:51 PM
Baby stuff .... ofcourse - I forgot - Grandad ..... ;)

Yep!

Would the 180 exhaust mount on the T16 Mick?

If so I have a full stainless powerflow duplex sitting on the Green ZS (including decat) that you could use?

The part that is causing the problem is the downpipe to cat and flexi, right bodge. I did look at stealing the mk1 system but the one taken off is pretty much the same just needs putting together correctly. Thanks anyway.

stamford
04-04-17, 07:40 PM
Small update: dropped off the front and centre section at a fabricator I know in Chichester. He's going to weld the joints and pipes that are giving the problems. Still might be tight for PoL but giving it my best. That will be 6 joints less to worry about!

stamford
08-04-17, 07:15 AM
Exhaust dropped off at home 10 mins ago, £30 well spent. Full centre and front welded. Just got to reassemble this weekend and get it back to the garage.