PDA

View Full Version : PeteT16's KV6

ZS
11-07-17, 06:29 PM
So.. for those of you not on facebook...

My GF took the ZS out today as her coupe had no fuel, then on a downhill bend at low speed (20 ish apparently) the back end went and she slid sideways into a sign and embankment...

Long shot of it is the car now looks like this...

The worst bits being the duplex and osr quarter...

Any idea how to fix the quarter panel??

Both doors on drivers side are dented, but I recon they will push out and I have spares if not.

Drivers wing and vents are beyond repair, but I have a spare to replace with.

I have got all new suspension bushes, so think I will replace them and refurb the bilstein shocks.

I am missing front anti roll bar bushes, if anyone knows where to get them quick.

Oh and does anyone have a spare extreme spoiler, maybe with bootlid attached? don't care on colour and whole car will be resprayed now :)

Dan1971
11-07-17, 07:15 PM
Hope she's OK. Lot of damage for a 20mph impact ..... Diesel on the road?

ZS
11-07-17, 07:34 PM
Hope she's OK. Lot of damage for a 20mph impact ..... Diesel on the road?

More like aquaplaning, downhill round a bend and she said car just didn't respond, that quarter has taken the brunt of the damage but driving her home and she feels straight and other than that the rest is superficial.

Futher back shot attached

stamford
11-07-17, 09:40 PM
That's a shame, as long as she's ok. That quarter may require a good section welded in, looks too crushed to repair. I did see Rimmers offering side section panels at one point.

ZS
11-07-17, 09:52 PM
That's a shame, as long as she's ok. That quarter may require a good section welded in, looks too crushed to repair. I did see Rimmers offering side section panels at one point.

Yeah, I can't seem to navigate their site on my phone effectively so will check that tomorrow.

I'm hoping to remove bumper etc and have a good look behind tomorrow (weather permitting).

There seems yo be two points of view around this... one that its beyond repair and the other that its an easy fix... nothing in between, will be interesting to know how to sort it myself, but I think a shop might get better results!

peterzs
11-07-17, 11:22 PM
glad they were all OK, cars can be sorted.

p_b82
12-07-17, 08:35 AM
Oh that looks a nasty one for such a low speed hit... hopefully it is an easy fix!

ZS
12-07-17, 09:04 AM
Oh that looks a nasty one for such a low speed hit... hopefully it is an easy fix!

Talking to her last night I think that the main reason is the back end went into a chevron sign and when you look at it, the crease in the rear quarter and boot makes sense. The car has then slid the front into a tree stump, hence the front cill and the branches from other trees made the door dents.

Still I have no reason to disbelieve that it was a low speed incident and she knows I am more concerned that she is ok than the car, it can be sorted and will be :)

p_b82
12-07-17, 10:56 AM
Oh I wasn't doubting the speed, just that it's caused quite a bit of damage as a result of it...

Sounds similar sort of accident to when I put a car upside down, lost the back end on diesel/cowpoo/dust emulsion - over the bonnet at 30mph at the start of the accident, so I know anything is possible!*

With all these things glad that the occupant is ok though - it's a nasty shake up any accident esp the ones you aren't able to see coming too!

*hit drivers side front wing at pretty much 45 degrees on the opposite bank and rotated over to land on the passenger roof

stamford
12-07-17, 12:51 PM
Sam do you need to borrow a car? T16 is available if stuck, it's not perfect but gets you there!

ZS
12-07-17, 01:57 PM
Sam do you need to borrow a car? T16 is available if stuck, it's not perfect but gets you there!

I'm driving the F and she's driving the Coupe, so I think we are covered. Thankyou for the offer though!

Only slight issue is the Coupe is a 4 seater and the F is a 2 seater, so means for the summer, while her son is down as well, we will have to go out in two cars for the time being (3 kids and 2 adults)

mattie007
12-07-17, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear that Sam, glad everyone got out though.
Doesn't look too bad though, at least it drives.

ZS
14-07-17, 07:07 AM
So last night, I took the smashed wing off and the cill wasn't that bad, so straightened it and zinc primered to protect.

Also trial fitted the other xpg bootlid to see how far out the rear is.

Found further damage under the drivers skirt.

Also found the skirts on the green one are much better design with integrated brackets...

Anyway pictures ...

ZS
15-07-17, 02:57 PM
So today I discovered the floor is damaged under the drivers seat, so I will remove seat and carpet to see just how bad... but looks like I may have to find a welder from somewhere and teach myself to weld!

stamford
15-07-17, 03:38 PM
Seems a lot of damage there Sam. Take a slitting saw to the green one and extract a good section of floor pan, do the same to the damaged on the grey one. Ensure no pipes or cables are in the vicinity and bobs your uncle.

peterzs
15-07-17, 03:40 PM
wont it need to go on a jig and be pulled straight??

Drew
15-07-17, 07:46 PM
If the doors open and close properly then probably not.

Drew

Dan1971
15-07-17, 08:21 PM
I'd be thinking of using this to get the green one back to life to be honest ....

ZS
15-07-17, 09:03 PM
Doors open and close properly, all shut lines are good.

But see hole in floor photo attached...

I had considered the green one, but its rusty and got rear end accident damage... plus its been sitting on its belly for a few months and the engine is not as strong as the xpg one...

To say I'm gutted is an understatement. I really do love the xpg car and really would like to get it back on the road if at all possible. But I am wondering which of the two would be easiest to fix at the moment...

peterzs
15-07-17, 10:39 PM
I'm no expert but that looks better when you first said the floor was bent, to me that would have meant the chassis had gone. This however is something that has come up through the floor, so not pushed anything out of shape.

We had a Cavalier and the day before its MOT was giving it a quick check over and found the passenger side carpet was soaking. Lifted it out and the floor had rusted away, being held together with the underseal.

Cut the old floor out and mig welded a new floor pan in. That when I had the use of our workshop at work.

That floor wouldn't worry me, just beat it back into shape and weld a patch over it.

Good Luck with it,

:):):)

When I welded the MGB SILLS and wings I used a hand held tool that crimped the metal so the bit being welded in sat flush, rather than butt the two bits up together, Joggle tool, Not teaching you to suck eggs but it makes it a bit easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqe641IkQkg

redzed
15-07-17, 11:41 PM
No way was this 20mph!

talkingcars
16-07-17, 12:06 AM
That floor looks nasty Sam, does the car still track straight?

stamford
16-07-17, 08:01 AM
That looks like a puncture not crease damage. Crease damage wouldn't split the metal like that, something has pierced it. The seat mount box section looks intact and not creased. Personally I would cut a section from the green one and cut the damage out and lay the good bit over the removed section, weld in place then seam sealer to finish. It doesn't look that bad tbh.

ZS
16-07-17, 08:41 AM
No way was this 20mph!

Like I said no reason to disbelieve her, as I was in guildford at the time and not in the car. The A272 at that point is notorious for accidents, although she has slid across the road into a chevron sign And it looks like most damage is from the sign itself or trees.

That floor looks nasty Sam, does the car still track straight?

It drove lovely on the way home (she didn't think it was drivable, so I rescued her and drove zs home while she drove slippy F home), not taken it out again since though.

I've noticed that the bushes on the front arb are badly worn (although it pass mot few months back..) although I'm not sure how much that would affect things...

talkingcars
16-07-17, 01:25 PM
It drove lovely on the way home (she didn't think it was drivable, so I rescued her and drove zs home while she drove slippy F home), not taken it out again since though.

In that case it should be repairable.

Drew
16-07-17, 04:56 PM
Agreed repairable. But also look at the price of a replacement! before starting on panel work and paint.

Drew

ZS
17-07-17, 09:52 AM
Agreed repairable. But also look at the price of a replacement! before starting on panel work and paint.

Drew

Paint is purely the cost of paint itself and as it was going to get a respray anyway its not any extra really. (We have our own booth and she is an experienced Airbrish artist and automotive\farm machinery sprayer)

Panel work has started, I have almost pulled the rear quarter out and have fully sorted the front sill.

Work has stopped for the moment as I am waiting for a couple of tools to be delivered to finalise the rear and pull the middle bit of the sill out in a more controlled way than pliers and hammer :trampoline:

Now, I was going to keep the car XPG with a special finish, but after this I am wondering about completely changing the colour. I have access to ALL the Monogram colours at cheaper prices than the guys on the group are quoting, but at the moment I am thinking of TVR Cascade Copper...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1140/3314/products/TVR_Cascade_Copper_1024x1024.jpg?v=1499180097

With a bit of artwork hidden under the bonnet and boot maybe....

Still, I need to not get ahead of myself and to make sure it is 100% sorted bodywork wise first before buying paint!

Drew
17-07-17, 12:36 PM
Ahh bonus! I like the monograms but perhaps something unique would be a better shout.
Eventually I'd like to change colours.

Drew

stamford
17-07-17, 07:39 PM
Not a bad idea Sam. Would certainly stir the monogram boys up a bit! :laugh:

Dan1971
18-07-17, 08:47 PM
They'd say .... "Yeah, decent replica mate, but it's not from the factory ! "

Do it .... I love the darker ones ... non purple though !

p_b82
19-07-17, 10:18 AM
I'd go with dark fantasy or something very similar if I were to do some flip paint...

When I ended up getting the ZS issues sorted I nearly did get it a totally non-standard flip colour put on, but felt I could not justify the price!

ZS
21-09-17, 10:13 PM
So car is back on the road, needs a bit of filler at the back and some paint to finish, going to try a new technique I Think...

Also found out that the passenger front anti roll bar bush braket had snapped clean in half, which I believe led to the crash as the rollbar was no longer attached to the car... if that happened mid corner... anyway, replaced with new bushes/link pins and brackets now.

Taken its time as our second car died, so replaced it with an RX8, which then started having issues 2 weeks later, now requires a rebuild of the engine (hoping to sort over next few weeks).

Lukeus101
22-09-17, 11:10 AM
Good old Rotary Engines...still better than a K Series ;)

stamford
23-09-17, 07:20 AM
Good to hear of the progress. RX8, sucker for punishment!

p_b82
23-09-17, 04:11 PM
Glad to hear that it lives again :D

ZS
23-09-17, 05:15 PM
Good to hear of the progress. RX8, sucker for punishment!

Maybe, but it gives you grins everytime you drive it (when it works!)

stamford
23-09-17, 05:18 PM
Maybe, but it gives you grins everytime you drive it (when it works!)

Yea I bet.