PDA

View Full Version : I hate cars today!

stamford
08-04-17, 02:35 PM
Having one of those days where I hate anything on four wheels! Hate the T16, exhaust is being a pita, not loving it atm, front pipe is such a bodge. Can't bear looking at the mk1 either, wifes MGF is overheating, losing water but no leaks visible. I'm very close to selling both as had enough of them.

Think I need a step back from all things automotive for a while.

Plus my mum's going downhill, seems everything is conspiring against me.

talkingcars
08-04-17, 03:52 PM
Frustrating.

My free F was overheating and loosing coolant but not obvious leak, although I haven't tested it yet I think it is down to a small split in the header tank.

Dan1971
08-04-17, 07:50 PM
Having one of those days where I hate anything on four wheels! Hate the T16, exhaust is being a pita, not loving it atm, front pipe is such a bodge. Can't bear looking at the mk1 either, wifes MGF is overheating, losing water but no leaks visible. I'm very close to selling both as had enough of them.

Think I need a step back from all things automotive for a while.

Plus my mum's going downhill, seems everything is conspiring against me.

:console:

Our cars are supposed to be our "feel good". Chin up pal and just leave them alone for a bit. Remember why you bought the T16 and what was in your head if you need perspective.

Spend time with your mum over the holidays if you can.

SARENG
08-04-17, 08:50 PM
I echo DAN1971...spend time with your mum. Then everything else will come into perspective. Cars are sent to try us!!!

stamford
08-04-17, 08:58 PM
I've been with her today and on the phone, very trying times.

I'll take a break from cars, too much going on at present, reading that 1st post back is more a rant than anything!

MG ZS STE
08-04-17, 09:45 PM
It's good to vent. Need to do it more myself. cars are replaceable, moms aren't.

stamford
09-04-17, 07:25 AM
This is where I miss having sons! Three daughters are no good for helping their dad under a car! Well Gina would but not with her 'bump' :laugh:

Dan1971
09-04-17, 07:52 AM
This is where I miss having sons! Three daughters are no good for helping their dad under a car! ......

I've got two. Cars get them to and from school. No interest whatsoever ! :no:

talkingcars
09-04-17, 08:19 AM
Luckily of my 2 sons the one who lives around the corner is as into cars as I am, the other wouldn't know one end from the other.

However of my 7 kids (inc. step kids) it's only 2 of the girls who have bothered to get a licence.

stamford
09-04-17, 08:41 AM
When I was racing on the ovals the girls were always at the track with me, with their little racing overalls and wellies on! I took a years sabbatical, 23 years ago! If I had boys I'm sure they would've raced in the juniors and therefore had at least one petrolhead! All my girls drive, two have no interest in cars, just a means of going from A to B, Gina likes her cars, VW nut and would have driven one of the MGs to PoL if I had two runners and if she wasn't 'bumpy' :D

Off out today, break from cars, picking up doors for next weekends DIY, fish and chip lunch and see what happens next. I 'might' go outside if pushed by swmbo, she has hinted at it, just wish I had a pit!

Supercharged_Z
09-04-17, 02:54 PM
We all have them times with cars. Hopefully it will work out

sorry to hear about your Mum.

p_b82
09-04-17, 03:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your family, but agreed when the cars irritate you take a step back....

Hope you don't do what I did with the past 2 days.... Not that the days were bad, but gave myself sunstroke yesterday that kicked in late last night :(

did an 8 mile hike in the black mountains on Friday, but didn't quite have enough water with me, then dug out yet another part of the garden yesterday, put sun-cream on face, neck and arms at the start, forgot I'd not done by back and took my shirt off..... it's pretty tender today so had to hide from the sun :'(

mattie007
09-04-17, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your mum Mick. As said by others, family comes first.
Know how you feel about cars, when I look back over some of my posts when I first got XPG, it was all doom and gloom. Again, posting more to vent my frustration without thinking first! I was hoping to take her to POL but sadly not this year. May pop over in the ZT or 3 though.

stamford
09-04-17, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the comments. Had a better day, did a few things this morning as planned. A neighbour offered assistance if I wanted it. So I got pushed outside. A fresh look at the situation, moved the car and decided to work on the offside. My neighbour Pete (must have been a omen there!) swung the dead blow mallet whilst I held the 4x4 bit of wood, managed to get it on some more. Still around 5/16" short but thought ****** it, it'll have to do. Made up a fill-in piece and covered the piece that may still blow. Got the rest of the system attached then tightened each joint until I got it sitting right. All good and no blowing! Off out for a test drive, fingers crossed. Car booked in this Thursday for final work. Feel shattered though. A lazy evening ahead and a cold beer!

stamford
09-04-17, 07:27 PM
Day has not ended. Just back from mums. Had to call 999, chest pains etc. Nothing wrong, her dementia is causing anxiety problems. They checked everything, ECG etc. Having a cold ale now! What a weekend :no:

LukeZS96
09-04-17, 11:18 PM
Terribly sorry to hear about your mum. Dementia is a horrible and painful illness for all involved. We all need to take a step back now and again. I work on cars all day every day and there are days when I can't even look at any of my own cars I do be that sick of them especially after a bad day in the workshop. Like has been said take a step back spend as much time with family as you want and do a few other things and don't burst straight back into working on the car after getting over a problem. Take it back up in small doses otherwise when you stumble across another hurdle you will be back to square 1

p_b82
10-04-17, 08:16 AM
Glad that the car looks to be bodgable for the MOT and that you got a helping hand - always makes things a little easier I find!

And sorry to hear it's dementia for you mum, went through very similar with my nana not too long ago - it was harder to watch her mind deteriorate, than it was to watch the cancer's she didn't tell us about finish her off (for me anyway).

You have my sympathies it is a very difficult thing to go through.

talkingcars
10-04-17, 08:37 PM
......Off out today, break from cars, picking up doors for next weekends DIY, fish and chip lunch and see what happens next. I 'might' go outside if pushed by swmbo, she has hinted at it, just wish I had a pit!

Fish and chips at the café on the beach at Goring (Worthing) was the carrot to get Mrs TC to take a drive out for the first time in over a year. Not sure why she doesn't drive more often, she had great fun.

When we got home she wanted input on planning some changes to the garden but I managed to get a couple of hours on dropping the front subframe from the F, I'm changing to TF LE500 suspension.