PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger rebuild

Bakermgzs
16-04-17, 05:24 PM
Hi all mg has now been off road for long time but recently I've come into lot money yay!!! So glad didn't sell
But in the time been off road it's game over I think for that car,just such a lot work needs doing I think be better to invest in cleaner zs and just swap all supercharger and other bits over but the big question is,,, the supercharger runs off piggy back ecu which plugs up to the standard Ecu,now the car has been tuned through the piggy back Ecu so all the injectors work harder,
So if Plug up the piggy back Ecu to another Ecu will it all stay tuned????
I no supercharger not exactly commen thing but someone with some knowledge with Ecu would be brill thanks all for time

ZS Phil
16-04-17, 06:03 PM
I don't know much about these piggy back ECUs but to me sounds like a good opportunity to fit an aftermarket ECU which can be properly live mapped rather than relying on something which tricks the standard ECU into doing what you want it to.
Alternatively, if you want to keep the set up exactly as it is now then why not just put your current ECU and 5AS into the new ZS if you want to be sure it will run the same.

Skillen
16-04-17, 07:37 PM
I'm with Phil here. Do it right with bigger injectors and proper mapping and make sure that piston melting doesn't happen to another.
It's a great opportunity to get it running properly.

sneekyparrot
17-04-17, 07:42 AM
Hi all mg has now been off road for long time but recently I've come into lot money yay!!! So glad didn't sell
But in the time been off road it's game over I think for that car,just such a lot work needs doing I think be better to invest in cleaner zs and just swap all supercharger and other bits over but the big question is,,, the supercharger runs off piggy back ecu which plugs up to the standard Ecu,now the car has been tuned through the piggy back Ecu so all the injectors work harder,
So if Plug up the piggy back Ecu to another Ecu will it all stay tuned????
I no supercharger not exactly commen thing but someone with some knowledge with Ecu would be brill thanks all for time

Hi Dean,
Glad to hear you have had some good luck for a change:clap2:

Ok so the piggy back ecu only controls the 7th injector which is activated by the boost sensor.

As already suggested you could just swap all the electric's over or install the piggy back ecu on the new car.

A swap over to emerald / Dta / omex etc would be a better solution as you could control the fueling better but it would require 6 x larger injectors fitted to motor, this has been done by a couple of guys but i dont know what they used or how they fitted them.

Depending on funds you could speak to people like emarald who could install the ecu for you but not sure how they would deal with the injector side of things.

Drew is on here who setup his with a DTA / bigger injectors so maybe he could put more light on the matter.

Other guy who had his setup be emerald was Andy @ Bridge Street Garages 01789765148, Hell you could even offer to by his Charged mk2 running around 255hp and fully setup?

I have a copy of the Sprintex setup manual which shows how to make the electrical connections.

Drop me a PM and i can send you a drop box link.

cheers
Paul

Bakermgzs
17-04-17, 04:50 PM
Hi Dean,
Glad to hear you have had some good luck for a change:clap2:

Ok so the piggy back ecu only controls the 7th injector which is activated by the boost sensor.

As already suggested you could just swap all the electric's over or install the piggy back ecu on the new car.

A swap over to emerald / Dta / omex etc would be a better solution as you could control the fueling better but it would require 6 x larger injectors fitted to motor, this has been done by a couple of guys but i dont know what they used or how they fitted them.

Depending on funds you could speak to people like emarald who could install the ecu for you but not sure how they would deal with the injector side of things.

Drew is on here who setup his with a DTA / bigger injectors so maybe he could put more light on the matter.

Other guy who had his setup be emerald was Andy @ Bridge Street Garages 01789765148, Hell you could even offer to by his Charged mk2 running around 255hp and fully setup?

I have a copy of the Sprintex setup manual which shows how to make the electrical connections.

Drop me a PM and i can send you a drop box link.

cheers
Paul

Thanks for reply
The main reason I ask this question is because the car worked really well befor so I thought it just be easier to rebuild it then go from there
A chap called Gary Anderson tuned it while I was driving it tuning it through all gears
I am very scared to rebuild it all yes I half rebuild it but this time I got rip my engine apart because it is fitted with 2mm compression plates plus take apart the new engine plus all the electrics, boost gauge air/fuel out old car which is scariest bit for me because I've not removed the loom and agin fit all to new car it's Going bloody take forever

Bakermgzs
17-04-17, 05:14 PM
I also had supercharger sent off and rebuilt cost me £1000 by chap called Ian king did good job so that should last long time
I could fix car what u guy think
This what wrong off top my head
Cossmetics.
both bumpers got split
Driver door got dent (cos locked keys in car)
Alloys scuffed
Paint in fair condition but to look nice again needs respray
All door handles lacquer peel off

3cv boots need doing
Rear breaks gone well all now by time get back on road
Plus in time off road abs light now on
Central locking stoped working
Speedo stoped working
Mound on seats
2p coin size stone chip in wind screen

So lot work and time it either that I do,really not problem I could prob sort most of it but is it worth it????

Dan1971
18-04-17, 07:30 AM
Sounds like she needs a fair bit of work - but if it's running OK, cosmetics can be done over time.

You could pick up a tidy mk2 180 for £1500 ish but they are becoming few and far between to be honest with really nice ones going for more, but then you need to do the engine swap. (55 plate black saloon on the bay now with red alcantara for £1850) Depends really on how much money you want to throw at it. Might want to get a bodyshop to quote you for paint and repairs so you know for sure.

Saying that, am I right in thinking yours was cat C or cat D written off at some point? If that's the case in terms of resale/long term value, you might be better getting another one and swapping over the charger. That would make it a 4K+ car straight away.

p_b82
18-04-17, 08:07 AM
I'd say that pending your funds, it would not be too expensive to get yours looking good again and running well, without the hassle of the engine swap.

before you re-spray it, get it properly detailed, yourself or a pro - try to find 2nd hand handles in the right colour same with bumpers & door - may well be cheaper (pending your eye for detail)

Do you mean mould on the seats or a lump? if mould, then a good clean will sort that too... I know mine have had mice and mould set up shop in it over the years!

the other electrical niggles you would possible have yourself as part of an engine swap if you are tapping into the loom, so I'd say work your way round the earths and the connectors and make sure they are not corroded, probably just a connection issue in most cases I'd guess.

I'd be more tempted to get it running right in the current situation again, then consider a swap over if you find a nice doner you'd rather use.....

pb25
18-04-17, 06:45 PM
Might be worth having a chat with James Raby as he will tell you if your paintwork is salvagable, and if it is he would be first on my list to do it

talkingcars
18-04-17, 08:52 PM
If the engine set up is sound I stay with this one, most of the things you list are not serious.