PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 Cill's

LozMachine
09-06-17, 07:53 PM
Hi all , I've made extensive enquiries into having these reproduced in aluminium, just thinking would there be much of a market for these? I know the dimple's on mine do my biscuit tin right in, they really let the car down in a certain light. Dimple's Dimple's Dimple's . Any thought's?

talkingcars
09-06-17, 10:23 PM
Sounds interesting but as they are structural don't they need to be steel so they can be welded to the rest of the body?

LukeZS96
09-06-17, 11:58 PM
Are you talking about the actual sills or the plastic side skirts as part of the 180 kit? If it's a replacement for the plastic skirts as part of the body kit then I will be following this with interest because mine let the car down alot

ian zs180
10-06-17, 07:39 AM
Same here the side skirts are letting mine down aswell . When you give it a good polish and the sun hits it the side skirts look awful . What the hell mgr was thinking putting steel ones bonded to the skirt is beyond me they should have used ally or stainless but then again all down to cost I suppose . The problem is though now the skirt already has the dimples in it wouldn't this mean new skirts aswell and getting hold of them new now would be difficult .

peterzs
10-06-17, 10:52 AM
if it was the plastic side skirts my ones were dimpled by the brackets rustin and pushing them out.

I just pulled them away from the top, got the rusty brackets out and just stuck it all back.

The front one was twisted back on itself where it must have taken a front clout, pushed it away and left a big gap!!

LozMachine
10-06-17, 03:13 PM
Yeah , sorry , should have made that clearer, I'm talking about the actual bodykit part , :yes:

LukeZS96
10-06-17, 03:58 PM
Definite interest in this, just cleaned and waxed the car and the dimples look terrible

stamford
10-06-17, 04:33 PM
Funny you mentioning this, ever since I've had T16 I've noticed the dimples in the mk2 sills. I guess the mk1 used better quality clips? Can't see formed sills in ally being cheap to make. The fixings need looking at as well and doubt that'll be cheap to sort unless a generic stainless clip is found and the sills adapted to accept them? However if you live on the coast the stainless and ally don't mix well. Could be some interest if correct method and parts sourced.

LozMachine
10-06-17, 05:05 PM
Funny you mentioning this, ever since I've had T16 I've noticed the dimples in the mk2 sills. I guess the mk1 used better quality clips? Can't see formed sills in ally being cheap to make. The fixings need looking at as well and doubt that'll be cheap to sort unless a generic stainless clip is found and the sills adapted to accept them? However if you live on the coast the stainless and ally don't mix well. Could be some interest if correct method and parts sourced.

Made of alloy I was hoping the amount of fixing points needed would be considerably less than the plastic item, stainless and alloy are not that reactive together, not like stainless and galvanised where you get the risk of galvanic corrosion . I will email the cad drawing next week and see what prices I can get back , hopefully not too expensive, after all its quite a simple piece of forming ,with it being both flat (sides) and straight.

Mark S
11-06-17, 06:42 PM
the mk2 sills came in a few varieties, I think you'd be better off sourcing the plastic sill with plastic clips, or plastic sill with full height metal clip, there is a good case to get the clips remade in alloy (laser cut with folds) based on the full height ones.

The majority of sills seem to have the half height clips that bond to the side of the sill which when corrode deform the side causing the dimple effect.